The Political Lounge

An Election Reform Idea

vcczar

Let me know if you think the following reform would lead to better candidates or not:

- Abolish the primary. 

- Abolish the convention. 

- No candidate runs under a party. They run under their name and their policy ideas. 

- Anyone running for president must submit mental health, physical health, criminal background check, financial statements, etc. before they can officially be a candidate. 

- Their policy ideas and goals, as well as a shortlist for VP, cabinet, and Supreme Court Justices must be submitted before as well. These lists can be modified, but they’re helpful. 

- They must ace a basic US Constitution test (no trick questions) before they can be a candidate. 

- With no primary, we will have a general election from Jan to Election Day. There will be one debate per month with the top 5 polling candidates in the debate. Plus two others polling at least 1% who are chosen at random. Undercard debates are an option. 

- Candidates who declare for the presidency cannot officially drop out and endorse. They will be on the ballot. 

- The top ten polling candidates will be on every state’s ballot on Election Day. 

- Voters will rank their choices. If no one gets 50%+1 on the first count, then the bottom candidate is removed, and his supporter’s votes then move to their second choice. And so on until someone gets a majority of votes. 

How would you rank this ballot for 2024?

Joe Biden

Donald Trump

RFK Jr

Cornel West

Jill Stein

Joe Manchin

Larry Hogan

Ron DeSantis

Nikki Haley

Mark Cuban

1. RFK Jr.

2. Joe Biden

3. Mark Cuban

4. Cornel West

5. Larry Hogan

6. Joe Manchin

7. Nikki Haley

8. Jill Stein

9. Ron DeSantis

10. Donald Trump

1. Cornel West (only because this election system allows him a shot at winning--Biden is the only option for me in the current system)

2. Joe Biden 

3. Jill Stein (I do NOT like her and I really dislike her Russian policy, but she's great on environment and most domestic policy)

4. Joe Manchin

5. Larry Hogan

6. RFK Jr (if not for vaccine policy and a few other things, he'd do a lot better)

7. Mark Cuban

8. Nikki Haley

9. Donald Trump (worst in many ways, but he's so incompetent and self-sabotoging, that I fear him less than DeSantis)

10. Ron DeSantis

1. Nikki Haley

2. Larry Hogan

3. Joe Manchin

4. Mark Cuban

5. Joe Biden

6. Ron DeSantis

7. RFK Jr

8. Cornel West

9. Jill Stein

10. Donald Trump

1. Ron DeSanctimonious

2. Larry Hawgin

3. Rob Zombie-voice (proud of this one ngl)

4. Mark Cubanstein

5. Joe Manchin (lil yachty)

6. Cheeto Man

7. Brandon

8. Nimarata Randhawa

9. Lady Nader

10. Dr. Brotha Cornel West

But in all seriousness I do not think the system would provide better candidates and can provide a short counter-argument (short bc I'm on mobile).

To start I think competency tests are akin to Jim Crow literacy-tests (huge exaggeration but you get the point), and I don't trust the national or state governments enough to ensure they're ran fairly. Also in theory an election should serve as a "competency test" in itself. Additionally I'm against forcing candidates to disclose personal financial information (tax returns and etc.) but slight bias there mostly because I wouldn't do it myself if I were running. I am okay with the background checks (though, to my imperfect and potentially incorrect knowledge I thought convicted felons were banned from running from office anyways, at least for violent/sexual/financial crimes but idk could be wrong).

Mental and physical health checks (along with age limits) I'm unsure of. In theory voters should be smart enough to weed out the bad candidates but obviously we got stuck (again) with a hospice patient and a guy potentially facing the death penalty so who knows.

Parties are bad but they may be necessary in theory. Every monarchy, presidential and parliamentary Republic, dictatorship and even totalitarian regimes have at least one party or something akin so I don't know if it's possible to not have one on a national scale. 

I am strongly in favor of national ranked-choice and automatic win for 50%+1 however.

4 hours ago, Pringles said:

1. Nikki Haley

2. Larry Hogan

3. Joe Manchin

4. Mark Cuban

5. Joe Biden

6. Ron DeSantis

7. RFK Jr

8. Cornel West

9. Jill Stein

10. Donald Trump

We agree on 2, 4 and 9 🤝

Everything else is a little different but that's ok

15 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. Cornel West (only because this election system allows him a shot at winning--Biden is the only option for me in the current system)

2. Joe Biden 

3. Jill Stein (I do NOT like her and I really dislike her Russian policy, but she's great on environment and most domestic policy)

4. Joe Manchin

5. Larry Hogan

6. RFK Jr (if not for vaccine policy and a few other things, he'd do a lot better)

7. Mark Cuban

8. Nikki Haley

9. Donald Trump (worst in many ways, but he's so incompetent and self-sabotoging, that I fear him less than DeSantis)

10. Ron DeSantis

fwiw West's Russian policy is essentially the same as Stein's if not worse. For me, that's a non-starter essentially. 

https://www.salon.com/2023/07/29/how-russian-colonialism-took-the-western-anti-imperialist-left-for-a-ride/

So my ranking would be

1. Biden

2. Manchin

3. Hogan

4. Cuban

5. Haley

6. RFK Jr.

7. Stein

8. DeSantis

9. West

10. Trump

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:43 PM, vcczar said:

Let me know if you think the following reform would lead to better candidates or not:

- Abolish the primary. 

