The Political Lounge

2004 Democratic Primaries RP

Fbarbarossa

So, this won't be a long intro. I'll just say this:

I AM RIPPING OFF REZI

I am using his ruleset for primaries and turns and am even using the runner up from his RP poll for my RP. I'm going to rip him off even more egregiously by reposting his rules here.

Turns: Each turn will represent one week and will include three events from each candidate. If two primaries take place within 2 days of each other, they will be moved into one turn. If two primaries take places 3-5 days of each other, there will be a mini-turn in which 2 events are to occur.

We begin with 10 turns until the Iowa Caucuses. There will be debates, I have not yet decided when they will be. IRL I believe they only started after primaries had begun, but for the sake of intrigue I will have one or two prior to Iowa.

Turn Length: Turns will be 48 hours from the time I call for events. Excused absences are allowed, but I will not allow them to be abused. Missing your events unexused will function on a three-strikes and you're out system. The first missed turn, your candidate will be off the trail that week and will have a 0. The second missed turn, your candidate will be off the trail that week and I'll roll for them between -5 and 0. Third missed turn, you're out and your candidate drops unless someone else is willing to take them on.

Lastly, to avoid burnout I'm going to cap this RP at 6-7 players and to make it fair I'll be doing first come first serve.

@wendell willkie fan - Sen. Tom Daschle

@Sean F Kennedy - Fmr VP Al Gore

@Hestia - Sen. Hillary Clinton

@The Blood - Sen. Zell Miller

@Cenzonico - Rep. Dennis Kucinich

@WVProgressive - Mr Donald Trump

Edited by Fbarbarossa

United States Senator from Georgia Zell Miller will announce a presidential bid, to stand up for the "common-sense, patriotic" wing of the Democratic Party.24miller1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg.fdb3349b4b8d97cc37414651e68c9cf2.jpg

Time to ruin the Democratic party! (This is my application to be Trump in 2004)

trump2004.png.dfac33c7778704f8e4df5af45fa7b592.png

Edited by WVProgressive

Event 1: Campaign Launch

Al Gore will launch his campaign in Nashville, Tennessee where he will promise to run a more aggressive campaign this time around, he will “bring out the left and center” together to take down George W Bush and the Republicans.

Event 2: Rally in Iowa

Gore will have a rally in Iowa, a vital state in both the primary and the general, he will state his continued support of farmers and many who were harmed by NAFTA and need some support from the government for displaced workers while maintaining trade agreements.

Event 3: South Carolina rally

Gore will go to an African American congregation for Sunday Prayer, he will state his religious beliefs and the importance of tolerance between religions and religious freedom.

**campaign Launch in Pierre,SD**

Senator Tom Daschle announches his campaign from President from his hometown of Pierre,South Dakota. He gives brkef speech talking about his experience and talks about how he has held on to a competetive seat for a while now. He is the best candidate that can win this election. He also mixes in some attacks against gore.

**Press conference in Des Moine**

Daschle holds his first campaign press conference in Des Moine,where he outlines his plans for a vigorous campaign agaonst bush. He critiicises the presidents handling of the Iraq War,and how his tax cuts have made the deficit grow. Daschle also announches that if elected,he will rpomote and pass a liberal program.

**voter Event in Davenport**

Daschle meets with several NAACP members and makes a bombshell promise. That if nominated,he will chose an afrocan american as his running mate. Its high time to prove that anyone can become the president or Vice-president in the US. Following thiw,Daschle answers questions about his program and campaign from voters

1. Donald Trump - media personality and real estate mogul - announces his intentions to seek the Democratic nomination for President at a speech in the lobby of Trump Tower in Manhattan. Trump's speech focuses on ending the Iraq War, and addressing the inequality within the economy.

2. Trump heads to Iowa, promising to bring in a universal healthcare system reminiscent of the UK's NHS. He talks about his experience with the system as a business owner of a Scottish golf course, and that universal healthcare will save both normal people and business owners money by not requiring businesses to purchase heath insurance for their employees. He praises Democratic icon Ted Kennedy's long fight for universal healthcare.

3. Trump stays in Iowa, and speaks about the need to renegotiate NAFTA, and take a more protectionist line on trade, attacking the Bush administration for not protecting American workers.

