The Political Lounge

AMPU Beta Feedback

This is a thread for us to make note of things that Anthony will ultimately need to fix.

This includes:

• Restricting alternate states, so that hypothetical states, such as Denmark, Greenland, etc aren't given out after the draft.
  • Make it so that skipping a draft pick autodraft you a politician, rather than locks you out of draft picks. 

Things like that. 

Def making names of all things clickable bringing you to the page of that item

i.e.

During shifts, all phases etc when a name of a politican's name comes up let us hover over the name or click the name to bring up their politician card.

Also saving all these shifts/drafts/etc on their card (like OOTP)

• Faction career track results cannot be filtered (currently)
  • Drafting politicians is restricted to draft ideos, rather than allowing you to lose a pick outside of those ideos
  • When shifting the one allowed ideology slot, it fails to disclose your politicians traits (if they have flip-flopper or puritan)
  • Lobbies are not given out to every faction, in the most recent run through B1-B4 and R1 failed to get any lobby cards.
Edited by Arkansas Progressive

15 hours ago, Pius XIII said:

An option to organize potential draft picks alphabetically would be great for folks who want to see if a particular politician is available.

Yeah also to sort by states maybe. I could imagine people would prefer to draft from a specific state, if they are low at politicians from there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I'm gonna give credit where credit is due, I started playing Rise of the White Sun today and I think Anthony's UI (what little we've seen of it) is more promising than White Sun.

What do you not like about the UI of Rise of the White Sun. Maybe I'm just used to it now. It's an excellent game. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

What do you not like about the UI of Rise of the White Sun. Maybe I'm just used to it now. It's an excellent game. 

It takes too many clicks to get anywhere.  Screens are hidden behind other screens, instead of being accessible from a central location.  The icons are too generic and non-descript and especially with the bland color pallet have trouble standing out.  Overall it looks like a game from the 90s, and not in a good way.  Reminds me very much of CK1.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

It takes too many clicks to get anywhere.  Screens are hidden behind other screens, instead of being accessible from a central location.  The icons are too generic and non-descript and especially with the bland color pallet have trouble standing out.  Overall it looks like a game from the 90s, and not in a good way.  Reminds me very much of CK1.

I remember playing the game like 3 or 4 times and restarting because I'd figure something out that I wasn't doing but by the 5th time I intuitively had it figured out. I was enjoying the game even when I didn't know what I was doing. 

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Like, I have no trouble learning new games.  Generally my process is to look at every screen before actually starting to play so I know what they are, but never before have I been two hours in to a game, discovered a new screen, not even understood how to get back to that screen as I wasn't even sure what I clicked on to get there, and at the same time not understand how to LEAVE that screen either.  That's insanely poor.

24 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Like, I have no trouble learning new games.  Generally my process is to look at every screen before actually starting to play so I know what they are, but never before have I been two hours in to a game, discovered a new screen, not even understood how to get back to that screen as I wasn't even sure what I clicked on to get there, and at the same time not understand how to LEAVE that screen either.  That's insanely poor.

Hmm. I guess it didn't affect me that way. At worst it took me maybe 15 seconds to figure it out when I was stumped. Once I figured it out it wasn't an issue anymore. That said, I guess it could be more user-friendly, but UI isn't really something I pay attention to when playing games. If the game is otherwise an A- to A+, a below average UI doesn't really bother me, so long as I can figure it out, which was something I was able to do. 

Another favorite game of mine -- The Last Express -- also had a learning curve for their unique way of laying things out. This one was was a little more frustrating because it isn't a turn-based game, so clicking the wrong thing or accidently moving the wrong direction because of unintuitive design was actually frustrating to me. But once I figured it out, it wasn't an issue. I never got frustrated with Rise of the White Sun. It was more like, "Oh, that's how they're doing it. Okay." and then do how they do it. 

