Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Hypothetical Trump 2nd Term Poll


vcczar

Hypothetical Trump 2nd Term Poll  

17 members have voted

  1. 1. Which of these 27 things Trump has promised to do in a second term do you support? The dates are when he said these things, which I've paraphrased to fit the poll. The source is MeidasTouch, who collected these from speeches.

    • Round up homeless people from around the country for "urban" camping and relocating them to "big tents" in the cities - 4/18/2023
      0
    • Require federal employees to take a patriotism exam; they are fired if they refuse to take it or fail the test - 4/14/2023
      0
    • Built 10 Trump "Freedom Cities" that are free of any government regulation - 4/14/2023
    • Appoint federal judges in the mold of Clarence Thomas - 4/23/2023
    • Will have the Department of Justice look into removing DAs that are anti-Trump - 5/4/2023
    • Fire staff and disband college accredition boards --basically remove the concept of accredited colleges and diplomas - 5/2/2023
    • Seize endowments and fine colleges millions of dollars if he determines they are Marxist or discriminatory to white people - 5/2/2023
    • Have General Millay arrested for treason - 9/22/2023
    • End the Ukraine War by forcing Zelensky to agree to a deal with Putin by witholding aid to Ukraine until he does so - 5/3/2023
    • Allow parents to vote for their child's school principal in elections - 6/30/2023
    • Death penalty for anyone caught selling drugs - 11/15/2022
      0
    • Pardon those who stormed the capitol, assaulted police officers, and sought to harm legislators+VP Pence during the Jan 6th insurrection - 9/1/2022
    • Arrest those running NBC and MSNBC for treason and remove them from public airwaves - 9/24/2023
      0
    • Appoint pardoned felon Michael Flynn to a top spot in the administration - 4/21/2023
      0
    • Remove Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion agencies from the government, including the military - 6/30/2023
    • Appoint the architect of the "Child Separation Policy" at the border to head ICE - 1/30/2022
    • Terminate the US Constitution if it is found that fraud took place duringan election - 12/3/2022
      0
    • Eliminate all early and absentee voting - 7/18/2023
    • Create a commission to investigate the tie of autism and vaccines - 7/15/2023
    • End birthright citizenship - 9/20/2023
    • Fire 40,000 career civil servants and replace them with "Patriots" loyal to Trump - 7/22/2022
      0
    • Create a commission to investigate ties of genetically engineered marijuana and mass shootings - 4/14/2023
    • Abolish the Dept of Education - 9/12/2023
    • Reinstitute ban on transgender soldiers - 7/15/2023
    • End secular eduction by making "God" a central feature in the public school system - 4/22/2023
    • Impose a 10% tariff (tax) on all goods imported into the US - 4/17/2023
      0
    • Reinstitute travel ban on people from muslim majority countries - 9/20/2023
    • None of the above -- it's all lunacy
  2. 2. Will the US be better off if Trump accomplishes the above than it is currently under Biden?

    • Nation is better under Biden
    • Trump's promises would make the US a better nation
  3. 3. Are any of Trump's promises impeachable offenses if he acts on them?

  4. 4. Who do you prefer?



Recommended Posts

I would never support Trump in 2016 as a grown adult as I did when I was 16 (Though Bernie was my #1 choice then), However I don't see Trump's appeal anymore. In 2016 he came off as populist, and was for things like universal healthcare (literally, Until Ted Cruz basically made him pivot) and was a legitimate interesting choice - Obviously was wrong about all this. Now he is just a Christian-Nationalist lunatic, Why I'm saying about 2016 is that I could see why so many people where like "let's give this a try". 2020 I even kinda understand because operation warp speed was actually a great thing, and his handling of covid could have been worse than it was (imagine if DeSantis was president).

