Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Starship Simulator


OrangeP47

Recommended Posts

I know at least some of you have seen this.  TBH it sounds like the game I've been waiting my entire life for.  I'm confident it's going to go far too, because there's already a working demo of walking around the ship on steam (And like, the video is from the working product, which is impressive already).  The funding is more or less just so the procedural galaxy can be developed.  Even in this state this is basically the genre I live for, it's the closest non Star Trek Star Trek product I've ever seen haha.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fleetyard/starship-simulator

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I know at least some of you have seen this.  TBH it sounds like the game I've been waiting my entire life for.  I'm confident it's going to go far too, because there's already a working demo of walking around the ship on steam (And like, the video is from the working product, which is impressive already).  The funding is more or less just so the procedural galaxy can be developed.  Even in this state this is basically the genre I live for, it's the closest non Star Trek Star Trek product I've ever seen haha.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fleetyard/starship-simulator

 

 

Looks cool. Have you ever played similar games like say, No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous? I used to play Star Trek Online quite a good bit back in the day, alongside SWTOR and other similar games, you get the gist. This one looks like a fun game to simply "chill" in, akin to Universe Sandbox or Space Engine, even No Mans's Sky... just better hopefully. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Looks cool. Have you ever played similar games like say, No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous? I used to play Star Trek Online quite a good bit back in the day, alongside SWTOR and other similar games, you get the gist. This one looks like a fun game to simply "chill" in, akin to Universe Sandbox or Space Engine, even No Mans's Sky... just better hopefully. 

I played Star Trek Online a bit, but unfortunately with life being, well, life, I don't have time to commit to an actual MMO.  I played NMS a bit too and really enjoyed it but unfortunately it was on my old PC so it kinda chugged... was actually thinking about reinstalling it now that I have my new PC but with the new PC I have so many other new games that I couldn't previously play haha, but I might get back around to it.

  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I played Star Trek Online a bit, but unfortunately with life being, well, life, I don't have time to commit to an actual MMO.  I played NMS a bit too and really enjoyed it but unfortunately it was on my old PC so it kinda chugged... was actually thinking about reinstalling it now that I have my new PC but with the new PC I have so many other new games that I couldn't previously play haha, but I might get back around to it.

I played Star Trek Online too. It was fun. I played it for many 4 months every day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I played Star Trek Online too. It was fun. I played it for many 4 months every day.

I was consistently playing it back around 2015-2017 with a good friend of mine, maybe we ran by each other some time haha, funny to think about. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

See, you'll gain a lot of insight into my insane political ramblings if you take me at face value when I say "Star Trek is my religion"

I wouldn't even say I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I'm just a big fan of TOS... watched it since I was a kid. I remember when the movies starting in 2009 came out, I liked those as well. Can't get into the other shows. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Voyager is my favorite Star Trek series bar none, but I also love TNG, TOS, and Enterprise (Probably in that order). I hated the reboot movies, and other than Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds there isn't much I've enjoyed from Star Trek post 2005.

 

Anyway, the game looks great, though I hope it's not too action/military oriented, and I'm naturally reticent to support projects that seem to make big promises.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up with Voyager, and I'm glad a lot of the hate for it is now wearing off, though conversely as an adult I can now see some of the flaws.  I still think it balances out to the better end of the scale.  A lot of the things people hate Janeway for Sisko did to, he just got away with it because he's the fan's golden boy.

The game appears to be focused on exploring rather than fighting.

  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Voyager is my favorite Star Trek series bar none, but I also love TNG, TOS, and Enterprise (Probably in that order). I hated the reboot movies, and other than Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds there isn't much I've enjoyed from Star Trek post 2005.

 

Anyway, the game looks great, though I hope it's not too action/military oriented, and I'm naturally reticent to support projects that seem to make big promises.

 

29 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I grew up with Voyager, and I'm glad a lot of the hate for it is now wearing off, though conversely as an adult I can now see some of the flaws.  I still think it balances out to the better end of the scale.  A lot of the things people hate Janeway for Sisko did to, he just got away with it because he's the fan's golden boy.

The game appears to be focused on exploring rather than fighting.

I remember when ST: TNG first came out. During season 1 there was a serial that came with stickers of the ship and characters, and I put those stickers on my bed. I don't think I started watching the show until season 4 because I don't think it registered with me that the stickers were from a TV show until then. I think I only watched cartoons until about season 4, unless my parents were watching something. 

