The Political Lounge

1992 Democratic Primary Quickshot RP

Rezi

@Cenzonico @Kitten @WVProgressive @The Blood @Hestia @Fbarbarossa @Sean F Kennedy and any others interested.

Welcome to the triumphant return of the RP. With plenty of user input, there was plenty of demand for bringing back an RP with proper rules such that we may actually finish one. We decided on 1992 Dem Primary as the optimal starting point.

Some base rules, as approved on discord:

Turns: Each turn will represent one week and will include three events from each candidate. If two primaries take place within 2 days of each other, they will be moved into one turn. If two primaries take places 3-5 days of each other, there will be a mini-turn in which 2 events are to occur.

We begin with 10 turns until the Iowa Caucuses. There will be debates, I have not yet decided when they will be. IRL I believe they only started after primaries had begun, but for the sake of intrigue I will have one or two prior to Iowa.

Turn Length: Turns will be 48 hours from the time I call for events. Excused absences are allowed, but I will not allow them to be abused. Missing your events unexused will function on a three-strikes and you're out system. The first missed turn, your candidate will be off the trail that week and will have a 0. The second missed turn, your candidate will be off the trail that week and I'll roll for them between -5 and 0. Third missed turn, you're out and your candidate drops unless someone else is willing to take them on.

IRL Major Candidates:

• Governor Bill Clinton, of Arkansas.
  • Former Governor Jerry Brown, of California.
  • Former Senator Paul Tsongas, of Massachussetts.
  • Senator Paul Kerrey, of Nebraska. @Hestia
  • Senator Tom Harkin, of Iowa.

IRL Minor Candidates:

• Former Senator Eugene McCarthy, of Minnesota.
  • Activist Lyndon LaRouche, of New Hampshire

Alternate Candidates:

• Senator Lloyd Bentsen, of Texas.
  • Senator Joe Biden, of Delaware. @10centjimmy
  • Former Vice President Walter Mondale, of Minnesota.
  • Senator Bill Bradley, of New Jersey.
  • Senator Dale Bumpers, of Arkansas.
  • Governor Mario Cuomo, of New York. @Fbarbarossa
  • Former Governor Michael Dukakis, of Massachussetts.
  • House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt, of Missouri.
  • Senator Al Gore, of Tennessee. @Cal
  • Reverend Jesse Jackson, of Washington DC.
  • Former Senator George McGovern, of South Dakota. @The Blood
  • Senator Sam Nunn, of Georgia.
  • Senator Jay Rockefeller, of West Virginia.
  • Governor Ann Richards, of Texas.
  • Former Senator Pierre Salinger, of California.
  • Actor Paul Newman, of Ohio. @Sean F Kennedy
  • Governor Bob Casey Sr, of Pennsylvania. @WVProgressive
  • Representative James Traficant, of Ohio. @Cenzonico
  • Anyone else you decide to throw in, as long as it's not completely wild.

• Like 1

I am excited to claim Robert P. Casey Sr., Governor of Pennsylvania as my candidate!

• Thanks 1

As always, I refuse to play someone serious in these RPs. Give me James Traficant.

• Thanks 1

@Fbarbarossa @Hestia @The Blood @WVProgressive @Cenzonico @Sean F Kennedy

Basic RP Rules for this one. 3 events per turn, no separate endorsement slot. Iowa Caucuses will occur at the end of turn 11. And here begins turn 1!

I will keep slots open to join until turn 5.

STATE OF THE RACE - 11/25/91

National Polling:

Mario Cuomo: 20% @Fbarbarossa

Bob Kerrey: 14% @Hestia

George McGovern: 8% @The Blood

Bob Casey Sr: 6% @WVProgressive

James Traficant: 4% @Cenzonico

Paul Newman: 2% @Sean F Kennedy

Undecided: 46%

Cuomo will open his campaign with a speech in New York. He'll cite the identity crisis the Democratic party has been going through between "New Democrats", "Atari Democrats", "Southern Democrats" and "Progressive Democrats". It's time to unite the Democratic party again, just like one of his predecessors did. It's a new time, and it's time for a New Deal.