It's almost like learning a new language or visitng a place with a different culture where some layouts, social norms, etc don't make sense. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Hmm. I guess it didn't affect me that way. At worst it took me maybe 15 seconds to figure it out when I was stumped. Once I figured it out it wasn't an issue anymore. That said, I guess it could be more user-friendly, but UI isn't really something I pay attention to when playing games. If the game is otherwise an A- to A+, a below average UI doesn't really bother me, so long as I can figure it out, which was something I was able to do. 

Another favorite game of mine -- The Last Express -- also had a learning curve for their unique way of laying things out. This one was was a little more frustrating because it isn't a turn-based game, so clicking the wrong thing or accidently moving the wrong direction because of unintuitive design was actually frustrating to me. But once I figured it out, it wasn't an issue. I never got frustrated with Rise of the White Sun. It was more like, "Oh, that's how they're doing it. Okay." and then do how they do it. 

It's almost like learning a new language or visitng a place with a different culture where some layouts, social norms, etc don't make sense. 

TBF, I think it'd be a lot more bearable if the color pallet didn't give me eyestrain.  It's not even that the color choice is bad, per se, I'm not a user of dark modes even.  I think it's the sepia tones' harshness kind of triggering a headache.

8 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

TBF, I think it'd be a lot more bearable if the color pallet didn't give me eyestrain.  It's not even that the color choice is bad, per se, I'm not a user of dark modes even.  I think it's the sepia tones' harshness kind of triggering a headache.

I didn't have that reaction either. Now I'm kind of curious what the reviews say about the game. I just had so much fun playing the game that none of this minor stuff even registered with me as a real issue. 

@OrangeP47 I'm reading the Steam reviews now. It does have 30ish negative review (280ish positive review) for an 87% approval rating. It seems that just about every negative review is in regards to the unintuitive UI. I just find it fascinating that for some people that's such a big issue and for some it is just a trifle. 

I don't think I've ever given a negative review or stopped play a game based on UI. I think I get upset if games crash, run too slowly on my computer, overheat my computer, are clearly unfinished, are too simplistic, too short, or lack intellectual or strategic depth. Basically, content and whether my CPU can play it well. UI doesn't really come into play in my criticism since I inevitably figure it out. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I didn't have that reaction either. Now I'm kind of curious what the reviews say about the game. I just had so much fun playing the game that none of this minor stuff even registered with me as a real issue. 

Seems mostly positive, which is fair, because the mechanics seem solid.  I do notice a few complaints along the same lines as mine.  One thing a bit more telling perhaps though is the game had relatively little presence on google search.  I think it hasn't found a wide audience.  I'm, not saying that it hasn't because it's bad, just that not many people have seen it to weigh in.  Certainly it's not as obscure as some things, and it has more presence than a few obscure games I've noted before, but the way you talked about it I thought there'd be a lot more info out there on it.

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@OrangeP47 I'm reading the Steam reviews now. It does have 30ish negative review (280ish positive review) for an 87% approval rating. It seems that just about every negative review is in regards to the unintuitive UI. I just find it fascinating that for some people that's such a big issue and for some it is just a trifle. 

I don't think I've ever given a negative review or stopped play a game based on UI. I think I get upset if games crash, run too slowly on my computer, overheat my computer, are clearly unfinished, are too simplistic, too short, or lack intellectual or strategic depth. Basically, content and whether my CPU can play it well. UI doesn't really come into play in my criticism since I inevitably figure it out. 

It comes down to this for me:  How hard do I have to "work" to have fun.  It's the same calculation as why I don't go to a baseball game, despite wanting to:  I'd have to drive an hour and a half each way, and that's a lot of effort.  I play games to relax, and information presented unintuitively is annoying and work.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

It comes down to this for me:  How hard do I have to "work" to have fun.  It's the same calculation as why I don't go to a baseball game, despite wanting to:  I'd have to drive an hour and a half each way, and that's a lot of effort.  I play games to relax, and information presented unintuitively is annoying and work.

And excuse me, I know this is entirely uncalled for on my part, but I thought of a rant two days ago that's really applicable here related to some "helpful hints" we got at work regarding how it's a good idea to use a planner to organize our work as it makes less work and don't forget things.  In my opinion, that just makes more work, because now not only do I have to remember the thing I need to remember, I need to remember to update the planner too.  And then maybe I need to remember that I need to remember to update the planner, ad infinitum.  The introduction of one additional layer of complexity is not a linear increase in mental load, it's exponential.  Just keep everything in one spot.

