The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #470: Barbara Jordan

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #470: Barbara Jordan  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #470: Barbara Jordan

Barbara Jordan (TX-D) was one of the first Black Southern Dem (former Confederacy) to hold Federal elected office, and the first black woman overall. She's best known today for famous 1976 convention speech and her Nixon impeachment speech, both which are often anthologized. She's also famous for having delivered two keynote speeches in her career. She was also 

She didn't rise that high in office, mainly because she was a single, childless black woman from the South in the late 1960s to mid 1980s. Had she been born ten years later she's probably be a SC Justice or cabinet secretary or VP selection. Maybe Speaker of the House. 

I first learned of her from listening to her speeches on Youtube. When I lived in Austin TX, I lived kinda close to Barbara Jordan Highway. I've also been to a life-sized statue of her in Texas. 

Her actions:

Jordan, Barbara 1967 1st African American elected to TX Sen after Reconst, making her a rising star among liberal Dems at age 31
Jordan, Barbara 1972 1st African-American woman elected US Rep in the former Confederacy; She and Andrew Young 1st two black US Reps in South since Reconst
Jordan, Barbara 1974 Celebrated opening statement during Nixon Impeachment hearings considered a canonical speech in US history
Jordan, Barbara 1976 Considered for VP by Carter
Jordan, Barbara 1976 1st African American and 1st woman to deliver a keynote speech at Dem Conv; wins a delegate for president at Conv
Jordan, Barbara 1976 Begins relationship with Nancy Earl that lasts until her death; her sexuality was unknown in her life but b/c LGBT icon after death
Jordan, Barbara 1979 Calls for extending the deadline to the Equal Rights Amendment for ratification
Jordan, Barbara 1992 Delivers Dem Conv keynote speech for 2nd time in her life
Jordan, Barbara 1996 Considered for future SC vacancy by Clinton, but multiple health problems eventually rules her out (dies in 1996 at age 59)
Jordan, Barbara 1994 Chairs US Commission on Immigration Reform
Jordan, Barbara 1995 Proposes 1/3 cut to all legal immigration

Unfavorable strictly on policy, nothing against her as a person. Though a little curious since she was this liberal Dem, what's with the 95 action? Just a byproduct of that time's negotiations? I know way more about Andrew Young than her. (Then again, Andrew Young-land is next door to me.)

Edited by Pringles

5 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Unfavorable strictly on policy, nothing against her as a person. Though a little curious since she was this liberal Dem, what's with the 95 action? Just a byproduct of that time's negotiations? I know way more about Andrew Young than her. (Then again, Andrew Young-land is next door to me.)

She was just being bipartisan. She was leading a committee, so she was issuing a committee recommendation. She’s a team player. 

• Thanks 1