Cuomo will travel to Iowa and meet with local farmers. Just because he's from the city doesn't mean he's afraid to get his hands dirty.

Cuomo will finish the week back up in the North East, joining his campaign team in knocking on doors.

1. James Traficant kicks off his campaign with a speech from his home of Youngstown, laying out the facts straight

"Let's keep it real, George Bush is a free trade crusader who will speed NAFTA through any day now. He doesn't represent the working class of Youngstown, nor the working class of Ohio, the Midwest, and definitely not the country as a whole. You think my opponents will put their foots down? Trust me, they'll sign off on every so called "free trade" agreement they can and cause mass degradation in our communities. You want someone who will stand up for you and fight the special interests? Beam me up! Vote for James!"

2. He may be a working man, but the struggle farmers face is similar. James understand this, he knows he can connect with them, and soon enough he'll make quite the splash, just you wait! But first, James needs to build some name rec. James will barnstorm Des Moines to get people talking about him, he eschews talking policy instead using his charm and wit to make a lasting impression.

3. After a bit of rest, Traficant will head back to Des Moines to hold a rally. He proclaims he will "barnstorm Iowa to heck!" and pledges to "visit all 99 counties if he has to!", as he puts it, "For you, Iowa."

Event One: George McGovern Launches Presidential Bid at University of Iowa
"I'm planting my flag today in yet another presidential contest because America, this promised land of opportunity and the pursuit of happiness, has strayed so far from its founding vision. And in my fellow Democratic candidates, though I see good and honest men, I do not see men with the courage to restore that foundational American promise. To say we can strike boldly on behalf of the downtrodden and forgotten in our society, that we can restore humanity to how this nation is governed. So now, I am running, to be that bold figure saying, 'Yes we can!' Yes we can provide for all Americans, regardless of creed, sexuality, or color. Yes we can guarantee a job, healthcare, and income for every citizen of our nation. Yes we can restore a fair tax code which is not a handout to the already rich and powerful. Yes we can promote humanity and peace in the bright international age we are entering. And yes we can win this next election on a proudly progressive Democratic platform! Join me today, America, for now is our chance to restore the promise of this country."

Event Two: He Who Strikes Boldly

George McGovern, after being quizzed by an activist in Des Moines on the AIDS epidemic and gay community

"I believe what we saw in the last decade, as President Reagan and Washington ignored the plight of our nation's gay community, was not only a betrayal of that community, but a downright dereliction of duty endangering our public health. It sickens me, and as President, I will remain vigilant on behalf of our gay citizens. They are Americans just as you are I are, and everyone in this country deserves the assurance of unrelenting public health resources to confront HIV and AIDS. This is not 'God's punishment,' it is a public health crisis which affects us all! As President, I would enact in full the recommendations of the Presidential Commission on the HIV Epidemic, largely ignored by Presidents Reagan and Bush, and pass another round of legislation and funding to address this issue and further confront unjust discrimination. Defusing this crisis would be the first step of my administration to advance the acceptance and rights of the gay community, because now is the time to extend humanity and progress to those Americans of differing sexualities. We are the gay rights campaign, put bluntly, and I will give no apology for stating such." 

Event Three: Grandpa George

The McGovern campaign will wheel out a new strategy as it kicks off its Iowa campaign, tapping into youth enthusiasm as a path to shake the foundations of the political world. The campaign will spread a mass of fliers across Iowa universities, preaching what "Grandpa George" endorses in his presidential bid. Here are a few of the fliers' proclaimed taglines:

"Grandpa George endorses National Health Insurance, no American goes bankrupt from medical bills!"

"Grandpa George endorses military spending cuts, the Cold War is over, bring the money home!" 

"Grandpa George endorses jobs guarantee, no American goes without work, repair our roads and clean our cities!"

"Grandpa George endorses equal rights for all, revive the E.R.A. and take a stand against AIDS!"

"Grandpa George endorses $5,000 a year for every adult, guaranteed income as a right of citizenship!"

