The Political Lounge

Tax-Exempt Status Poll

vcczar

Tax Exemption Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Click all the currently tax-exempt entities that should have to pay taxes.

• Christian Churches
    • Mega Churches and other known undeclared profit-seeking Churches that profit over $100 million
    • Non-Christian religious groups, such as synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.
    • Religious cults (or cult-like religions), such as scientologists, pastafarians, etc.
    • Private foundations such as the Ford Foundation, Coca Cola Foundation, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Walton Foundation -- and other revenue sources for the rich that are not taxed
    • Political organizations
    • Organizations that are primarily charitable for the poor
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Should all entities that make a profit be required to pay a tax on that profit?

Iffy on religious cults. I don’t think Scientology belongs with jokes like Pastafarianism. I will never support taxing your typical small churches throughout the country, terrible idea, but mega churches definitely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GREAT, I did not read the right question. I thought not should, so yes I believe all of the other organizations to be taxed while charities no, but to claification to churches and mosques, I think they need some special status of only paying taxes after keeping some of the donation

10 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I would have added private universities, particularly Ivy-League ones such as Harvard, Yale etc. Would have been interesting to see given the high-college populace on the forum.

Yeah, any university that can afford to pay their president or football coaches somewhere over $100k. I'm flexible with the number though. Basically, I'm for taxing any entity that can clearly afford to pay taxes, but I think entities should have a choice of where their tax dollar go to or do not go to. For instance, if you don't want your money going to defense spending or social security, you should have that option. 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:13 PM, Pringles said:

Iffy on religious cults. I don’t think Scientology belongs with jokes like Pastafarianism. I will never support taxing your typical small churches throughout the country, terrible idea, but mega churches definitely.

How would you differentiate them on paper? Are you using the $100M figure or a different one?

1 minute ago, DakotaHale said:

How would you differentiate them on paper? Are you using the $100M figure or a different one?

The figure V outlined in the poll, yeah. Though we could get into the particulars of it. Vaguely speaking, megachurches taking in millions upon millions of profit (Joel Osteen) ought to be taxed.

• Like 1