The Political Lounge

Taylor Swift Impact on 2024 Election

vcczar

Taylor Swift Impact on 2024 Election  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is more popular among most voting Americans?

2. 2. Who do you think Taylor Swift endorses?

• Joe Biden (as she did in 2020)
    • Donald Trump
    • Neither
  3. 3. Would Taylor Swift as an active surrogate help Joe Biden in the general election if both nominees are virtually tied in the polls at Convention time?

• Yes, and she might be vital to him winning, especially encouraging the youth vote.
    • Yes, although I'm confident Biden wins even if she doesn't make an official endorsement.
    • No, Biden's approval is too low.
    • No, Swift will energize opponents of her music and people that are angry with her dating an NFL football player

6 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

She will until Lana Del Rey endorses Trump and Trump wins in a landslide 🔥🔥🔥 (I am delusional)

I didn't know who she was until I looked her up just now. Seems like she likes Biden more than Trump as most celebrities do:

"Del Rey has frequently been critical of former U.S. President Donald Trump. She has described him as being a narcissist and a product of a culture of sociopathy, stating his mental state makes him devoid of any understanding of what his words and actions can lead to.[274] In January 2021, Del Rey incited commentary for stating Trump "[didn't] know that he's inciting a riot" as a result of his "delusions of grandeur".[275] She was critical of Kanye West in 2018 for his support of former President Trump.[276] During the first year of Trump's presidency, Del Rey alleged she attempted to use witchcraft against Trump.[277] In November 2020, Del Rey honored Joe Biden's election as President of the United States by covering "On Eagles' Wings".[278]"

• Based 1

I really don't understand the hype about her. Even her music is not particularly great. Until about six months ago, I had never knowingly listened to any of her songs. I decided to give it a shot and listened to several songs of her. I liked about two of them, the rest was trash you could easily forget about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I didn't know who she was until I looked her up just now. Seems like she likes Biden more than Trump as most celebrities do:

"Del Rey has frequently been critical of former U.S. President Donald Trump. She has described him as being a narcissist and a product of a culture of sociopathy, stating his mental state makes him devoid of any understanding of what his words and actions can lead to.[274] In January 2021, Del Rey incited commentary for stating Trump "[didn't] know that he's inciting a riot" as a result of his "delusions of grandeur".[275] She was critical of Kanye West in 2018 for his support of former President Trump.[276] During the first year of Trump's presidency, Del Rey alleged she attempted to use witchcraft against Trump.[277] In November 2020, Del Rey honored Joe Biden's election as President of the United States by covering "On Eagles' Wings".[278]"

You don't know her like I do (still delusional)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I really don't understand the hype about her. Even her music is not particularly great. Until about six months ago, I had never knowingly listened to any of her songs. I decided to give it a shot and listened to several songs of her. I liked about two of them, the rest was trash you could easily forget about.

Yeah she's extremely overrated. People like "being a part of the current thing" more than they actually like her music.

2 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

You’re in Vienna, Austria so that might be a difference. She’s been constantly on air for like 8 or 10 years. 3x more Twitter followers than Joe Biden. I don’t know the names of any of her songs, buts she’s arguably the top pop culture presence at the moment. Most of her fans are woman and gay men ages 10 to 35, so that’s another reason you might not understand it. Her music doesn’t do anything for me at all, but I think she’s a positive role model. She doesn’t carry the kind of controversy many music celebs carry. She’s well-behaved and relatively humble for a woman that’s made a billion dollars on sales. She probably has more money than Trump now, or will so soon. 

• Like 1

My biggest issue with Taylor Swift is that she is dating a member of the Kansas City Chiefs... meaning that she may become much more active in Missouri politics one day. Either that or she'll have another break-up song (football edition). That being said, Swift is an entertainer, and therefore left-leaning- and I don't think anyone cares. Every Hollywood popular entertainment personality endorsed Biden last time, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a entertainer who is relevant who is conservative (sorry Jon Voight). Her endorsement will just be added to white-noise echo chamber that the entertainment industry has become. In my opinion, I place her endorsement with the rest of Hollywood- in the trash can.  She is a court jester for all of us common folk who I applaud for encouraging people to vote and usurping Justin Bieber on the radio, but outside of that, I do not see any impact in 2024.

• Agree 1

We need Jason Aldean to come in and squash the Liberals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, DakotaHale said:

TRY THAT IN A SMALL TOWN!!!!!!!

Better than anything Taylor could do 😎

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

You’re in Vienna, Austria so that might be a difference. She’s been constantly on air for like 8 or 10 years. 

She's has become very popular here as well. I guess her name regularly pops up since 4 or 5 years, so she isn't unknown here. It was just me who did not take the time to research here songs for a long time. Since the Kelce thing, people are literally going crazy over her, although the hype already seemed a bit unhealthy for quite a while. Anyway I don't think her music really justifies the hype. It's great when someone can relax to her songs, but they aren't really my cup of tea and as Dakota pointed out it really seems like most people are becoming Swifties just "to be a part of the current thing going on". As I said I liked about two songs, to which I kept listening sometimes afterwards.

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

Most of her fans are woman and gay men ages 10 to 35, so that’s another reason you might not understand it. Her music doesn’t do anything for me at all, but I think she’s a positive role model. She doesn’t carry the kind of controversy many music celebs carry. She’s well-behaved and relatively humble for a woman that’s made a billion dollars on sales. She probably has more money than Trump now, or will so soon. 

Indeed I knew women liked her probably more than men, but I didn't know she's particularly popular in the gay community. If she's really well behaved and humble, I appreciate that. 

On 2/4/2024 at 5:54 PM, ConservativeElector2 said:

I really don't understand the hype about her. Even her music is not particularly great. Until about six months ago, I had never knowingly listened to any of her songs. I decided to give it a and listened to several songs of her. I liked about two of them, the rest was trash you could easily forget about.

You may not be her target audience.  ;c)

The final question didn't have my real answer, which is that I think Swift has little to no impact on the election -- simply because her followers (who you've already described as young women and gay men) aren't exactly MAGA voters anyway.  

The closest she could come to influencing the election is encouraging fans who don't particularly care about politics to  vote -- but I think Trump's presence does that anyway.

• Like 1