 

But now? I literally have no idea how he is polling ahead of Biden based on just how crazy he is and how none of his ideas have any spark/interest anymore, If Democrats had ANY other candidate at the top of the ticket I legitimately think he'd be losing by 4-5. I think it's all about the age/energy/charisma thing. I don't think dems could have a worse major candidate then Biden on top the ticket. (Vs like a Whitmer, or Newsome, etc)

 

It's just in the literal sense of political pundentry, I have no idea what is appealing. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

But now? I literally have no idea how he is polling ahead of Biden based on just how crazy he is and how none of his ideas have any spark/interest anymore, If Democrats had ANY other candidate at the top of the ticket I legitimately think he'd be losing by 4-5. I think it's all about the age/energy/charisma thing. I don't think dems could have a worse major candidate then Biden on top the ticket. (Vs like a Whitmer, or Newsome, etc)

All polled alternatives of Biden poll worse - including Whitmer, Newsom, and Harris, which are the most polled (and most likely alternatives if Biden dropped out). 

My personal hypothesis is that there are polling flaws that haven't been caught. Polls are decently off in 2022, but that's not all I'm considering. NY's special election went Dem in a formerly red swingy seat, you've got exit polls in the GOP primary saying that a significant chunk of Haley voters will not vote for Trump in the general. It's just not adding up to me, imo. Plus the campaign hasn't started in earnest yet and I'd like to see what polling looks like this summer before I start dooming. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hestia said:

All polled alternatives of Biden poll worse - including Whitmer, Newsom, and Harris, which are the most polled (and most likely alternatives if Biden dropped out). 

My personal hypothesis is that there are polling flaws that haven't been caught. Polls are decently off in 2022, but that's not all I'm considering. NY's special election went Dem in a formerly red swingy seat, you've got exit polls in the GOP primary saying that a significant chunk of Haley voters will not vote for Trump in the general. It's just not adding up to me, imo. Plus the campaign hasn't started in earnest yet and I'd like to see what polling looks like this summer before I start dooming. 

I do agree with you, I think it will align to just be a dead heat (I.e. +/ 1 for both candidates in swing states) - But even that just shocks me. 

2016 Trump being so far behind never made sense to me then, 2024 Trump being ahead (or even tied) makes way less sense. I know we are at a high point on partisan voting, However it still just doesn't make sense. 

And then though in polls for example, Other candidates (Republican wise) all did worse vs Biden compared to Trump, it's just hard to grasp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like with Biden's actions there are some actions here, which I am generally supportive of (in theory) but can't check with a simple yes/no in good conscience. These things would need more consideration about what's the best way to achieve the goal here.

 

  • Require federal employees to take a patriotism exam; they are fired if they refuse to take it or fail the test - 4/14/2023

- what does the exam look like? How do we make sure people can't cheat? If we can't, it's more or less useless

  • Built 10 Trump "Freedom Cities" that are free of any government regulation - 4/14/2023

- He and others should fund that privately.

  • Fire staff and disband college accredition boards --basically remove the concept of accredited colleges and diplomas - 5/2/2023

- What's the goal here? Getting wokeness out of colleges and real curricula in again? If so, I support it, but couldn't that be done with accredited colleges and diplomas as well? Basically like colleges have been 50 or 100 years ago?

  • End the Ukraine War by forcing Zelensky to agree to a deal with Putin by witholding aid to Ukraine until he does so - 5/3/2023

- Ending the war is fine, but how that can be achieved is the big question here. There needs to be a strong American solution, of which Putin would be terrified. I would not endorse any concessions to Putin, but also doubt that Zelensky is the right guy to lead Ukraine.

  • Death penalty for anyone caught selling drugs - 11/15/2022

- for large-scale drug dealers and drug barons this can be warranted, because they are complicit in killing mostly young people. But you can't put someone to death who had no prior criminal record, because he sold some dope at a street corner.

  • Pardon those who stormed the capitol, assaulted police officers, and sought to harm legislators+VP Pence during the Jan 6th insurrection - 9/1/2022

- I don't see a problem if the pardons are mostly for minor offences like trespassing, but I can't say it's ok to pardon simply everyone. I support to look at this by a case-by-case basis.

  • Arrest those running NBC and MSNBC for treason and remove them from public airwaves - 9/24/2023

- Also on a case-by-case basis. It should be clear what these people have done (or not) and why they should be arrested. 

  • Appoint the architect of the "Child Separation Policy" at the border to head ICE - 1/30/2022

- Who is that? I can't support appointing someone without knowing his CV etc. Maybe there are more qualified candidates available Idk.

