The Political Lounge

Information

Timur

17 hours ago, Patine said:

@jvikings1 @ConservativeElector2 I must ask (probably again, several times) that both of you often quote, "Christian Conservative Values and Ideals," as part of the policies and platforms you advocate for, support, and push. So, please tell me, as you haven't really previously, where is the, "Christ," in "Christian Conservative Values and Ideals," - in terms of the Ministry, Message, and Doctrine of Christ, the Path to Salvation, how He enjoined his followers to live, to treat each other, and to treat other, His disregard and cautionary tales against the aquisition of wealth as a lifestyle and priority, but that wealth should be given to charity and good works, and His disregard for mortal government and law as a vehicle on the Path to Salvation, and that Life (ALL Life), Peace, Forgiveness, and Love are the Pillars of the Christian Religion? I see none of the Spirit and Tenor of the Teachings of Christ in the, "Christian Conservative Values and Ideals," that you and so many other nowadays peddle, only cynical, manipulative, exploitative, praying on the faithful disingenuously, using the label of being, "Christian," and the Lord's Name in vain for ulterior motives by wolves clothing amongst the flock, and those leading the rhetorical charge who are of the sort Christ referred to when He said, "better to have never been born at all than to lead these ones astray."

Funny how you tag me because I oppose using government to spread Christianity. I believe in the concept of free will and the ability for people to chose their direction in life (whether I agree with it or not). I certainly have strong personal feelings/beliefs due to my Christian faith, but I do not believe in using violence to force those onto others. And that applies to both morals and wealth. Sure, I do not agree with the mass accumulation of weather to serve one's own purposes, but that does not give me the right to force those who have it to distribute it as I would prefer it be. I don't agree with the recreationally use of marijuana, but I won't force that view on others either.

Will this be enough for you? probably not, but it is a good thing your opinion does not have any relevance in the ultimate judgement at the end.

For the sake of the scenario you are making, use this for me. I am putting these letters in here independent of the description. I'm basically my stances on where I think I fall on the spectrum and not based on how the position descriptions in the game. 

Abortion: L

Business: L

China: L

Corruption: FL

COVID-19: L

Cuba: L

D.C. Statehood: L

Defense Spending: FL

Economy: L

Education: FL

Electoral Reform: FL

Energy: L

Environment: FL

Free Trade: CL

Government Spending: L

Gun Control: CL

Healthcare: FL

Homeland Security: L

Immigration: L

Israel: L

Keystone Pipeline: L

LGBT Rights: L

Military Intervention: FL

Minimum Wage: FL

Native Americans: L

Native Hawaiians: L

North Korea: L

Offshore Drilling: L

Partisanship: CL

Puerto Rico: L

Racial Injustice: FL

Role of Government: L

Russia: L

Russian Interference: L

Social Security: L

Student Debt: FL

Supreme Court Nominations: CL

Tax Rates: L

Trump Support: L

Unions: FL

Venezuela: L

Wall Street: FL

War on Drugs: L

War on Terrorism: L

I may change some of these later once I have time to read the descriptions. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jvikings1 said:
On 7/24/2021 at 3:23 AM, Dobs said:

One can support things such as criminal justice reform, ending qualified immunity, etc. without propping up marxist talking points. As Eric July splendidly points out, it is silly to suggest that one has to ally themselves with people on one day when they would be perfectly fine to tear you down the other 6 days of the week.

I actually agree with you here. So then let’s continue this logic train. Where have I propped up Marxist talking points?

10 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Sure gays have personal liberty, but the concept of "gay rights" as a separate category is ridiculous. And I am against the state being involved in the institution of marriage (unconstitutional under the 1st Amendment; something the Supreme Court failed to recognize in its ridiculous Obergefell ruling). So, I don't know where you are coming from by saying that I want to deprive them of liberty. As long as people mind their own business and don't try to hurt me/my stuff, they are free to make their own life decisions. But, I will stand 100% against the attempt to have their view of sexuality forced upon others.

This is great to hear! I also favor government getting out of marriage. (Though we disagree on the Obergefell thing.) Just a short aside on that, Obergefell doesn’t force any religious organization to perform a same-sex wedding. That would certainly violate 1A’s free exercise clause However, so long as marriage is a legal entity recognized by the government (not saying it should be but so long as it is), I think it’s pretty clear that the 14th amendment requires it be extended equally to all people. If you’re saying that the very recognition of marriage is a violation of 1A’s establishment clause, that’s a much better argument but I still don’t think it passes muster because the word marriage itself doesn’t possess any religious context in the legal setting- to the government a marriage is a purely legal contract that does not need a priest or ministers seal of approval- just a county clerk.