Edited by The Blood
  • Based 1

Campaign Launch: Shaker Heights, Ohio

”My friends, I’ve been an actor for almost 50 years now. And I’ve seen a lot of bad actors, well I can say that without a doubt George HW Bush is the worst actor ever! This man says he’s a moderate, but stood by the Reagan White House though extremist measure after extremist measure. He looked the other way during Iran Contra, and yes… he raised taxes… now while Pat Buchanan will stop there and then scapegoat a minority group… let’s go further in the economic effects of that. The majority of the brunt of those tax hikes was not the millionaires, it was the everyday workers like here in Ohio! He wants to push forward NAFTA that hurts our workers and unions here at home. We need a strong and united Democratic Party, a Democratic Party that can build a multiracial coalition of working class people. We need to beware the threat of false populists, we need someone that will roll up their sleeves and fight for the hard working families of this country. That is why today I’m throwing my hat into the ring as a candidate for President of the United States!”

Event 2: Dixville Notch, New Hampshire 

Today Presidential Candidate Paul Newman visited the small town of Dixville Notch the famous community that votes midnight of the New Hampshire Primary. He talked about their concerns economically, telling stories about his history of political activism and promising to look out for every American ensuring nobody is left behind.

Event 3: South Bound to Georgia

Paul knew he would have to eventually make amends with Former President Carter, the man he refused to vote for in 1980, but that’s for another day. Today Newman traveled to Atlanta, Georgia in an attempt to build the African American vote in his favor, something he desperately needed to win the Democratic nomination, especially with a certain Arkansas governor potentially waiting in the wings to shake up the race. He even spoke with Martin Luther King’s children and spoke about the legacy of their father.

Event One:

Bob Casey Sr. will invite the press to his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania to announce his candidacy for President as a Democrat

"Before I begin, let me thank my beautiful wife Ellen, and our eight wonderful children without who's support I would not be standing in front of you today. For the past four years I have had the privilege to lead the great state of Pennsylvania, and the duty to fight for the honest, hard-working people who make up our communities. My administration has been one of good works, dedicated to using the awesome power of government to protect the interest of the little guy. With the co-operation of the legislature we reformed our welfare system to reduce waste while still protecting the most vulnerable of our society, we introduced the most comprehensive child health insurance program in the nation, and we put in place landmark legislation to protect the lives of unborn children. I am here today to announce that I am running for President to bring this Pennsylvania style of pragmatic progressivism to the national stage. I know that the press likes to focus on my opposition to abortion-on-demand - and I will not shy away from the fact that this is a pro-life campaign - but I want to emphasize as I begin this journey that this campaign is about so much more. It's about returning our economy to growth, and reforming our broken welfare system. It's about eradicating corruption from our political system, and returning power to the common man. It's about ending childhood poverty, and ensuring their children are not saddled with debt. More than anything, it's about progress. Progress doesn't mean yelling and division, it means working together to make this country a better place for all Americans."

Event Two:

Bob Casey tours Iowa to speak with voters about his plan to bring CHIP to the national stage

"The current state of Healthcare in this country is a travesty. It is unacceptable that in the greatest nation on Earth, millions of our children are forced to go without medical treatment because they simply cannot afford it. In Pennsylvania we passed the Child Health Insurance Program, which ensures that every child regardless of income level has access to healthcare. I will use this program as a model for a federal CHIP program that will ensure every American family can bring their child to a doctor without worrying about going bankrupt. This program is the crucial first step towards universal health coverage that my good friends Senators Wofford and Rockefeller have been fighting so passionately for, and is fully paid for by increases on cigarette taxes."

Event Three:

Casey heads to New Hampshire to talk about his position on crime, gun control, and the death penalty

"The need to combat the rising crime rates cannot be overstated, however we must go about countering crime in the proper way. What we can't do is use crime as an excuse to trample on our constitutional liberties by passing ineffective gun control legislation. Nor should we turn our backs on the underpinning civil right of all western civilization: the right to life. Fundamentally, the government does not have the right to deprive anyone of life, even the most vile scum of the Earth, for such decisions are solely the domain of almighty God, and not of man. I am proposing a thirty-five-billion-dollar investment towards improving our prisons, our rehabilitation programs, our crime prevention programs, and law enforcement organizations at the federal, state, and local level."

