Favorable or Unfavorable #542: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #542: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #542: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr

• Favorable
    • Unfavorable

Henry Cabot Lodge Jr (MA-R) is actually the grandson of the first HC Lodge, and not the son. Lodge lost to JFK twice in his life, including as part of the Nixon/Lodge ticket in 1960. He was nearly VP. 

Lodge's contributions to US history are probably strongest as the primary prompter of Eisenhower as the GOP nominee. Prior to Lodge, people were unsure if Eisenhower would even run and if he did, if he would be a Democrat or a Republican. Thomas E Dewey also had a big role in getting Eisenhower to run and get the nomination. 

Lodge's other major contribution was a major foreign policy figure for 20 years during the Cold War. He held major foreign policy offices for Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, and Ford. It was he who represented the US delegation during the treaty that ended the Vietnam War. 

His idea for basically annexing South Vietnam to make it a protectorate, similar to the Philippines, is interesting. Lodge believed doing so would prevent a war, while creating stability. I'm not sure how it would have prevented a war. My guess is there was the belief that North Vietnam didn't want to fight the US, and that doing so would be enough to end the fighting between North and South. Obviously in hindsight, the advice makes it seem as if he is committing the US to a much more engaged war. We have to understand the situation was different in 1963.

His actions:

Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1944 Resigns from US Sen to serve in WWII as an officer, the first US Sen to do this since the Civil War
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1944 Single-handedly captures a 4-man German patrol during wartime
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1946 Returns to US Sen after WWII service
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1951 promotes Eisenhower for GOP nominee
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1951 Initially supportive of McCarthyism, breaks with him as McCarthy becomes more radical
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1952 Promotes a pro-Eisenhower fair-play amdt at GOP convention; serves as a campaign manager for Eisenhower
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1952 Incumbent US Sen loses reelection in high profile race vs future pres JFK
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1953 Confirmed UN Amb for Eisenhower
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1959 Leads Soviet leader Khruschev on tour of the US
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1960 Rep Pres VP on Nixon ticket
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1963 Appt Amb to South Vietnam by JFK
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1963 After Diem's assassination advises JFK to make S Vietnam a protectorate of the US, like the Philippines, as an alternative to war to bring stability
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1964 Resigned as Amb to S Vietnam to become Rep pres cand
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1964 Refuses to back Goldwater who he finds as divisive and unwilling to help Americans in need
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1965 Reappointed after failed pres cand bid to Amb to S Vietnam by LBJ
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1968 Appt Amb to W Germany by LBJ
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1970 Appt Amb to the Vatican by Nixon
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1973 Leads US delegation at Paris Peace Accords, ending Vietnam War
Lodge, Henry Cabot, Jr. 1974 Kept on as Amb to the Vatican by Ford

It's a weak favorable, but I can't say unfavorable.  I will say making S Vietnam a protectorate, in 1963, is a really boneheaded idea.  I do applaud the outside the box thinking, maybe there is some universe where that's a good idea, I want to believe, just because of the sheer insanity of it, but 1963 the window for such a thing had long since passed, if it was ever open in the first place.  I mean in general I think we should have just welcomed Ho Chi Mihn as an ally of the US in the first place because he preferred the US to the actual communists at first, but that's also probably a unicorn.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean in general I think we should have just welcomed Ho Chi Mihn as an ally of the US in the first place because he preferred the US to the actual communists at first, but that's also probably a unicorn.

If only...

• Like 1