I watched all of the rest of Star Trek: TNG and then the entirety of ST: DS9. I ended up watching what I missed of TNG eventually. I was excited when Voyager came out but I was disappointed that the Klingons, Romulans, etc weren't going to be major features. I watched all of Season 1, some of Season 2, and then I stopped watching Voyager. I didn't dislike it, it just couldn't keep my attention. All of the characters were alright, but I couldn't get excited about any of them. I think the doctor was my favorite. I can't even remember his name. I remember Captain Janeway's name. And Tuvok, who was probably my 2nd favorite character.

I have watched much of the original series with Captain Kirk. In fact, I saw many of those before I ever saw a TNG episode. 

I'd say TNG was my favorite because I liked every character and Captain Picard is my favorite captain. Worf was probably my favorite character at the time. I also grew up watching Reading Rainbow so Laforge was my 2nd favorite. Picard is probably my favorite now, but during the airing, it was Worf. 

I was elated when Worf went to DS9 after TNG finished. My favorite DS9 character, if you exclude Worf, was Quark. I liked everyone from this show too, but not quite as much as with TNG. I think DS9 had the best big picture storyline. TNG was basically isolated episodes that often wasn't connected to any sort of narrative campaign. DS9, about the time Worf arrived, did. The last few episodes dealt with a major war. I thought that was amazing how they put it all together with all the different species, many which had been around since TOS or at least TNG. To me, since they overlap, the best Star Trek experience is to watch TNG and DS9 in chronological order, even when they overlap. 

Voyager seemed almost like a totally different show. I understand they felt like they'd already maxed out on the whole Federation/Klingon/Romulan, etc.dynamic and Voyager allowed them to break new ground and such. 

Never saw the show Picard, strangely enough.

As a kid I had the toys of almost all of TNG and DS9, including the bridge, engineering, transporter for the enterpise, and i had Quark's bar for DS9. In addition, I had the collectible card game for TNG and DS9---same for Star Wars and Monty Python.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think the doctor was my favorite. I can't even remember his name.

I haven't read the rest of this yet, but I'm going to stop you right there.  The doctor on voyager didn't HAVE a name, he was just The Doctor, because he was a hologram haha.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen every piece of Star Trek canon there is.  Really, I like it all, but why I credit Voyager to being a foundational experience is because Janeway, as a woman, was captain.  That's just how it was.  Now of course I, like everyone, have inherent biases, but I feel like as a child having the captain of the ship be a woman taught me that was just normal, and I was actually confused in the real world when I discovered women often faced pushback in positions of leadership.  Now, Janeway is a seriously flawed character, though I'd argue at times that's actually an asset to storytelling, but nobody every questioned her leadership on the grounds of who she was.  Sisko was likewise a milestone, but as I said, I grew up with Voyager, not DS9, so I can speak less to it.  I can just say, 100%, that I am better off as a person from having had that experience and exposure though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I've seen every piece of Star Trek canon there is.  Really, I like it all, but why I credit Voyager to being a foundational experience is because Janeway, as a woman, was captain.  That's just how it was.  Now of course I, like everyone, have inherent biases, but I feel like as a child having the captain of the ship be a woman taught me that was just normal, and I was actually confused in the real world when I discovered women often faced pushback in positions of leadership.  Now, Janeway is a seriously flawed character, though I'd argue at times that's actually an asset to storytelling, but nobody every questioned her leadership on the grounds of who she was.  Sisko was likewise a milestone, but as I said, I grew up with Voyager, not DS9, so I can speak less to it.  I can just say, 100%, that I am better off as a person from having had that experience and exposure though.

I don't ever remember thinking about race or gender or anything when watching any of the shows. For some reason I thought we were the same age. 

I'm looking at the dates now and Star Trek: TNG came out when I was 8, so I was older than what I thought. This probably means I started watching the show at season 2 or 3 as it aired, instead of season 3 or 4. I was 15 when TNG was off the air. 

I was 14 when DS9 started and 20 when it ended. That's about the time I stopped watching TV, never to resume until age 34. 

Voyager began when I was 15, almost 16. I stopped watching it at about age 18. I think part of the reason is that when I started working at a video game store, and was rapidly promoted to manager. I kept watching DS9 but not Voyager. I think I only had time for that because I was also taking classes. Voyager ended when I was 22, but I probably wasn't aware it was over because I sort of took a hiatus on keeping up with tv shows or movies for 12 years.