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey launches campaign in Sioux City, IA 

Nebraska's Bob Kerrey jumped across the state line to launch his campaign earlier this week in Sioux City, a large city in western Iowa. He fashioned a message based on competence and keeping the country moving in the right direction, contrasting himself as a 'country boy' from Nebraska facing some of the bigger city names and governors. Kerrey argued that it was time to present a strong challenge to President Bush after years of Republican misrule in D.C., especially pertaining to the economy. 

Kerrey: NAFTA's Democratic Champion

Kerrey stays in western Iowa to build a base, speaking in a town hall in Atlantic. He takes a swipe at his fellow competitors for opposing the NAFTA plans and says that it will unlock free trade opportunities for Iowan grain and agricultural products that will be going to Mexico and Canada, reducing prices for farmers and allowing them to gain a bigger profit by partnering with 'good, neighborly countries' like Canada and Mexico. 

New Hampshire journey

Kerrey visits Nashua for his first visit outside of the state of Iowa, holding a meet and greet with voters in the city. The senator knows that his name recognition isn't as high in the state and hopes to introduce himself to voters there as a compromise-minded, mild-mannered Democrat with a strong spine, allowing his wife to give a speech on his Medal of Honor he received while serving in Vietnam. 

Senator Al Gore (D-TN) would like to throw his hat into the ring. (I considered Jimmy Carter but decided against it)

Quick question on form: do I get three events this turn or next as this is me joining the race?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

If there's still a spot, I'll throw in for Senator Joe Biden

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Senator Al Gore (D-TN) would like to throw his hat into the ring. (I considered Jimmy Carter but decided against it)

Quick question on form: do I get three events this turn or next as this is me joining the race?

Welcome both of you! To answer Cal’s question for you both, your turns will begin next turn. But fret not, all events for turn 1 are finished so next turn is gonna start tonight!

22 hours ago, Fbarbarossa said:

Cuomo will open his campaign with a speech in New York. He'll cite the identity crisis the Democratic party has been going through between "New Democrats", "Atari Democrats", "Southern Democrats" and "Progressive Democrats". It's time to unite the Democratic party again, just like one of his predecessors did. It's a new time, and it's time for a New Deal.

Cuomo will travel to Iowa and meet with local farmers. Just because he's from the city doesn't mean he's afraid to get his hands dirty.

Cuomo will finish the week back up in the North East, joining his campaign team in knocking on doors.

Campaign Launch: 9. Cuomo was a big name heading into primary season, and his campaign launch was even better than expected! Even 47 years after his death, invoking FDR is still very popular within the Democratic Party. And with the Republicans looking unstoppable... maybe it is time to bring back the New Deal coalition?

Iowa: 4. Cuomo is pandering to the farmers, and they can tell. They get it, but at this point they just don't get why they would support this guy over someobdy who, you know, actually understands their plight.

Northeast: 7.  The campaigning is a success. All across New York and New England, voters are receptive to Cuomo's message.

Overall: +5. Cuomo, despite a slipup in Iowa, has had a strong first week of his campaign. He continues to surge in his strongest region, the Northeast, and it could be a good fallback region for him in the primaries.

21 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

1. James Traficant kicks off his campaign with a speech from his home of Youngstown, laying out the facts straight

"Let's keep it real, George Bush is a free trade crusader who will speed NAFTA through any day now. He doesn't represent the working class of Youngstown, nor the working class of Ohio, the Midwest, and definitely not the country as a whole. You think my opponents will put their foots down? Trust me, they'll sign off on every so called "free trade" agreement they can and cause mass degradation in our communities. You want someone who will stand up for you and fight the special interests? Beam me up! Vote for James!"

2. He may be a working man, but the struggle farmers face is similar. James understand this, he knows he can connect with them, and soon enough he'll make quite the splash, just you wait! But first, James needs to build some name rec. James will barnstorm Des Moines to get people talking about him, he eschews talking policy instead using his charm and wit to make a lasting impression.