Event One: Stand Up For America (New Hampshire)

Senator Zell Miller will announce his presidential campaign with a fervent speech in Manchester, New Hampshire, directly appealing to the state's independent voters. "New Hampshire is the best, first opportunity for my party to see the truth. The truth that independents do not want us to nominate another smooth-talkin', weak-willed liberal. They want a leader! What the center wants is a Democrat who will stand up for family values, for national security, for bipartisanship. It is in your hands, New Hampshire, to drive out from this race the also-rans, radical liberals, and fancy New Yorkers who believe the Democratic Party can win with just the liberal elite! With your ballots, you can show my party that the middle is tired of the partisanship, of the surrender to terror, and of the we-know-better attitude, and that you are ready for a leader who will stand up for America! I intend to be that leader, New Hampshire, if God and the voters of your state are willing."

Event Two: Manhattan Money Man (New Hampshire)

Senator Miller will take the opportunity to piss on the news of Donald Trump's entrance into the race while in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, proclaiming, "Now what in duh hell does he think he's doing? This is a Manhattan money man thinking he can wave his cash around the country and be handed the presidency! I guess we should ask what the salt-of-the-earth think about this. What an Ohio factory worker getting off his shift thinks of Moneybags dropping down to the polls by private helicopter! What a farmer headin' home after 16 hours in the fields of my sweet Georgia thinks about Mr. Manhattan Failson trying to buy the White House! And what one of our brave troops fighting in the Middle East thinks about Mr. Donald Trump defending us from terror! Give me a damn break! Drop out, Don!" 

Event Three: Democratism with Bushite Characteristics (Oklahoma) 

Senator Miller will pop down to Oklahoma, a "mini-Tuesday" state, to continue his budding campaign, launching a spirited defense of President Bush's foreign policy while in Tulsa. "I hold nothing but contempt for my fellow Democrats who malign our crusade against terror. We are in a bipartisan struggle for the future of democracy, yet we still have loony liberals in my party attacking our fight for liberty abroad. Tell your defeatism to the Kurds gassed by Saddam Hussein until we went in! Tell it to the families and survivors from when those towers went down on September 11th! Spin your limp-wristed pacifism to our troops abroad putting their lives on the line to secure a world safe for democracy! And try to push your Taliban love on the millions of brave Americans ready to support my campaign, who are Democrats, independents, and Republicans proud in the struggle against terror and tyranny in this world! Cut the shit and drop your picket signs, because you are either with the troops, or with the terror!" 

Edited by The Blood

Event One: Announcement in South Carolina

Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) will announce her campaign with a visit to 'mini Tuesday' state South Carolina. She will make a speech in Columbia about the need for a strong challenge to George Bush, but is careful to be polite to the president (knowing of his popularity nationwide). Clinton spends her announcement speech talking mostly about the economy, citing the need to strengthen Social Security and to pass middle class tax cuts. 

Event Two: On the Trail in Iowa

Hillary will visit the Hawkeye State for the first time this campaign cycle, visiting Davenport on the eastern side of the state. She will address her Iraq War position briefly while in Davenport, saying that Saddam Hussein's crimes in Kuwait and against the Kurdish population were enough to go to war for and she highlighted the need to build a strong Iraqi democracy in the wake of the war. She doesn't discuss much about Bush's positions or the others in the race. She will also knock Gore's position of NAFTA harming farmers, saying that free trade was the best thing that happened to agriculture in the United States.

Event Three: Off to New Hampshire

Clinton will end her campaign week in New Hampshire, where she seeks to introduce herself to the audience there. She highlights her experience as first lady and as the nation's most senior unofficial advisor, as well as her work in standing up for women's rights against totalitarian regimes, notably China. 

1.Bernie Sanders will announce his campaign in his hometown of Burlington,VT.He will pledge to end the War in Iraq,pass single payer healthcare and create an economy that works "for the many,not just the few" in his announcement speech

2.Rep.Sanders will barnstorm colleges and universities accros his neighboring state of NH.

3.Rep.Sanders warns that Democrats will lose to Bush if they nominate "incrementalist moderate" like Fmr.VP Gore and Sen.Clinton

1. Rep. Dennis Kucinich announces his campaign in his home district. In his speech, he rails against "Bush and his cronies" and promises to "Bring America home, focus on our nation, and build a brighter future."

2. Rep. Kucinich flies to Iowa and holds a town hall in Des Moines 

3. Rep. Kucinich then goes out and barnstorms the city of Des Moines.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:34 PM, WVProgressive said:

1. Donald Trump - media personality and real estate mogul - announces his intentions to seek the Democratic nomination for President at a speech in the lobby of Trump Tower in Manhattan. Trump's speech focuses on ending the Iraq War, and addressing the inequality within the economy.