I don't seem to remember Voyager overlapping that much with DS9 but I see that it did. Wow. How memory works. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't ever remember thinking about race or gender or anything when watching any of the shows. For some reason I thought we were the same age. 

I'm looking at the dates now and Star Trek: TNG came out when I was 8, so I was older than what I thought. This probably means I started watching the show at season 2 or 3 as it aired, instead of season 3 or 4. I was 15 when TNG was off the air. 

I was 14 when DS9 started and 20 when it ended. That's about the time I stopped watching TV, never to resume until age 34. 

Voyager began when I was 15, almost 16. I stopped watching it at about age 18. I think part of the reason is that when I started working at a video game store, and was rapidly promoted to manager. I kept watching DS9 but not Voyager. I think I only had time for that because I was also taking classes. Voyager ended when I was 22, but I probably wasn't aware it was over because I sort of took a hiatus on keeping up with tv shows or movies for 12 years.

I don't seem to remember Voyager overlapping that much with DS9 but I see that it did. Wow. How memory works. 

 

 

 

I was born in 91.  DS9 was still on the air, and while I have some pretty early memories, not of DS9.  Probably because of our rural location actually *getting* Star Trek over the air was a choir.  We just had broadcast, no cable, so if the weather was anything less than perfect, no signal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I was born in 91.  DS9 was still on the air, and while I have some pretty early memories, not of DS9.  Probably because of our rural location actually *getting* Star Trek over the air was a choir.  We just had broadcast, no cable, so if the weather was anything less than perfect, no signal.

Wow, you're way younger than I thought you were. I was 12 years old when you were born.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Wow, you're way younger than I thought you were. I was 12 years old when you were born.

I've mentioned it before lol.  It's probably because I'm the most vocal with these "damned kids get off my lawn" around here haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I've mentioned it before lol.  It's probably because I'm the most vocal with these "damned kids get off my lawn" around here haha.

I used to remember almost everything people would tell me, but it's gotten worse since about 2010, which is about the time I started interacting people more often online than in person. I read rapidly, often multi-tasking, so information doesn't always stick. Life was much slower for me prior to 2010, so that's probably the leading factor. I do everything in a hurry now. No time to slow down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vcczar said:

I used to remember almost everything people would tell me, but it's gotten worse since about 2010, which is about the time I started interacting people more often online than in person. I read rapidly, often multi-tasking, so information doesn't always stick. Life was much slower for me prior to 2010, so that's probably the leading factor. I do everything in a hurry now. No time to slow down.

Yeah, I feel ya.  I used to have a near photographic memory, but I'm on a medication for migraines.  Side effect is memory loss.  Working in insurance, I know many, many people absolutely do a 180 once put on this drug because their memory just goes out entirely, but I think because mine was so great to begin with it just downgraded me to above average instead of photographic.  I used to say, and still do to an extent, I'm not actually smart, I just remember every fact I'm ever exposed to.  That's how I recalled that conversation regarding the bug you're working on with Anthony right now, and it's a real asset when we might have otherwise forgotten something in our playtest.

Sometimes I wonder if I could have an even better memory again if I stop taking the pill, but the thing is, it cut me down from a migraine literally every other week, to maybe one a YEAR.  That's a trade I'll take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, I feel ya.  I used to have a near photographic memory, but I'm on a medication for migraines.  Side effect is memory loss.  Working in insurance, I know many, many people absolutely do a 180 once put on this drug because their memory just goes out entirely, but I think because mine was so great to begin with it just downgraded me to above average instead of photographic.  I used to say, and still do to an extent, I'm not actually smart, I just remember every fact I'm ever exposed to.  That's how I recalled that conversation regarding the bug you're working on with Anthony right now, and it's a real asset when we might have otherwise forgotten something in our playtest.

Sometimes I wonder if I could have an even better memory again if I stop taking the pill, but the thing is, it cut me down from a migraine literally every other week, to maybe one a YEAR.  That's a trade I'll take.

Yeah, my memory used to be near-photographic too. I read books and remembered just about everything in them. I'd remember page #s of books where I found information at times, too. A lot of factors really get in the way of memory retention. I had few distractions compared to today. My life is pretty much in continual distraction now, so it makes it hard for me to really reflect on anything or even focus on anything. I could easily fix all of this if I stubbornly stopped trying to take on so much, and also if I asserted myself to get more me time domestically. I was much more of a hermit (social hermit) in 2010 and before. Being able to be periodically monastic to focus and reflect on this was huge and something I miss. 