3. After a bit of rest, Traficant will head back to Des Moines to hold a rally. He proclaims he will "barnstorm Iowa to heck!" and pledges to "visit all 99 counties if he has to!", as he puts it, "For you, Iowa."

Campaign Launch: 5. The launch is about what anyone who knows Traficant expected it would be. He has his very specific group of fans, but he's gonna find it hard to break through keeping with the same message.

Iowa: 2. The people of Iowa are just... weirded out by Trafficant. He seems to falsely believe that he has charm and wit, when really he just repels everyone he talks to.

Iowa: 3. People are offended that he used 'heck' instead of 'hell'. Most County Democratic Leaders would much rather he not visit their county.

Overall: -5. Traficant has not found a way to break through to anybody but his most fervent fanboys yet. It would seem he needs to do some work on himself before working on the nation.

20 hours ago, The Blood said:

Event One: George McGovern Launches Presidential Bid at University of Iowa
"I'm planting my flag today in yet another presidential contest because America, this promised land of opportunity and the pursuit of happiness, has strayed so far from its founding vision. And in my fellow Democratic candidates, though I see good and honest men, I do not see men with the courage to restore that foundational American promise. To say we can strike boldly on behalf of the downtrodden and forgotten in our society, that we can restore humanity to how this nation is governed. So now, I am running, to be that bold figure saying, 'Yes we can!' Yes we can provide for all Americans, regardless of creed, sexuality, or color. Yes we can guarantee a job, healthcare, and income for every citizen of our nation. Yes we can restore a fair tax code which is not a handout to the already rich and powerful. Yes we can promote humanity and peace in the bright international age we are entering. And yes we can win this next election on a proudly progressive Democratic platform! Join me today, America, for now is our chance to restore the promise of this country."

Event Two: He Who Strikes Boldly

George McGovern, after being quizzed by an activist in Des Moines on the AIDS epidemic and gay community

"I believe what we saw in the last decade, as President Reagan and Washington ignored the plight of our nation's gay community, was not only a betrayal of that community, but a downright dereliction of duty endangering our public health. It sickens me, and as President, I will remain vigilant on behalf of our gay citizens. They are Americans just as you are I are, and everyone in this country deserves the assurance of unrelenting public health resources to confront HIV and AIDS. This is not 'God's punishment,' it is a public health crisis which affects us all! As President, I would enact in full the recommendations of the Presidential Commission on the HIV Epidemic, largely ignored by Presidents Reagan and Bush, and pass another round of legislation and funding to address this issue and further confront unjust discrimination. Defusing this crisis would be the first step of my administration to advance the acceptance and rights of the gay community, because now is the time to extend humanity and progress to those Americans of differing sexualities. We are the gay rights campaign, put bluntly, and I will give no apology for stating such." 

Event Three: Grandpa George

The McGovern campaign will wheel out a new strategy as it kicks off its Iowa campaign, tapping into youth enthusiasm as a path to shake the foundations of the political world. The campaign will spread a mass of fliers across Iowa universities, preaching what "Grandpa George" endorses in his presidential bid. Here are a few of the fliers' proclaimed taglines:

"Grandpa George endorses National Health Insurance, no American goes bankrupt from medical bills!"

"Grandpa George endorses military spending cuts, the Cold War is over, bring the money home!" 

"Grandpa George endorses jobs guarantee, no American goes without work, repair our roads and clean our cities!"

"Grandpa George endorses equal rights for all, revive the E.R.A. and take a stand against AIDS!"

"Grandpa George endorses $5,000 a year for every adult, guaranteed income as a right of citizenship!"

Launch: 2. Who are you, again? The youth don't hate what you're saying, but they just have no clue who you are. A few of them have heard their parents proudly proclaiming how they voted for George McGovern 20 years ago, but that just puts them off more than endearing them to you..

Gay Rights: 9. It's a hit! LGBT Democrats appreciate somebody who can finally understand their plight. McGovern aces the quiz on HIV/AIDS, and it proves to many that he's not just a poser trying to capitalize on the issue, but a true ally.