- Abolish the convention. 

- No candidate runs under a party. They run under their name and their policy ideas. 

- Anyone running for president must submit mental health, physical health, criminal background check, financial statements, etc. before they can officially be a candidate. 

- Their policy ideas and goals, as well as a shortlist for VP, cabinet, and Supreme Court Justices must be submitted before as well. These lists can be modified, but they’re helpful. 

- They must ace a basic US Constitution test (no trick questions) before they can be a candidate. 

- With no primary, we will have a general election from Jan to Election Day. There will be one debate per month with the top 5 polling candidates in the debate. Plus two others polling at least 1% who are chosen at random. Undercard debates are an option. 

- Candidates who declare for the presidency cannot officially drop out and endorse. They will be on the ballot. 

- The top ten polling candidates will be on every state’s ballot on Election Day. 

- Voters will rank their choices. If no one gets 50%+1 on the first count, then the bottom candidate is removed, and his supporter’s votes then move to their second choice. And so on until someone gets a majority of votes. 

How would you rank this ballot for 2024?

Joe Biden

Donald Trump

RFK Jr

Cornel West

Jill Stein

Joe Manchin

Larry Hogan

Ron DeSantis

Nikki Haley

Mark Cuban

Realistically, it just isn't enforceable.  They might not run under a "party" but they will still need a network of well-funded friends and allies, a volunteer system, etc etc, that will functionally be a party.  And whoever has that broadest support -- IE the strongest party -- is most likely to win.

Submitting the documents sounds great, but Trump paid his kook doctor to falsify his, so it's not an incorruptable system.

Running a national year-long campaign costs $$$$$$.  That money will now be split between at least ten candidates, so whoever has the richest friends wins.

Anyway, ranking them:

Joe Biden
Larry Hogan
Joe Manchin
Nikki Haley
Mark Cuban
Jill Stein
Ron DeSantis
Cornel West
RFK Jr
Donald Trump

Cornel West (I'm currently actually going to vote for him, I live in NYC though now so..)

Mark Cuban

Joe Biden

Jill Stein

RFK Jr

Larry Hogan

Nikki Haley

Donald Trump

Ron DeSantis

Tallying where we're at so far.  Need 6 to win.

First ballot: 
Biden 5
DeSantis 2
Haley 2
RFK 1
West 1

Eliminating Trump, Stein, Manchin, Hogan, and Cuban for zero votes...but because they had zero, there's no second choice amongst their supporters (because there are no supporters.)

Eliminating RFK & West as the lowest vote getters.  Both their supporters had Biden as number two.

Second ballot:
Biden 7
DeSantis 2
Haley 2

Joe Biden wins!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Cornel West (I'm currently actually going to vote for him, I live in NYC though now so..)

Mark Cuban

Joe Biden

Jill Stein

RFK Jr

Larry Hogan

Nikki Haley

Donald Trump

Ron DeSantis

Where in NYC

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Where in NYC

Queens, Astoria, 10 min subway ride to midtown

Edited by themiddlepolitical

Just now, vcczar said:

Yeah, I lived for about a year a block north of the NE end of Astoria Park. 

Oh wow, So like Ditmars area? I love that area, Really different from Astoria proper, Reminds me of the pittsburgh/philly kinda. I love it

29 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Oh wow, So like Ditmars area? I love that area, Really different from Astoria proper, Reminds me of the pittsburgh/philly kinda. I love it

Astoria-Ditmars was the train stop. I also twice lived in Long Island City Queens one stop to Grand Central. I lived in SoHo-NoLiTA area. Last place I lived was Park Slope, Brooklyn. I was still living in NYC when I first met a lot of you guys. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Astoria-Ditmars was the train stop. I also twice lived in Long Island City Queens one stop to Grand Central. I lived in SoHo-NoLiTA area. Last place I lived was Park Slope, Brooklyn. I was still living in NYC when I first met a lot of you guys. 

Oh wow thats awesome, Yeah my Law School is in Long Island City. My cousin lived in Williamsburg then Park Slope for a total of 15 years, Love those areas, Not affordable (for NYC standards even) now

15 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Oh wow thats awesome, Yeah my Law School is in Long Island City. My cousin lived in Williamsburg then Park Slope for a total of 15 years, Love those areas, Not affordable (for NYC standards even) now

I always found deals because I’m not a creature for comfort. I used to walk into Williamsburg almost every day when I lived in LIC. The coffee shop I used to go to a lot was called Verb Cafe. It doesn’t exist anymore. Of my top 5 regular coffee shops, only two still exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I always found deals because I’m not a creature for comfort. I used to walk into Williamsburg almost every day when I lived in LIC. The coffee shop I used to go to a lot was called Verb Cafe. It doesn’t exist anymore. Of my top 5 regular coffee shops, only two still exist. 

What I'm most sad about now that I'm in law school is not having a place that is a true mix of culture, 24/7 coffee house that encourages people to stay and talk.

Pittsburgh had a place like this it closed down, Amazing book was written about it. (Idk if you are Gen X) But it captures the moment in time perfectly, We kinda had a place like this at Penn State. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gen-Pittsburgh-Beehive-Scene-Generic/dp/1467153745

• Like 1