Obergefell aside over, let’s continue. It seems you do support gay rights. The reason they are called that isn’t because they are special rights. They’re called that because they are the rights that you and I have accessed for centuries that gay people have been denied all along. If you don’t like calling them that, that’s fine. Maybe “equal rights for gay people” sits better with you. It really is the same concept.

Finally, I also don’t support forcing sexuality on anyone. I think that is borderline statutory rape. Of course, I’m speaking on the interpersonal level. I’m not sure though if you mean there is some grand agenda to turn us all gay? Perhaps you could elaborate here on how protecting equality under law for gay people forces their sexuality on us.

Barring that it seems you and I have a lot of overlap.

• Like 3

Just to let you know, that I did this in the 270soft Forums as well. @TheLiberalKitten (who might be @Kitten here), @SunnymentoAddict, @populist86, and @lizphairphreak responded so far.

6 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I believe I already responded to this one, didn’t I?

I'm sorry, but I added more issues...

• Like 1

I will wait this week. If no one replies, I will go the next step.

Healthcare: L

Immigration: CL

Free Trade: R

Economy: L

Gun Control: C

Tax Rates: L

Social Security: CL

Russian Interference: CL

War on Drugs: L

Wall Street: FL

Corruption: CL

Trump Support: L

Unions: L

War on Terror: L

Minimum Wage: CL

Defense Spending: CL

Military Intervention: L

Role of Government: CL

North Korea: CL

Government Spending: CL

Energy: L

LGBT Rights: L

Environment: L

China: CL

Electoral Reform: L

Supreme Court Nominations: CL

Abortion: CL

Education: L

Student Debt: L

Business Policy: CL

COVID-19: L

Cuba: C

DC Statehood: CL

Homeland Security: L

Israel: CL

Keystone Pipeline: L

Native Americans: L

Native Hawaiians: CL

Offshore Drilling: L

Partisanship: C

Racial Injustice: L

Russia CL

Venezuela C

Puerto Rico: L

• Thanks 1

Edouard (D-New Hampshire)

Abortion

L Keep abortion as it is presently. Safe, legal, and rare. Keep partial-birth abortion legal. Significantly increase funding to Planned Parenthood.

Business Policy

C: The interests of business, employees, and consumers need to be balanced.

But with tendencies to also vote for

CR: Pro-growth business-friendly policies must be implemented. Unions get in the way. We need strong labor laws.

China

Depending of the moment and issues, fluctuate between

L Support a pro-labor tariff, but avoid any bellicose diplomacy that could exacerbate the problem. Take diplomatic steps with regard to human rights.

CL Our trade with China is fine. Focus more on human rights.

Corruption

C Washington, D.C. is corrupt. We need better oversight and reform.

COVID-19

Center: COVID-19 is a concern. Cede control to the states, but encourage social distancing and continued lockdowns as needed. Continue opening schools carefully.

Vaccine : Favors measures to push people to get vaccinated.

Cuba

CR: Only loosen the embargo if Cuba actually starts moving in the direction of Capitalism, and Democracy.

D.C. Statehood

Open to

L: The people of D.C deserve representation in the House and the Senate!

Favors

CL: The people of D.C deserve at least representation in the House of Representatives.

Defense Spending

CL Reorganize the armed forces to deal with modern threats. Fewer ground troops, more drones and airstrikes.

Economy

C The economy is doing well, some of that credit is Obama's, some is Trump's.

Education

L No school vouchers, large increase to federal funding. Modernize school system with more after-school programs. Reduce university tuition costs significantly.

Electoral Reform

Open to

CL Expand the House in order to make both the Congress and the Electoral College more proportional. Overturn Citizens United which gives too much power to corporations. Automatic voter registration. Election Day a national holiday. Fight discriminatory voter ID laws. Statehood for Washington, D.C. Voter-verified paper audit trail.

Favors

C Gerrymandering reform, but no other dramatic changes to our electoral processes. Voter-verified paper audit trail.

Energy

C Balance renewables and fossil fuels, with the aim to move to energy sources that emit less CO2. Careful, limited expansion of off-shore drilling.

Environment

CL We need to leave a healthy environment for our children. Work to reduce emissions and harmful toxins. Return to Paris Accord.