Grandpa: 1! Gross! What are you doing??? The youth don't want to vote for their grandpa, they want somebody spry and sprightly, not old and wrinkly! At Iowa State University, there's even an event where the Nixon Club gathers around a bonfire and burns your fliers while chanting ancient latin script that seems to entrance everybody who hears it into hating you.

Overall: -5. At least the gays like you? But man, the youth of Iowa sure don't. I think they'd rather elect their own grandpas right now.

17 hours ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Campaign Launch: Shaker Heights, Ohio

”My friends, I’ve been an actor for almost 50 years now. And I’ve seen a lot of bad actors, well I can say that without a doubt George HW Bush is the worst actor ever! This man says he’s a moderate, but stood by the Reagan White House though extremist measure after extremist measure. He looked the other way during Iran Contra, and yes… he raised taxes… now while Pat Buchanan will stop there and then scapegoat a minority group… let’s go further in the economic effects of that. The majority of the brunt of those tax hikes was not the millionaires, it was the everyday workers like here in Ohio! He wants to push forward NAFTA that hurts our workers and unions here at home. We need a strong and united Democratic Party, a Democratic Party that can build a multiracial coalition of working class people. We need to beware the threat of false populists, we need someone that will roll up their sleeves and fight for the hard working families of this country. That is why today I’m throwing my hat into the ring as a candidate for President of the United States!”

Event 2: Dixville Notch, New Hampshire 

Today Presidential Candidate Paul Newman visited the small town of Dixville Notch the famous community that votes midnight of the New Hampshire Primary. He talked about their concerns economically, telling stories about his history of political activism and promising to look out for every American ensuring nobody is left behind.

Event 3: South Bound to Georgia

Paul knew he would have to eventually make amends with Former President Carter, the man he refused to vote for in 1980, but that’s for another day. Today Newman traveled to Atlanta, Georgia in an attempt to build the African American vote in his favor, something he desperately needed to win the Democratic nomination, especially with a certain Arkansas governor potentially waiting in the wings to shake up the race. He even spoke with Martin Luther King’s children and spoke about the legacy of their father.

Launch: 7. Republicans elected an Actor. Who's to say Democrats can't either? Newman's approach has populists and workers looking intently at him as a candidate.

New Hampshire: 7. The community of Dixville Notch welcomes Newman with warm arms. They aren't all going to vote for him, but they're all big fans of Slap Shot, and think he represents the message of the movie well. 

Georgia: 7. The African-American community of Atlanta favorably receives Newman. Dr. King's children enjoy his company, and their meeting makes the local newspapers.

Overall: +6. Newman's campaign approach is working. He's successfully able to use his acting career and wealth to his advantage and utilize his name recognition well. Can he continue the momentum into the campaign?

15 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Event One:

Bob Casey Sr. will invite the press to his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania to announce his candidacy for President as a Democrat

"Before I begin, let me thank my beautiful wife Ellen, and our eight wonderful children without who's support I would not be standing in front of you today. For the past four years I have had the privilege to lead the great state of Pennsylvania, and the duty to fight for the honest, hard-working people who make up our communities. My administration has been one of good works, dedicated to using the awesome power of government to protect the interest of the little guy. With the co-operation of the legislature we reformed our welfare system to reduce waste while still protecting the most vulnerable of our society, we introduced the most comprehensive child health insurance program in the nation, and we put in place landmark legislation to protect the lives of unborn children. I am here today to announce that I am running for President to bring this Pennsylvania style of pragmatic progressivism to the national stage. I know that the press likes to focus on my opposition to abortion-on-demand - and I will not shy away from the fact that this is a pro-life campaign - but I want to emphasize as I begin this journey that this campaign is about so much more. It's about returning our economy to growth, and reforming our broken welfare system. It's about eradicating corruption from our political system, and returning power to the common man. It's about ending childhood poverty, and ensuring their children are not saddled with debt. More than anything, it's about progress. Progress doesn't mean yelling and division, it means working together to make this country a better place for all Americans."

