The Political Lounge

This Explains Why He Resigned From “No Labels”

Pius XIII

11 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

Larry Hogan is running for Maryland senate. I don’t really think that he will win, but it may force democrats into diverting money from purple or red pickups.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/larry-hogan-launches-surprise-bid-for-maryland-senate-seat/ar-BB1i2Eb5?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I don't think Democrats will need extra money. I think it could be a close race. I'm sort of hoping Hogan uses the race more as a way to be a GOPer who is consistently attacking Trump. 

With Romney retiring, we need him. I’ll be donating $100 to his campaign. Even if it’s likely that he doesn’t win.

3 hours ago, Pringles said:

With Romney retiring, we need him. I’ll be donating $100 to his campaign. Even if it’s likely that he doesn’t win.

What I would like to see is a restoration of Rockerfeller Republicans in the east coast and conservative Democrats in the south. The best way to calm down extremism on the left and the right is for the return of a healthy middle influence on both sides. I wish Romney stayed in Massachusetts and ran for the Senate there. He could have bolstered the GOP alongside Baker, Hogan, and Scott, rather than zealots like Geoff Diehl launching worthless campaigns.

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

51 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Tell that to a black person in the South

I can’t tell if you’re making a joke or being disingenuous. Obviously when I speak of “conservative Democrats”, I mean less of a Robert Byrd, and more of Harold Ford Jr/Joe Manchin types.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

I can’t tell if you’re making a joke or being disingenuous. Obviously when I speak of “conservative Democrats”, I mean less of a Robert Byrd, and more of Harold Ford Jr/Joe Manchin types.

Those are considered moderate or centrist Democrats. They aren’t conservative politicians. So your statement wasn’t obvious to me and probably not to others. You should have said moderates. A conservative Democrat is going to be a Richard Russell and Jefferson Davis. So that’s what came to mind. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Those are considered moderate or centrist Democrats. They aren’t conservative politicians. So your statement wasn’t obvious to me and probably not to others. You should have said moderates. A conservative Democrat is going to be a Richard Russell and Jefferson Davis. So that’s what came to mind. 

I stand by what I said. Joe Manchin has self-identified as a conservative Democrat several times, and Harold Ford Jr. was a social conservative during his time in the House (which later hurt him in his 2010 Senate run). I don't know why you are using such dated politicians to describe Conservative Democrats. Your examples are the equivalent of me using Horace Greeley to describe a contemporary liberal Republican instead of Colin Powell or the already mentioned Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, or Phil Scott.

• Based 1

1 minute ago, Pius XIII said:

liberal Republican instead of Colin Powell or the already mentioned Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, or Phil Scott.

Those aren't liberal republicans. Those are moderate and centrist Republicans. I question your use of liberal Republican and conservative Democrat. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You can be a conservative democrat without being a segregationist or the literal leader of the confederacy lol

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Those aren't liberal republicans. Those are moderate and centrist Republicans. I question your use of liberal Republican and conservative Democrat. 

Who is a contemporary liberal Republican if Phil Scott isn’t?

1 minute ago, Euri said:

Who is a contemporary liberal Republican if Phil Scott isn’t?

There really isn't one anymore, just as there isn't a conservative Democrat.  Jacob Javitz is a Liberal Republican. Zell Miller is a Conservative Democrat. They might be the last of their kind, although I'm probably missing someone. 

9 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

I stand by what I said. Joe Manchin has self-identified as a conservative Democrat several times, and Harold Ford Jr. was a social conservative during his time in the House (which later hurt him in his 2010 Senate run). I don't know why you are using such dated politicians to describe Conservative Democrats. Your examples are the equivalent of me using Horace Greeley to describe a contemporary liberal Republican instead of Colin Powell or the already mentioned Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, or Phil Scott.

Yeah, this isn't an academic/history-based discussion lol. Henry Cuellar is relatively speaking more of a social conservative given he's the only Pro-Life House member for the Dems. 

Basically:

LW Populist - Bernie Sanders

Progressive - Elizabeth Warren

Liberal (Dem establishment) - Joe Biden [I don't think there's been a GOPer here since the 1980s)

Moderate/Centrist  - Manchin & Hogan          

Conservative  (old GOP mainstream) - McConnell (I don't think there's been a Democrat here since the 1990s)

Traditionalist  - Cruz

RW Populist (new GOP establishment) - Trump