2. Trump heads to Iowa, promising to bring in a universal healthcare system reminiscent of the UK's NHS. He talks about his experience with the system as a business owner of a Scottish golf course, and that universal healthcare will save both normal people and business owners money by not requiring businesses to purchase heath insurance for their employees. He praises Democratic icon Ted Kennedy's long fight for universal healthcare.

3. Trump stays in Iowa, and speaks about the need to renegotiate NAFTA, and take a more protectionist line on trade, attacking the Bush administration for not protecting American workers.

5 - Trump's announcement goes over okay. However, Trump is known for drifting around often when it comes to political views, so no one puts much stock into it.

2 - Trump's event is crashed by people screaming "We ain't Europe!! We don't wanna be Europe!! This is 'murica!! Make 'murica great again!!"

4 - Trump's point isn't bad, but he's making it to the wrong people. Iowan farmers have benefited from free trade.

Overall: -4. Trump is off to a rocky start but the campaign is still young and he has billions of dollars at his disposal.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:03 PM, The Blood said:

Event One: Stand Up For America (New Hampshire)

Senator Zell Miller will announce his presidential campaign with a fervent speech in Manchester, New Hampshire, directly appealing to the state's independent voters. "New Hampshire is the best, first opportunity for my party to see the truth. The truth that independents do not want us to nominate another smooth-talkin', weak-willed liberal. They want a leader! What the center wants is a Democrat who will stand up for family values, for national security, for bipartisanship. It is in your hands, New Hampshire, to drive out from this race the also-rans, radical liberals, and fancy New Yorkers who believe the Democratic Party can win with just the liberal elite! With your ballots, you can show my party that the middle is tired of the partisanship, of the surrender to terror, and of the we-know-better attitude, and that you are ready for a leader who will stand up for America! I intend to be that leader, New Hampshire, if God and the voters of your state are willing."

Event Two: Manhattan Money Man (New Hampshire)

Senator Miller will take the opportunity to piss on the news of Donald Trump's entrance into the race while in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, proclaiming, "Now what in duh hell does he think he's doing? This is a Manhattan money man thinking he can wave his cash around the country and be handed the presidency! I guess we should ask what the salt-of-the-earth think about this. What an Ohio factory worker getting off his shift thinks of Moneybags dropping down to the polls by private helicopter! What a farmer headin' home after 16 hours in the fields of my sweet Georgia thinks about Mr. Manhattan Failson trying to buy the White House! And what one of our brave troops fighting in the Middle East thinks about Mr. Donald Trump defending us from terror! Give me a damn break! Drop out, Don!" 

Event Three: Democratism with Bushite Characteristics (Oklahoma) 

Senator Miller will pop down to Oklahoma, a "mini-Tuesday" state, to continue his budding campaign, launching a spirited defense of President Bush's foreign policy while in Tulsa. "I hold nothing but contempt for my fellow Democrats who malign our crusade against terror. We are in a bipartisan struggle for the future of democracy, yet we still have loony liberals in my party attacking our fight for liberty abroad. Tell your defeatism to the Kurds gassed by Saddam Hussein until we went in! Tell it to the families and survivors from when those towers went down on September 11th! Spin your limp-wristed pacifism to our troops abroad putting their lives on the line to secure a world safe for democracy! And try to push your Taliban love on the millions of brave Americans ready to support my campaign, who are Democrats, independents, and Republicans proud in the struggle against terror and tyranny in this world! Cut the shit and drop your picket signs, because you are either with the troops, or with the terror!" 

1! - Miller's announcement goes awfully. He gets way too angry and worked up during his speech and ends up tripping over his words and misspeaking.The media runs with soundbytes from Miller's "unhinged rant" and a voice crack when he screams the word "Yeah!" becomes very popular in the political comedy scene.

3 - Miller needs to take a lesson from the "Liberal Elite" and take some elocution lessons. He begins on another one of his stumbly rants, but luckily this one isn't as publicized due to the attention on his first rant.

8 - Finally Miller hits the right notes. He manages to keep his cool as he machine guns out his points and the crowd eats it up. FOX news picks up his speech and gives it positive coverage.

Overall: -4. Miller had a few stumbles at the start of the week but at the end seemed to find his base. He has a tough fight ahead, but at least he has found a demographic.

On 2/19/2024 at 2:21 PM, Cenzonico said:

1. Rep. Dennis Kucinich announces his campaign in his home district. In his speech, he rails against "Bush and his cronies" and promises to "Bring America home, focus on our nation, and build a brighter future."

