Favorable or Unfavorable #482: Amos Kendall

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #482: Amos Kendall  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #482: Amos Kendall

• Favorable
    • Unfavorable

Amos Kendall (KY-D) is arguably the most influential PM Gen and one of the most politically influential people in the history of the media. 

What is interesting is that he's fairly dominant for 10 years. After he resigns as PM Gen he sort of just disappears politically. He lived until 1869--a lot happened, but he played just about zero role in politics after 1840. 

His actions:

Kendall, Amos 1816 Takes over editorship of the Argus, which becomes a major influential paper among Jacksonians in the next decade and beyond
Kendall, Amos 1831 Becomes a key member of Jackson's Kitchen Cabinet
Kendall, Amos 1832 adviser to Jackson regarding bank policy
Kendall, Amos 1835 Appt PM Gen by Jackson, and greatly reforms the department
Kendall, Amos 1836 Successful in elevating post office to an executive branch department
Kendall, Amos 1837 Kept on as PM Gen by Van Buren
Kendall, Amos 1840 Resigns as PM Gen; JQ Adams writes that Jackson and Van Buren had been the tools of Kendall
Kendall, Amos 1843 Writes and publishes the first major biography on Andrew Jackson, although it only captures his early life

Being associated with Jacksonians isn't necessarily an automatic no, but being associated with Jacksonian bank policy certainly is.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Rezi said:

Being associated with Jacksonians isn't necessarily an automatic no, but being associated with Jacksonian bank policy certainly is.

Ye, if not for that, I'd probably be favorable.  I mean I *know* the PM General is basically the Secretary of Corruption, but.... the Post Office is still a pretty big deal...