The Political Lounge

Electoral Reform Poll

vcczar

Electoral Reform Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following reforms would you support to expand democracy in the United States?

• pass a constitutional amendment establishing the right to vote for all citizens, which would provide a solid litigation basis to fight voting restrictions
    • establish automatic voter registration and national ID cards
    • Expand early voting and easy mail-in voting options
    • Make election day a Sunday or national holiday
    • Restore voting rights to all ex-felons who have served their time
    • Restore national voting rights protections and federal oversight of election rules and administration
    • Replace partisan electoral admins with non-partisan referees to oversee the elections to ensure fairness
    • abolish the electoral college, sticking with a popular vote for president
    • make the number of US Senators more proportional (ex. Texas should have more senators than Vermont)
    • get rid of "first-past-the-post" electoral rules in districts
    • eliminate partisan gerrymandering
    • expand the US House to allow more representation
    • abolish the filibuster
    • establish term limits for SC Justices
    • Make amending the Constitution easier. Require a simple 2/3 supermajority of both House and Senate only with no state ratification necessary.
    • I oppose all of these reformists ideas

Some ideas I support (eliminating FPTP, increasing non-partisan overview of elections), but should be state decisions rather than federal.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I don't have much time to elaborate at the moment (and tbh most of these either don't need much elaboration or I've talked about in the past so I feel my stance is known), but I want to say you can't have election day a holiday (while I support it) without early voting, or else we're just gonna have people scheduled in retail to work the "election day sale bonanza 50% off everything must go" to be prevented from voting.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Voter ID requirement without automatic registration

Automatic registration without voter ID requirement

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

Tax credit for voting.

7 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Not voting is just as legitimate as voting IMO.

that is actually a pretty good compromise to the issue, giving an incentive to voting would make it easier and better for the person to actually vote.

40 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

While the Senate being more representative is nice, it really just creates another house. I'd propose replacing the Senate completely with an assembly elected by national popular vote with proportional representation. 

It would still have different duties than the US House. I like Larry Sabato's plan, which was something like 1 to 5 US Senators per state depending on the size of the state. It still gives the small states inflated influence but is more democratic/representative. 

I'm also okay with us having a unicameral legislature, but the question is how to integrate Senate duties into a unicameral legislature. Impeachment should be completely non-partisan, so I'm okay with taking the legislature out of impeachment trials. 

If I could wave a magic wand I would reform our electoral system into something similar to that of Germany. Apportion the House via cube root, no senate, MMP with star voting, etc. Unfortunately, that'll never be a reality 😔

• Thanks 1

On the topic of the Senate, I'm actually kind of originalist on that chamber.  However, my preferred reform is giving each state THREE senators instead of two, and having one of those senators up each cycle.  One of the variants of the French Republic experimented with basing their system around 3 and I find it quite interesting (as is my obsession with metric time).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

On the topic of the Senate, I'm actually kind of originalist on that chamber.  However, my preferred reform is giving each state THREE senators instead of two, and having one of those senators up each cycle.  One of the variants of the French Republic experimented with basing their system around 3 and I find it quite interesting (as is my obsession with metric time).

I like that idea a lot.