Event Two:

Bob Casey tours Iowa to speak with voters about his plan to bring CHIP to the national stage

"The current state of Healthcare in this country is a travesty. It is unacceptable that in the greatest nation on Earth, millions of our children are forced to go without medical treatment because they simply cannot afford it. In Pennsylvania we passed the Child Health Insurance Program, which ensures that every child regardless of income level has access to healthcare. I will use this program as a model for a federal CHIP program that will ensure every American family can bring their child to a doctor without worrying about going bankrupt. This program is the crucial first step towards universal health coverage that my good friends Senators Wofford and Rockefeller have been fighting so passionately for, and is fully paid for by increases on cigarette taxes."

Event Three:

Casey heads to New Hampshire to talk about his position on crime, gun control, and the death penalty

"The need to combat the rising crime rates cannot be overstated, however we must go about countering crime in the proper way. What we can't do is use crime as an excuse to trample on our constitutional liberties by passing ineffective gun control legislation. Nor should we turn our backs on the underpinning civil right of all western civilization: the right to life. Fundamentally, the government does not have the right to deprive anyone of life, even the most vile scum of the Earth, for such decisions are solely the domain of almighty God, and not of man. I am proposing a thirty-five-billion-dollar investment towards improving our prisons, our rehabilitation programs, our crime prevention programs, and law enforcement organizations at the federal, state, and local level."

Announcement: 8. The people of Pennsylvania are fired up to see their beloved governor running for President. And this love is starting to catch the attention of national Democrats. His pro-life stances are still a tough hold, but his pragmatic progressive campaign is catching the eye of many.

Iowa: 9. Voters love Casey's pitch for nationwide CHIP! Parents across the state are big fans of the idea that they wouldn't have to worry about choosing between rent and their child's health.

New Hampshire: 7. The voters of the Live Free or Die state are susceptible to Casey's pro-liberty pitch. They hate crime as much as anyone, and they're happy to see a Democrat take novel stances towards fixing it.

Overall: +9. Casey has had a terrific start to his campaign, doing all the right things in all the right places. He has the momentum he needs in the early primary states, can he capitalize on it?

4 hours ago, Hestia said:

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey launches campaign in Sioux City, IA 

Nebraska's Bob Kerrey jumped across the state line to launch his campaign earlier this week in Sioux City, a large city in western Iowa. He fashioned a message based on competence and keeping the country moving in the right direction, contrasting himself as a 'country boy' from Nebraska facing some of the bigger city names and governors. Kerrey argued that it was time to present a strong challenge to President Bush after years of Republican misrule in D.C., especially pertaining to the economy. 

Kerrey: NAFTA's Democratic Champion

Kerrey stays in western Iowa to build a base, speaking in a town hall in Atlantic. He takes a swipe at his fellow competitors for opposing the NAFTA plans and says that it will unlock free trade opportunities for Iowan grain and agricultural products that will be going to Mexico and Canada, reducing prices for farmers and allowing them to gain a bigger profit by partnering with 'good, neighborly countries' like Canada and Mexico. 

New Hampshire journey

Kerrey visits Nashua for his first visit outside of the state of Iowa, holding a meet and greet with voters in the city. The senator knows that his name recognition isn't as high in the state and hopes to introduce himself to voters there as a compromise-minded, mild-mannered Democrat with a strong spine, allowing his wife to give a speech on his Medal of Honor he received while serving in Vietnam. 

Iowa: 5. Kerrey came out and he just overall seemed... uninteresting. The people of Iowa feel that this is a message they've heard before. He doesn't gain any detractors but he doesn't gain any new support either.

NAFTA: 4. Overall, this town hall is pretty uneventful, except for a small skirmish when a few protectionist farmers heckle Kerrey, claiming that NAFTA would allow foreign farmers to undercut their prices and profits.

New Hampshire: 5. People show up to Kerrey's event, but he just hasn't figured out how to be exciting yet. The people of Nashua show him nothing and he gives nothing in return.

Overall: -1. Not a horrible starting turn for Kerrey, and he's started ahead enough in Iowa that he still has momentum there, but this turn allows for others to close in on him.