4 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Seems mostly positive, which is fair, because the mechanics seem solid.  I do notice a few complaints along the same lines as mine.  One thing a bit more telling perhaps though is the game had relatively little presence on google search.  I think it hasn't found a wide audience.  I'm, not saying that it hasn't because it's bad, just that not many people have seen it to weigh in.  Certainly it's not as obscure as some things, and it has more presence than a few obscure games I've noted before, but the way you talked about it I thought there'd be a lot more info out there on it.

Yeah, it's kind of like Anthony's game. Neither one really puts in an effort to advertise the games. I remember trying to get Anthony's games on Wikipedia, and he was really lukewarm to the idea. He's been interviewed, but he doesn't doing any advertising. He won't pay to advertise. I mentioned possibly doing that for AMPU. I don't think he wants to draw attention to himself. 

This Rise of the White Sun guys is exceptionally active on Discord, which is a website that I find hard to navigate and too chaotic (maybe as close to a UI complaint I can have). He's in there chatting to people who play his games continuously. I think he operates on word of mouth. His primary language is French. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, it's kind of like Anthony's game. Neither one really puts in an effort to advertise the games. I remember trying to get Anthony's games on Wikipedia, and he was really lukewarm to the idea. He's been interviewed, but he doesn't doing any advertising. He won't pay to advertise. I mentioned possibly doing that for AMPU. I don't think he wants to draw attention to himself. 

This Rise of the White Sun guys is exceptionally active on Discord, which is a website that I find hard to navigate and too chaotic (maybe as close to a UI complaint I can have). He's in there chatting to people who play his games continuously. I think he operates on word of mouth. His primary language is French. 

I don't like Discord either, partially for similar reasons, and partially because it's basically gating content.  I don't want to have to join a community to get basic info and it's basically people enforcing that you join their fan club if you want any help playing the game these days, which frankly, is rude.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

it's a good idea to use a planner to organize our work as it makes less work and don't forget things.

I've never been able to keep a planner. If you ever see my desk, the only thing you'll see close to a planner is maybe a list of words or terms with arrows rearranging them in different orders, etc. I'm just not planning oriented at all. I might plan something out just before doing it. The other day I posted my outline for a geopolitical board game I was making in 2012, which was the model for the forum game I was making a few months ago. I sketched out that map with a list of ideas of what the game needed right before I bought cardboard to make the actual board game. It wasn't so much planning as it was just making the game because I didn't have anything else to make it with at the time. 

When I teach, I just walk into class and start talking. I might have a list of a few terms or a paper due date that I need to make sure I mention. My desk has loose papers all over it, books stacked, some about to fall over. Pens, note cards, etc. scattered. I have a ton of partially filled notebooks because I don't finish filling them out. And information for one things could be spread to several of them because I'll use whichever one I happen to grab when writing. Usually, I know where I've left stuff. 

I almost laugh if anyone asks if I used a planner. 

Working on AMPU has certainly been a challenge for me because typing out a rules and keeping organized spreadsheets and things like that aren't natural to me. I'm doing better with excel, but typing out rules is really a bore for me. I think my weaknesses all make managing playtests an issue. An organized person would probably better at GMing a playtest. Fortunately, I have a good memory most of the time. 

4 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I don't like Discord either, partially for similar reasons, and partially because it's basically gating content.  I don't want to have to join a community to get basic info and it's basically people enforcing that you join their fan club if you want any help playing the game these days, which frankly, is rude.

I think for me, it's mainly because there's so many people typing that eventually your comment gets buried. 99% of what people are saying aren't anything I want to read. I now just send private messaged to the dev of Rise the White Sun when speaking to him. I stopped even going into his Discord. 

AMPU has a Discord too, but I haven't been in that in like 6 months or more. They can find me here. 

• Based 1