  • Terminate the US Constitution if it is found that fraud took place duringan election - 12/3/2022

- If it is found that fraud took place during an election, there should be heavy punishment for those involved, but I am not sure if this warrants an action to ''terminate'' the constitution. I also happen to believe, that there should be other options to achieve prosecution of those guilty of rigging or fortifying an election.

  • End birthright citizenship - 9/20/2023

- Depends on each case individually. So I'd support amending this in a way it can't be exploited anymore.

  • Fire 40,000 career civil servants and replace them with "Patriots" loyal to Trump - 7/22/2022

- Also depends on each case individually. Who are these people, what have they done wrong? Who are their replacements? Much to check here.

  • Abolish the Dept of Education - 9/12/2023

- I support a reform here rather than abolishing it altogether.

  • Reinstitute ban on transgender soldiers - 7/15/2023

- Honestly not sure. Give anyone a gun, who sincerely wants defend your nation I guess. However, no taxpayer funded gender-affirming surgeries.

  • Impose a 10% tariff (tax) on all goods imported into the US - 4/17/2023

- I can't simply say let's tax ALL foreign goods, but measures to protect and strengthen American goods should be looked into

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m a conservative Republican. According to Isidewith I agreed with Trump on 75% of the issues; the lowest Republican. Nikki Haley has been the highest Republican for me consistently, followed by either Liz Cheney when she was added or Chris Christie. 
 

There is nothing here I can check in good conscience. Cracking down on accreditation boards is one thing, but everything here is so extreme to the point of insanity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pringles said:

I’m a conservative Republican.

I'm wondering at what point you and people like you don't identify as Republicans anymore. I kind of feel like Trump ate Republican Party and it doesn't exist anymore. I think he could theoretically run again in 2028 if he loses again. I think after him, you're going to have MAGA acolytes. I don't see an "in" for Reagan Republicans, honestly. 

I've told this story before, and possibly to you, but I have this one friend (11 years older than me) who was a hardcore Reagan Republican, and he would still place Reagan on his Mount Rushmore. After Bush I, he never voted Republican for president again, despite refusing to leave the party. He would probably argue that party left him. During the Bush II years, he was calling himself an Independent Republican but voting Democrat --  he wanted a Jack Kemp, Jon Huntsman, John Kasich, Colin Powell, type Republican. He detested Gingrich as too anti-intellectual (ironic considering how intelligent he actually is), too populist, etc. He saw Dole as too similar to Gingrich. He thought Bush II was too unintelligent and this is coming from a Republican in Texas. By 2004, he thought the party was completely hijacked by proto-MAGA types. During the 2008 election, he was backing McCain until Palin was made VP, then he voted Obama. Sometime after this, someone asked him what political party he liked most, and he said, "I'm a Federalist Democrat," which is the term he's used ever since. I think the last GOP guy he was considering was Kasich. He keeps hoping for a day he can vote Republican again, but he's found a more natural (if still unnatural) home with the Democrats. 

I imagine some former GOPers think they have a better shot of influencing the Democrats more than they have a shot at influencing Republicans now. The Democrats are a big tent party, and have always been so. The GOP, since it's practicing being a cult of one, isn't big tent or is losing that application, I think. 

I think one attractive thing about Democrats for a moderate or conservative is that while the GOP's fringes, such as MTG, Bohbert, Gaetz, Trump, Flynn, Bannon, Huckabee-Sanders, etc basically run the GOP now. The Democratic fringe, while vocal, are still basically supporting characters--AOC, Sanders, Omar, etc. The main cast is still typical establishment figures like Biden, Pelosi, Schumer. In fact, I don't think anyone would know who AOC and Omar are if it wasn't for FoxNews and conservative social media accounts. I think probably the one exception is Bernie Sanders because of the attention he got in the 2016 run, but there was never a realistic threat of him beating Hillary Clinton, as much as I wanted him to beat her. 

At some point, I think ethical Republicans have to accept the death of their party or that it has at least become something other than what it was--sort of like a family member with severe dementia. That is what the Republican Party is The Grand Old Party with Dementia. It's sad from a historical perspective, considering Lincoln and TR and all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ConservativeElector2 I'm a little surprised you don't think even one of those actions are an impeachable offense. Many of those are blatant abuses of power, corruption, etc. I know some of the issue is with the US Constitution rather vaguely establishing impeachment for "High Crimes and misdemeanors" without clarifying what those are. 