• Like 2

National Democratic Primary Polling - December 2nd, 1991: 

Mario Cuomo: 22% (+2)

Bob Kerrey: 13% (-1)

Bob Casey Sr: 9% (+3)

George McGovern: 6% (-2)

Al Gore: 5% (+5)

Paul Newman: 4% (+2)

Joe Biden: 3% (+3)

James Traficant: 2% (-2)

Undecided: 36% (-10)

Iowa Democratic Primary Polling - December 2nd, 1991:

(I didn't post initial Iowa polling, but I did have it. That's what the +/- are from).

Bob Kerrey: 26% (-2)

Bob Casey Sr: 14% (+3)

Mario Cuomo: 11% 

George McGovern: 5% (-3)

James Traficant: 4% (-2)

Al Gore: 4% (+4)

Paul Newman: 3% (+1)

Joe Biden: 3% (+3)

Undecided: 30% (-4)

A new turn, and new 48-hour window has begun! By next turn, New Hampshire polling will be fully cooked and Maine/South Dakota will be getting there.

@Cenzonico  @WVProgressive @The Blood @Hestia @Fbarbarossa @Sean F Kennedy @10centjimmy @Cal

• Like 1

Event 1: University of New Hampshire 

Newman would visit Durham, New Hampshire and visit the college there where he would speak about making the ability to buy housing easier for younger people getting out of school and beginning entering the workforce. He takes photos with some of the university professors who are more familiar with his movies.

Event 2: Iowa Fair

Newman visits the Iowa State fair where an odd boy from Princeton University who is visiting strikes up a conversation, the surrounding crowd hears Newman become uncomfortable after speaking to the young man, his name Ted Cruz…

Event 3: Maine visit and Endorsement request

After a series of town halls in Maine Newman visits Edmund Muskie legendary political titan in The Pine Tree state, he will then request his endorsement to hopefully gain traction in this early state.

1. Senator Biden announcement at the U.S. Senate: "Folks,  I think it's pretty clear right now that the country has taken a back seat in the world under President Bush. We were the industrial power! And now, millions of good, hardworking Union jobs are just plain gone. I've got news for you, pal, with Bush and some of my colleagues in this race,  they ain't coming back without strong, driven leadership.... and that's why I'm stepping up, to support the folks that made this country great. I'm ready to go, lead us into the 21st century and not leave the hardworking middle class behind!"

2. Senator Biden Rally in Portsmouth, NH: Biden attacks President Bush's domestic policies as hurting the American worker, and instead benefiting shareholders and "corporate welfare crooks". Biden unveils a domestic industry reinvestment plan to revitalize communities hit hardest by factory closures dating back to the early 1980s.

3. Biden visits Monticello, IA ice cream parlor: Senator Biden drops in on the Cone Shoppe for a chocolate chocolate chip cone and interacts with local caucusgowers, highlighting his commitment to supporting needs of voters specifically through investments in rural education and healthcare. 

1. Charlatans! Rid the lot of them! They may not like him now, but the will of the people will not be denied! Traficant will go through the 99 county plan to the best of his ability, and it's going to go great! He can take Polk off the list to start off, and he decides to go up to Story County to kick off his tour. He sets up a booth near Iowa State University and let voters meet with him directly. He prepares a few key talking points, 1. NAFTA is a Ponzi Scheme, 2. The IRS is a sham and must be abolished, and for some more normal ideas, 3. Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare, and 4. The military budget should see some cuts. Beam me up!

2. Traficant then goes over to Marshalltown, where he just decides to get up close and personal and knock on doors himself. Surely the people will enjoy a little one on one?

3. Now to Tama county, where he visits Toledo, Iowa. This time, James actually has campaign pamphlets to give out listing the same points he used back in Ames plus some other important stuff like his plan to combat the drug crisis with no quarter, getting better pay for teachers nationwide, etc. He knocks on doors and hands them out, and offers to chat some more if wanted.  

Edited by Cenzonico

4 minutes ago, wendell willkie fan said:

Former Vice-president Walter Mondale wouls like to enter the primary

Welcome, we'll get you in here next turn!