The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #514: Mary Landrieu

Favorable or Unfavorable #514: Mary Landrieu  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #514: Mary Landrieu

Mary Landrieu (LA-D) is the daughter of Moon Landrieu, historic New Orleans mayor and cabinet member for Carter, and Mitch Landrieu, a mayor of New Orleans. As a more moderate Democrats in a Red State, she occasionally voted against her own party. 

Her action:

Landrieu, Mary 2005 Gains attention by criticizing Bush's inadequate emergency response to Hurricane Katrina
Landrieu, Mary 2007 Breaks w/ Dems by supporting Bush supported bill to expand Patriot Act wiretapping powers
Landrieu, Mary 2009 Influential Senate Small Business Committee Chair. Serves during the bulk of the Great Recession
Landrieu, Mary 2010 Role in shaping Obamacare by strongly opposing public option
Landrieu, Mary 2014 Incumbent defeated badly in reelection bid by Cassidy

It's early in the poll, but I see my vote may be controversial, so I'll explain:  It's a Manchin situation, the best Dems are going to get from LA in this era.  Now, obviously, that's not a full excuse, but nothing here rises to the level of deal breaker, though to be fair they're close.  I think for me the deciding factors are this

1)  Obamacare still passed and is generally good, though it's true it doesn't go far enough.  The person I'd blame more for that is Lieberman, though.  I think taking a historical view point, it would be fine to make one change, and then another to improve upon the first change, but we never really got to go through that process, and that isn't solely Landrieu's fault.  There seems to be this this perception these days that everything needs to be perfect first try every time, but that's ridiculous.  In 2010 that was much less the viewpoint too.  The 2010 action still isn't great, but it's only made much worse by hindsight, and that doesn't swing the balance in light of other factors.

2)  I'm pretty anti-patriot act, but most people well informed don't realize that the actual act is much milder than it's portrayed, and a lot of the bad stuff we can all agree is bad was just done illegally anyway with or without the act.  While the patriot act never existing would bring me great joy, I don't think it would have actually changed anything because the most egregious problems were secret and hidden, and that actually brings me confidence (at present time) that nothing will ever come of mass surveillance, because to prosecute anyone with any information they obtained they have to present said evidence and admit where they got it from, which would blow the lid on their entire illegal operation.  It would be monumentally stupid to actually ever use any such evidence until we get to the point of people being black bagged on the street.

34 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

It's early in the poll, but I see my vote may be controversial, so I'll explain:  It's a Manchin situation, the best Dems are going to get from LA in this era.  Now, obviously, that's not a full excuse, but nothing here rises to the level of deal breaker, though to be fair they're close.  I think for me the deciding factors are this

1)  Obamacare still passed and is generally good, though it's true it doesn't go far enough.  The person I'd blame more for that is Lieberman, though.  I think taking a historical view point, it would be fine to make one change, and then another to improve upon the first change, but we never really got to go through that process, and that isn't solely Landrieu's fault.  There seems to be this this perception these days that everything needs to be perfect first try every time, but that's ridiculous.  In 2010 that was much less the viewpoint too.  The 2010 action still isn't great, but it's only made much worse by hindsight, and that doesn't swing the balance in light of other factors.

2)  I'm pretty anti-patriot act, but most people well informed don't realize that the actual act is much milder than it's portrayed, and a lot of the bad stuff we can all agree is bad was just done illegally anyway with or without the act.  While the patriot act never existing would bring me great joy, I don't think it would have actually changed anything because the most egregious problems were secret and hidden, and that actually brings me confidence (at present time) that nothing will ever come of mass surveillance, because to prosecute anyone with any information they obtained they have to present said evidence and admit where they got it from, which would blow the lid on their entire illegal operation.  It would be monumentally stupid to actually ever use any such evidence until we get to the point of people being black bagged on the street.

I was like 52% unfavorable. I went back and forth and then just decided to go only by the actions because I was so conflicted. I saw 3 bad actions to 2 good actions. 

• Based 1

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I was like 52% unfavorable. I went back and forth and then just decided to go only by the actions because I was so conflicted. I saw 3 bad actions to 2 good actions. 

Yeah, like I anticipate on the health care the counter would be more "elected officials should have some more foresight than the general populace" and yeah, they should, but they don't.  So if I was gonna mark Landrieu down for that I'd be marking literally everyone down for it.

55 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, like I anticipate on the health care the counter would be more "elected officials should have some more foresight than the general populace" and yeah, they should, but they don't.  So if I was gonna mark Landrieu down for that I'd be marking literally everyone down for it.

I'd be more supportive if her break with Democrats on that vote had helped her win reelection against a Republican. She did it, and she still lost, so it was a bad wager. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'd be more supportive if her break with Democrats on that vote had helped her win reelection against a Republican. She did it, and she still lost, so it was a bad wager. 

I feel like I could just post my reply again, but eh, that's a competence issue really which I'd again not really factor in when it comes to elections.  At some point, Louisiana gonna Louisiana.