But impeachment articles have been issued for bribery, abuse of power, corruption, making false statements under oath, violation of a legislative act, obstruction of Congress, incitement of an insurrection, and some others. Really the list of possibilities is great. 

I assume you also support the impeachment of Mayorkas, whose only clear fault (arguably) is incompetence, which isn't a high crime or misdemeanor. 

I guess what I'm asking is, when suspending ideology/politics, what is your base criteria for impeachment, regardless of a politicians party or ideology. With that said, does the list of 27-items avoid that. If Biden were doing liberal versions of those things, I assume you'd also oppose impeachment. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 I'm a little surprised you don't think even one of those actions are an impeachable offense. Many of those are blatant abuses of power, corruption, etc. I know some of the issue is with the US Constitution rather vaguely establishing impeachment for "High Crimes and misdemeanors" without clarifying what those are. 

Honestly, I had to pick yes or no. If I had had the option ''I am not sure'' or ''Courts shall determine that'', I would have picked that. I actually wished for having such an option when I settled for the no option, because it wasn't a convinced no for me. However, a vague no vote still seems more viable to me, than a yes vote.

To determine whether some of these things are impeachable, we would need the courts anyway. Additionally it also depends on how Trump wants to enact these things. Via an amendment or whatever. He clearly hasn't got the power to put drug dealers to death himself for example. So there's also a lot of hot air here, although I don't completely disagree with his overall intentions, as outlined above.

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I assume you also support the impeachment of Mayorkas, whose only clear fault (arguably) is incompetence, which isn't a high crime or misdemeanor. 

As a member of Congress I would have voted in favor of it, but as I already happened to believe about the two impeachments of Trump (especially the first one), all these impeachment efforts are more political theatre than factual governing. Mayorkas is still in office and it is unlikely, he will be forced out soon. So there was a month long drama, basically for nothing. I couldn't imagine as a member of Congress to be at the forefront of impeachment proceedings, because they are largely symbolic and therefore more or less useless.

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I guess what I'm asking is, when suspending ideology/politics, what is your base criteria for impeachment, regardless of a politicians party or ideology.

Probably when it can be proven that someone has aided the enemy, sold secrets to foreign nations, killed someone, knowingly sabotaged the US and stuff like that. In the pre-Trump era, it was constantly said that Clinton was nearly impeached for lying under the oath, so that comes to my mind as well, although that seems not as bad when compared to aiding an enemy nation for example.

22 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If Biden were doing liberal versions of those things, I assume you'd also oppose impeachment. 

If it's "just" bad governance and a disagreement about policies, I would also consider this impeachment useless and would not fight at the forefront of it. I mean, if I liked to see a President impeached for bad governing, I must have called for it since Day 1 of Biden's presidency. I think Biden should be defeated at the ballot booth, not necessarily by impeachment. Harris seems worse and the I am not sure if there is enough evidence regarding the seemingly everlasting ongoing impeachment effort about the Ukraine deals. So I was never very enthusiastic about the House GOP's effort, because I don't think they will be successful in the end and this doesn't let them look much better than the Dems during their largely failed impeachments against Trump. Better don't try if failure is likely at hand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

At some point, I think ethical Republicans have to accept the death of their party or that it has at least become something other than what it was--sort of like a family member with severe dementia. That is what the Republican Party is The Grand Old Party with Dementia. It's sad from a historical perspective, considering Lincoln and TR and all. 

 

IMG_2337.jpeg.3c9125ea5e698b407b9302e58ba22e2f.jpeg
One of my favorite cartoons.

