The Political Lounge

Anyone know how to make a computer run games faster?

vcczar

I have an above-average to good computer. For the last year, the computer seems to run games a lot slower. Frame-rate can skip, for instance. 

Does anyone know of any things that can be deleted or done to at least slightly improve game play. 

I don't know if any of you have played Shadows of Doubt, a great detective game. When text appears on the screen its supposed to be displayed pretty much automatically, but for me it goes word by word kind of sluggishly. 

My computer used to handle playing games better. It also gets hot a lot faster than it used to. 

Another example is that I used to play Crusader Kings III pretty often but I now stop after 15 minutes because it's processing it noticably slower than it used to. It just ends up not being worth playing the game. 

How full is the storage drive with the games? If it's more than 80% full that can usually cause trouble.

13 minutes ago, Pringles said:

How full is the storage drive with the games? If it's more than 80% full that can usually cause trouble.

How do I figure that out. I have a tone of Steam games, but I tend to uninstall them if I'm not playing them. I could try uninstalling more of them. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

How do I figure that out. I have a tone of Steam games, but I tend to uninstall them if I'm not playing them. I could try uninstalling more of them. 

Go to your file explorer and click on “This PC.” It should show your storage drives and have a blue/red bar depending on how full it is. If your drives aren’t full overheating could be an issue, in which case I would take it to a computer shop you trust and tell them to re-add thermal paste/thermal pads to keep it from overheating, could use a dusting off as well with a can of compressed air.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pringles said:

Go to your file explorer and click on “This PC.” It should show your storage drives and have a blue/red bar depending on how full it is. If your drives aren’t full overheating could be an issue, in which case I would take it to a computer shop you trust and tell them to re-add thermal paste/thermal pads to keep it from overheating, could use a dusting off as well with a can of compressed air.

That seems to have improved things by 20%, which is a notable difference, and make it a lot more managable. Thanks!

• Based 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

That seems to have improved things by 20%, which is a notable difference, and make it a lot more managable. Thanks!

Glad to hear! Sometimes your drives just need to have enough space to move the space around as you do things, haha.