2. Rep. Kucinich flies to Iowa and holds a town hall in Des Moines 

3. Rep. Kucinich then goes out and barnstorms the city of Des Moines.

5 - Kucinich's announcement is more or less standard anti-Bush talking points but he delivers them well enough.

9 - The town hall goes better than expected. Kucinich proves himself to be a quick thinker and fires out strong answers to questions left and right, even answering well on subjects he hasn't prepped for.

8 - Kucinich stays strong. He speaks well and keeps the crowd engaged throughout. 

Overall: +7. Kucinich is off to a strong start. Having been a critic of much of Bush's agenda from the start he has strong credentials in the race, his issue now however is breaking his way into the mainstream.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:21 PM, Hestia said:

Event One: Announcement in South Carolina

Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) will announce her campaign with a visit to 'mini Tuesday' state South Carolina. She will make a speech in Columbia about the need for a strong challenge to George Bush, but is careful to be polite to the president (knowing of his popularity nationwide). Clinton spends her announcement speech talking mostly about the economy, citing the need to strengthen Social Security and to pass middle class tax cuts. 

Event Two: On the Trail in Iowa

Hillary will visit the Hawkeye State for the first time this campaign cycle, visiting Davenport on the eastern side of the state. She will address her Iraq War position briefly while in Davenport, saying that Saddam Hussein's crimes in Kuwait and against the Kurdish population were enough to go to war for and she highlighted the need to build a strong Iraqi democracy in the wake of the war. She doesn't discuss much about Bush's positions or the others in the race. She will also knock Gore's position of NAFTA harming farmers, saying that free trade was the best thing that happened to agriculture in the United States.

Event Three: Off to New Hampshire

Clinton will end her campaign week in New Hampshire, where she seeks to introduce herself to the audience there. She highlights her experience as first lady and as the nation's most senior unofficial advisor, as well as her work in standing up for women's rights against totalitarian regimes, notably China. 

3 - South Carolina doesn't take too kindly to a member of the "New York political elite" but luckily Clinton speaks well on the issues which stops the event from being a total failure.

1! - Clinton's event is crashed by anti war protesters who heckle her and jump on stage. Security drags Clinton out of the event but a hot mic picks up some of the choice words she has for the anti war movement.

10! - Finally, Clinton hits it right. Not only is New Hampshire in her home region of the North East but it also is a state that resonates perfectly with her political views. She speaks passionately and confidently to an enthusiastic crowd.

Overall: -1. Clinton's launch isn't as bad as that of some of the other candidates, but it's still shaky. She has experience and expertise, she just needs to flex it well.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:58 PM, Sean F Kennedy said:

Event 1: Campaign Launch

Al Gore will launch his campaign in Nashville, Tennessee where he will promise to run a more aggressive campaign this time around, he will “bring out the left and center” together to take down George W Bush and the Republicans.

Event 2: Rally in Iowa

Gore will have a rally in Iowa, a vital state in both the primary and the general, he will state his continued support of farmers and many who were harmed by NAFTA and need some support from the government for displaced workers while maintaining trade agreements.

Event 3: South Carolina rally

Gore will go to an African American congregation for Sunday Prayer, he will state his religious beliefs and the importance of tolerance between religions and religious freedom.

9 - Al Gore's announcement is electric. Rumours of him running again have been circulating ever since he conceded, add to that a strong announcement speech and an Al Gore that ready to work with the centre and the left and you have a contender.

2 - Gore sadly missteps in his first event. NAFTA has been a boon for Iowan farmers so the newly protectionist Gore's rally doesn't hit like how he would want it to.

8 - Al Gore bounces right back though. He touches on all the right notes to connect with the religious communities within the Democratic Party.

Overall: +4. Gore has a solid start to his campaign and the other major candidates weakness buoys him further. At this moment he seems like the most credible threat to the GOP.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:31 PM, wendell willkie fan said:

**campaign Launch in Pierre,SD**

Senator Tom Daschle announches his campaign from President from his hometown of Pierre,South Dakota. He gives brkef speech talking about his experience and talks about how he has held on to a competetive seat for a while now. He is the best candidate that can win this election. He also mixes in some attacks against gore.

**Press conference in Des Moine**

Daschle holds his first campaign press conference in Des Moine,where he outlines his plans for a vigorous campaign agaonst bush. He critiicises the presidents handling of the Iraq War,and how his tax cuts have made the deficit grow. Daschle also announches that if elected,he will rpomote and pass a liberal program.