Edited by Pringles
Better quality picture
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't say I am a fan of many of these campaign promises. Many of them are blatantly unconstitutional or aren't enforceable- probably because they are campaign rhetoric (think "Lock Her Up" in 2016). That being said, there are some promises that I am more partial to- I have no problem with appointing justices who are in the line of thought of Clarence Thomas, as long as we are referring to his legal mindset and not his ethics. I would also be more than happy to have policies in place that end discrimination against people by basis of their skin-color (no more bias against Asians at Harvard) and would love for the educational system to end it's practices of left-wing indoctrination. As a man of faith, I would like to see religion returned to the public conscience, but I struggle to see how that would be implemented in a way that respects all religions, let alone is constitutional.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:34 PM, vcczar said:

I'm wondering at what point you and people like you don't identify as Republicans anymore. I kind of feel like Trump ate Republican Party and it doesn't exist anymore. I think he could theoretically run again in 2028 if he loses again. I think after him, you're going to have MAGA acolytes. I don't see an "in" for Reagan Republicans, honestly.

Where are we supposed to go? The Democrats have gone so far to the left on social issues, that I very much doubt that we would be welcome. When I was a kid in the not too distant past, the Democrats believed that abortion was a tragedy that should be limited, that marriage was between one man and one woman, and certainly didn't believe that men could become women and vice versa. Anyone who believed in such things, like Dan Lipinski, have been driven out of office by their own party. I don't like Trump and I love Democracy, but I have moral values that are so antithetical to the modern Democratic Party that I can't dismiss the Republican label in it's entirety.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pius XIII said:

I can't say I am a fan of many of these campaign promises. Many of them are blatantly unconstitutional or aren't enforceable- probably because they are campaign rhetoric (think "Lock Her Up" in 2016). That being said, there are some promises that I am more partial to- I have no problem with appointing justices who are in the line of thought of Clarence Thomas, as long as we are referring to his legal mindset and not his ethics. I would also be more than happy to have policies in place that end discrimination against people by basis of their skin-color (no more bias against Asians at Harvard) and would love for the educational system to end it's practices of left-wing indoctrination. As a man of faith, I would like to see religion returned to the public conscience, but I struggle to see how that would be implemented in a way that respects all religions, let alone is constitutional.

Where are we supposed to go? The Democrats have gone so far to the left on social issues, that I very much doubt that we would be welcome. When I was a kid in the not too distant past, the Democrats believed that abortion was a tragedy that should be limited, that marriage was between one man and one woman, and certainly didn't believe that men could become women and vice versa. Anyone who believed in such things, like Dan Lipinski, have been driven out of office by their own party. I don't like Trump and I love Democracy, but I have moral values that are so antithetical to the modern Democratic Party that I can't dismiss the Republican label in it's entirety.

You could always join the Mises Caucus, they have social values straight out of the fifties just like you 😛

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised how little the media focuses on Biden's supposed mental slipups but not at all on Trump's. For at least the third time in a few months, he's said "Obama" instead of "Biden." He forgot his wife's name a couple of week's ago. There's also his routine rambling on campaign, sentences that are mish-mashed and don't lead anywhere. 

I know a lot of this is that the bar for Trump is consistently lower than it is for other politicians. Trump is expected to do that stuff, so it isn't news.

To Trump's credit, he's at least putting himself out there in front of mic more often than Biden, at least that's what it seems. Trump has probably done more interviews too. Biden has done only about 86 interviews, while an article claims Trump had done 300 and Obama had done 422 by this time in their respective presidencies. 

I think the #1 thing I want Biden to do is interview. Same with Kamala Harris. The former needs to prove his cognitive ability, the latter needs to be more fun and down-to-earth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I'm surprised how little the media focuses on Biden's supposed mental slipups but not at all on Trump's. For at least the third time in a few months, he's said "Obama" instead of "Biden." He forgot his wife's name a couple of week's ago. There's also his routine rambling on campaign, sentences that are mish-mashed and don't lead anywhere. 

I know a lot of this is that the bar for Trump is consistently lower than it is for other politicians. Trump is expected to do that stuff, so it isn't news.

To Trump's credit, he's at least putting himself out there in front of mic more often than Biden, at least that's what it seems. Trump has probably done more interviews too. Biden has done only about 86 interviews, while an article claims Trump had done 300 and Obama had done 422 by this time in their respective presidencies. 

I think the #1 thing I want Biden to do is interview. Same with Kamala Harris. The former needs to prove his cognitive ability, the latter needs to be more fun and down-to-earth. 

Did you see the one the other day?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...