Free Trade

C Free-but-fair trade. Consider new free trade deals carefully, and create incentives to keep jobs in America.

Government Spending

C Balance lowering the deficit with other priorities. No long-term deficits.

Gun Control

Favors

CL The right to bear arms, but only responsibly! Ban assault rifles, require registration/background checks.

Open

C Responsible gun ownership is fine. Increase age limits to purchase guns, expand ability to seize guns from dangerous individuals.

Healthcare

Open

L Our healthcare system is broken, with the focus on insurers and drug companies making profits instead of Americans being healthy. Move towards single-payer, public healthcare, like it is in much of the rest of the first world.

Favors

CL Keep Obamacare - it is much better than what came before it. Consider expanding public coverage.

Homeland Security

CL: We must defend ourselves only if attacked. Increase some security, funding for natural disasters. Oppose Patriot Act. Government surveillance is needed. Require the government to obtain warrants in those cases.

Immigration

C Enforce existing rules, no wall, path to normalization for most illegal immigrants already here.

Israel

L: Encourage Israel to work towards a "grand bargain" with the Palestinians and hostile Arab states. A two-state solution is needed.

Keystone Pipeline

Center: Support the Keystone Pipeline, but also aid new businesses and create job opportunities in other sectors.

LGBT Rights

L Pass more anti-discrimination laws for LGBT citizens. Celebrate accomplishments of the transgender community! Protect Transgender soldiers!

Military Intervention

CL For humanitarian causes or if we are attacked.

Minimum Wage

C Leave federal minimum wage where it is, but support state efforts to raise it

Native Americans

CL: What we did to the Natives was awful. The government should do something to counter act the lingering side effects of our history of anti-Native policy.

Native Hawaiians 

CL: The Akaka Bill will provide Native Hawaiians at least all the same federal benefits that Native Americans have. It is the right thing to do after we overthrew the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1893.

North Korea

CL Diplomacy and economic sanctions should make North Korea see things our way. War is not necessary, but no cozying up to dictators!

Offshore Drilling

CL Drop plans for expanding Offshore Drilling and get into alternative energy; like Nuclear, Solar and Ethanol.

Partisanship

C The hyper-partisanship and failure of conversation this country is experiencing is very bad for the overall health of our nation, and we should try to remedy the issue as soon as possible!

Puerto Rico

C The people of Puerto Rico have the right to the political status of their choice, obtained through a fair, neutral, and democratic process of self-determination, wither it be statehood or independence. Congress should act upon their decision.

Racial Injustice

C We need to open a discussion on race by bringing all sides, from BLM activists to police officers, to the table to work through the issues plaguing our nation through pragmatic means.

Role of Government

C The Government needs to be more efficient, but is otherwise fine.

Russia

CL We need to take indirect action to control Russia, and to protect our allies. Use sanctions and rally allies, but make sure we do not throw ourselves into war. This can be solved without conflict.

Russian Interference

C There was certainly Russian interference in 2016, but it wasn't a major factor, and the Special Counsel established there isn't good evidence of collusion between Trump and Russia. Careful House oversight is fine. Russia is primarily a foe, not ally. Trump likes dictators like Putin too much, but he's not controlled by them. 

Social Security

C Allow a small amount of private investment but keep it regulated.

Student Debt

Favors

FL Forgive all student loans immediately. Pass legislation to make public colleges free or inexpensive.

Open to

L Forgive student loans after 10 years of income-based repayment. Pass legislation to make college affordable.

Supreme Court Nominations

CL Replace existing justices with liberal-leaning swing judges. 

Tax Rates

CL Raise taxes on the rich, reduce taxes on the middle class, and reform the corporate tax system (eliminate loopholes).

Trump Support

CL Continue investigations of Trump in the House, but be careful. Possible impeachment.

Vote for impeachment after Capitol Riot

Unions

C Labor demands must be balanced with business concerns.

Venezuela

C Maintain sanctions until Maduro steps down.

Wall Street

CL Reinstate Glass-Steagle.

War on Drugs

L Legalize soft drugs, and consider the legalization of other drugs - decrease spending on Drug War.

War on Terrorism

CL A renewed focus on multilateral foreign policy aimed at engaging terrorism as a police issue. Protect civil liberties.

• Thanks 1

Abortion: CL 

Business: C 

China: CR 

Corruption: C 

COVID-19: CL 

Cuba: C 

D.C. Statehood: CR 

Defense Spending: CL 

Economy: C 

Education: L 

Electoral Reform: C