**voter Event in Davenport**

Daschle meets with several NAACP members and makes a bombshell promise. That if nominated,he will chose an afrocan american as his running mate. Its high time to prove that anyone can become the president or Vice-president in the US. Following thiw,Daschle answers questions about his program and campaign from voters

2 - Sadly Daschle's announcement is overshadowed by the entry of other candidates in the race and the competitive polling in his seat takes a lot away from his statement about how he has held his seat.

10! - Daschle hits all the typical Democratic talking point, but they're popular ones and he hits them well! Daschle speaks well and confidently, flexing his knowledge of working within the senate.

3 - Daschle's promise is seen as pandering by most and falls rather flat with the NAACP members.

Overall: +1. Daschle has a positive start, he isn't groundbreaking or ascendant but he's shaping up to be a credible contender.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:21 PM, Rodja said:

1.Bernie Sanders will announce his campaign in his hometown of Burlington,VT.He will pledge to end the War in Iraq,pass single payer healthcare and create an economy that works "for the many,not just the few" in his announcement speech

2.Rep.Sanders will barnstorm colleges and universities accros his neighboring state of NH.

3.Rep.Sanders warns that Democrats will lose to Bush if they nominate "incrementalist moderate" like Fmr.VP Gore and Sen.Clinton

Edited by Rodja

1. Zell will unload into Hillary Clinton in Iowa, questioning her experience for the presidency. "I have proudly served in roles on the state, federal, executive, and legislative levels for over four decades. Hillary Clinton, while I give her my deepest respect, is a freshman senator with marital adjacency to a presidency. Let's be serious about our choices, America."

2. Senator Miller will begin massing resources into the state of Iowa, now considering it a prime opportunity for an overperformance with recent polling. Multiple offices will open across the state, and his campaign will take a particular interest in rural areas, believing the farmers of Iowa understand a God-honest, sensible Democrat when they see one.

3. Zell will visit New Hampshire, continuing his independent crusade, and even noting that with the lack of a competitive Republican race, those GOPers favoring him might as well cross over their party affiliation for this one vote. 

• Sad 1

1. Dennis knows he needs to make a splash somehow. D.C. is holding a primary soon, but that's non-binding, who cares? A strong week in Iowa is more than enough to prove that there is a legitimate appetite for progressive change in this country, and the Iowa caucus is where the money is after all.  Dennis travels to Iowa City where he sets up shop on the campus of the University of Iowa, having been invited to speak. He whips up the classic progressive talking points, Universal Health Care for all, Making the rich pay their fair share, ending the costly and illegal acts of imperialism a.k.a wars, railing against so-called "free trade", that sort of thing.

2. Kucinich then travels to rural land, ending up in Adams County, Iowa. It may not have a lot of people, and most likely even less Democrats, and even less Democrats who will turn out and caucus, but that means he could likely tour the county and ensure potential caucus-goers vote for Dennis Kucinich in 2004.

3. Well, this is going to be a gutsy move that will likely go horribly, but progressives need to unite for change after all. Dennis seeks the endorsement of Wisconsin senator Russ Feingold

Edited by Cenzonico
"Dennis seeks the endorsement of Wisconsin senator Dennis Kucinich."

1. Senator Clinton will visit Des Moines to begin her campaign cycle, giving a speech about the need to protect U.S. interests abroad and continue to project U.S. power.

2. Clinton won't respond directly to Miller's comments on her, but her campaign will release an ad against Miller titled "Not Anymore". It attacks Miller's past support for segregation and makes the point that someone, even if they have publicly changed stances, has supported segregation in the past, should not be the Democratic candidate for President. It is due to start running in New Hampshire this week.

3. Senator Clinton will end the week in South Carolina, seeking to speak with the electorate there about Clinton's education goals. 

Event 1: Gore calls for Universal Healthcare in a rally in New Hampshire 

At a rally in New Hampshire Gore would announce his full support of universal healthcare, similar to Ted Kennedy’s plan. He will request his fellow Democrats to support this.

Event 2: Gore meets with James Carville

Gore knew to take on an incumbent President he needed the best possible team, he needed the man who’s beaten a seemingly unbeatable Incumbent President Bush. Gore will meet with Carville and hope he becomes his campaign manager.

Event 3: A endorsement request 

Gore will seek the endorsement of Bob Graham senator of Florida.