The Political Lounge

Constructive Results of AMPU Summer Playtest

16 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

@vcczar

If interested I could add the ''Blinken dynasty''. Both Blinken's father and uncle have been ambassadors. While his uncle tried to enter the NY State Assembly unsuccessfully, he was also selected to be a Democratic nominee for US Senate in Idaho. I knew nothing of this so far, but read a bit about Secretary Blinken today. Very interesting.

Maybe some day. 

Added "Abolish State Governments" as a Constitutional option. Won't be in your playthrough though. It's in the mastersheet. 

I've been reading the actual Constitutional debate. So far three things are interesting:

• The purpose was to only amend the Articles of Confederation. The Convention quickly brushes that aside as the Convention opens and is determined to make something stronger. I thought there was a little more decision there.
  • There was a significant attempt to abolish state governments, although leaving weak districts just for the sake of governing for the central government. Although this attempt failed, it didn't seem to create any strong backlash, which was surprising.
  • The regular American is routinely compared to rabble and the like. The people had only one real champion -- James Wilson, strangely a Federalist. The Convention talked openly about how best to serve and protect the money'd interests, elites, etc. 

Hamilton basically wanted to revert completely to the English system. He went way out of orbit, possibly to make compromises that he liked seem more moderate. 

All of the above is stuff I knew about but the actual words of the debate add specifics and a focus to each topic that I wasn't as knowledgeable about. 

• Like 1

My apologies if we’ve already discussed this, I am forgetful. Ha.

For Governor actions, it seems unlikely that any incumbent governor would ever propose term limits — and in fact I think off top of my head CPU factions “can’t” because it doesn’t fall into one of the categories for them to propose.

Maybe term limits and changing length of term (number of years) should give +to reformists?  

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Maybe term limits and changing length of term (number of years) should give +to reformists?  

I agree fully on that it seems unlikely to get term limits or term length changes proposed. However, reformists are rather rare, so I think there need to be a different incentive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I agree fully on that it seems unlikely to get term limits or term length changes proposed. However, reformists are rather rare, so I think there need to be a different incentive.

I meant to the reformist faction.  But I’m open to other ideas, like it being +points to a governor with integrity.

22 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

For Governor actions, it seems unlikely that any incumbent governor would ever propose term limits — and in fact I think off top of my head CPU factions “can’t” because it doesn’t fall into one of the categories for them to propose.

I gave a ton of pts to Reformists this morning for doing that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I meant to the reformist faction.  But I’m open to other ideas, like it being +points to a governor with integrity.

I see. Well, sure that's a thing then. Yeah I am thinking myself about what could be good, but I am not sure.

My best idea  so far was, that there might occasional pop-ups like ''State Legislature in Tennessee demands two four year terms for Governor'' or ''Citizen group demands two year terms in New York'' come up with random states. If the governor does as they wish the party will get a +2 in the next election with a chance of 50%. If the governor ignores the demand, the party might get a -2 in the next election (maybe higher than 50%?).

To hinder states changing their laws every few years, they should be locked from popping up again for 20, 30 + years at least. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

They become more common later on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I see. Well, sure that's a thing then. Yeah I am thinking myself about what could be good, but I am not sure.

My best idea  so far was, that there might occasional pop-ups like ''State Legislature in Tennessee demands two four year terms for Governor'' or ''Citizen group demands two year terms in New York'' come up with random states. If the governor does as they wish the party will get a +2 in the next election with a chance of 50%. If the governor ignores the demand, the party might get a -2 in the next election (maybe higher than 50%?).

To hinder states changing their laws every few years, they should be locked from popping up again for 20, 30 + years at least. 

Oh, I like the “random event” idea.  It could even just be automatic.

”(random state) changes governor term limits”

9 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Oh, I like the “random event” idea.  It could even just be automatic.

”(random state) changes governor term limits”

Yeah but I'd like to strategize here a bit. So at least form a player's perspective it might be cool to have at least some deciding power on this issue as well.

49 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I’m actually considering term limits for the purpose of limiting those who come after Franklin, just to be a dick 😉 

• Haha 2

Added these options, which exist so long as DC hasn't been created: 

Move Capital to Charleston, SC
Move Capital to Boston
Move Capital to Lebanon, KS
Move Capital to Chicago
Move Capital to Williamsburg, VA
Move Capital to New Orleans
Move Capital to San Francisco
Move Capital to San Marcos, TX
Move Capital to Philadelphia
Move Capital to New York
Move Capital to Baltimore
  • Like 1
  • Based 1

22 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Added these options, which exist so long as DC hasn't been created: 

Move Capital to Charleston, SC
Move Capital to Boston
Move Capital to Lebanon, KS
Move Capital to Chicago
Move Capital to Williamsburg, VA
Move Capital to New Orleans
Move Capital to San Francisco
Move Capital to San Marcos, TX
Move Capital to Philadelphia
Move Capital to New York
Move Capital to Baltimore

I guess Lebanon, Chicago, New Orleans, San Francisco and San Marcos will only become available as options when their respective states came into play, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cal said:
1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I learned it's the central point of the US.

Lebanon where?

@Cal, @ConservativeElector2 is correct. It's the center of the Continental US. 

I've also added Princeton, NJ to the list above. 

Added a law allowing the CC Pres to break ties.

Added a law allowing one to protest Big Gov in lieu of of a vote, used to help Traditionalists mainly, if there is no good proposal for them. 

• Like 1