The Political Lounge

Forum Presidential Ranking 2024: Part 2

vcczar

Forum Presidential Ranking 2024: Part 2  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the Following Presidents are A-grade presidents [Mount Rushmore great]

• George HW Bush [Bush I]
    • Reagan
    • Carter
    • Ford
    • Nixon
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Which of the Following Presidents are B-grade presidents [Good but not great]

3. 3. Which of the Following Presidents are C-grade presidents [Passable]

4. 4. Which of the Following Presidents are D-grade presidents [Flawed but not disasterous]

5. 5. Which of the Following Presidents are F-grade presidents [Disaster--belongs in an Abyss of Rushmore if there was one]

• George HW Bush [Bush I]
    • Reagan
    • Carter
    • Ford
    • Nixon
    • none of the above

If I'm being perfectly honest, I probably should've put Bush into B, and I can see a strong argument in favor of Ford and Carter moving down a ranking (Carter more than Ford) but I'm certain that none of them are F or A tier.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

If I'm being perfectly honest, I probably should've put Bush into B, and I can see a strong argument in favor of Ford and Carter moving down a ranking (Carter more than Ford) but I'm certain that none of them are F or A tier.

Yeah, no As or Fs for me either. I really think Reagan trickle-down, Iran-Contra, and his AIDs policy (inaction) almost warrant him an F for me, but he was at least passable in several other areas to save him.

• Based 1

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

Yeah, I could bump HW up as well.  Ironically, a lot of my dislike of him comes from my grad thesis, where I watched every state of the union (and first year) speech by every president since the introduction of CSPAN, and HW is just a really poor speech giver.  I mean, I don't have any (major) problems with HW, but he just came off as so whiney I kind of have had a visceral anti-charisma reaction to him ever since (and it's not partisan, I really hated Clinton's speeches too, this is all 100% divorced from policy, just on speech giving merits).

Also, for the whole actually being a crook think, I should probably downgrade Nixon to a D.  He's not an F though.  Policy wise I think Nixon was decent though.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I really hated Clinton's speeches too

I know he was last thread, but specifically to elaborate on this:  Clinton's tone was as if the Cold War was still going on when it was over dude, get over it.

"Soviets are dead, you can shut up about it now Bill!" -Me in 2015 yelling at a President giving a speech circa 1994

Edited by OrangeP47

I could bump up HW Bush to C and Nixon to D, but southern strategy and Lee Atwater effectively destroyed any image of reasonable, issue-based presidential campaigns.

Reagan killed the middle class, destroyed American infrastructure, mocked the AIDS epidemic, moved the country backwards in science and technology, and birthed Cable News political tribalism. Also a garbage human being. So he can enjoy his place. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Based 1

50 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

I could bump up HW Bush to C and Nixon to D, but southern strategy and Lee Atwater effectively destroyed any image of reasonable, issue-based presidential campaigns.

Reagan killed the middle class, destroyed American infrastructure, mocked the AIDS epidemic, moved the country backwards in science and technology, and birthed Cable News political tribalism. Also a garbage human being. So he can enjoy his place. 

This sounds like the most canned response akin to a Harvard political science professor, or a middle aged, terminally online Twitter Lib. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Harvard political science professor

This kind of person would probably have more insight into Reagan and Bush than you, 10centjimmy, or I would. You're basically giving 10cent a compliment here. 

• Based 1

Just now, vcczar said:

This kind of person would probably have more insight into Reagan and Bush than you, 10centjimmy, or I would. You're basically giving 10cent a compliment here. 

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to what’s going on within Harvard as of late. Hence the joke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Pringles said:

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to what’s going on within Harvard as of late. Hence the joke. 

You didn't have an argument other than a joke. Maybe I touched a nerve?

And even if you did, this is opinion-based, so you're welcome to it, too. No hard feelings intended or received. 

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Haha 1
  • Based 1

21 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

You didn't have an argument other than a joke. Maybe I touched a nerve?

And even if you did, this is opinion-based, so you're welcome to it, too. No hard feelings intended or received. 

None taken, old man. As none was intended on my behalf.

• Like 1