I also repeat myself a lot more now mainly because I don't remember who I've said certain things to. I think I have a capacity of remembering what I have said or not said to a maximum of 100 people. If one isn't among the 100 people I see in person routinely or have known for a long time, then I have hard time remember what conversations have occurred and which haven't. For instance, in about three years I'll probably forget what age you are or that you're a Star Trek fan. But if you had told me this today, and you were one of those 100 people I interact with personally or have known for a long time, I won't forget it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vcczar said:

Yeah, my memory used to be near-photographic too. I read books and remembered just about everything in them. I'd remember page #s of books where I found information at times, too. A lot of factors really get in the way of memory retention. I had few distractions compared to today. My life is pretty much in continual distraction now, so it makes it hard for me to really reflect on anything or even focus on anything. I could easily fix all of this if I stubbornly stopped trying to take on so much, and also if I asserted myself to get more me time domestically. I was much more of a hermit (social hermit) in 2010 and before. Being able to be periodically monastic to focus and reflect on this was huge and something I miss. 

I also repeat myself a lot more now mainly because I don't remember who I've said certain things to. I think I have a capacity of remembering what I have said or not said to a maximum of 100 people. If one isn't among the 100 people I see in person routinely or have known for a long time, then I have hard time remember what conversations have occurred and which haven't. For instance, in about three years I'll probably forget what age you are or that you're a Star Trek fan. But if you had told me this today, and you were one of those 100 people I interact with personally or have known for a long time, I won't forget it. 

and by interact. I mean, in person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, I feel ya.  I used to have a near photographic memory, but I'm on a medication for migraines.  Side effect is memory loss.  Working in insurance, I know many, many people absolutely do a 180 once put on this drug because their memory just goes out entirely, but I think because mine was so great to begin with it just downgraded me to above average instead of photographic.  I used to say, and still do to an extent, I'm not actually smart, I just remember every fact I'm ever exposed to.  That's how I recalled that conversation regarding the bug you're working on with Anthony right now, and it's a real asset when we might have otherwise forgotten something in our playtest.

Sometimes I wonder if I could have an even better memory again if I stop taking the pill, but the thing is, it cut me down from a migraine literally every other week, to maybe one a YEAR.  That's a trade I'll take.

 

39 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, my memory used to be near-photographic too. I read books and remembered just about everything in them. I'd remember page #s of books where I found information at times, too. A lot of factors really get in the way of memory retention. I had few distractions compared to today. My life is pretty much in continual distraction now, so it makes it hard for me to really reflect on anything or even focus on anything. I could easily fix all of this if I stubbornly stopped trying to take on so much, and also if I asserted myself to get more me time domestically. I was much more of a hermit (social hermit) in 2010 and before. Being able to be periodically monastic to focus and reflect on this was huge and something I miss. 

I also repeat myself a lot more now mainly because I don't remember who I've said certain things to. I think I have a capacity of remembering what I have said or not said to a maximum of 100 people. If one isn't among the 100 people I see in person routinely or have known for a long time, then I have hard time remember what conversations have occurred and which haven't. For instance, in about three years I'll probably forget what age you are or that you're a Star Trek fan. But if you had told me this today, and you were one of those 100 people I interact with personally or have known for a long time, I won't forget it. 

Me who has occasional headaches and migraines; I also have a really good memory...

But, I'm still young! 😛  

Guess I'll stick to acetaminophen 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pringles said:

 

Me who has occasional headaches and migraines; I also have a really good memory...

But, I'm still young! 😛  

Guess I'll stick to acetaminophen 😛 

You've never had a migraine until your arm goes numb.  Apparently, that's a legit migraine symptom.  Can happen young too, first time that happened I was still a teenager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

You've never had a migraine until your arm goes numb.  Apparently, that's a legit migraine symptom.  Can happen young too, first time that happened I was still a teenager.

I'm lucky. I get maybe one migraine per 5 years. Maybe 1 headache a year. But I hit my head often on things because I'm so tall. Really hard. Cast iron beams, garage doors, wooden beams, often while moving at a swift pace. The worst was the cast iron beam, running straight up the stairs at full speed. BAM! Couldn't think well for three days and it probably took a week to feel 100%

  • Sad 1
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm lucky. I get maybe one migraine per 5 years. Maybe 1 headache a year. But I hit my head often on things because I'm so tall. Really hard. Cast iron beams, garage doors, wooden beams, often while moving at a swift pace. The worst was the cast iron beam, running straight up the stairs at full speed. BAM! Couldn't think well for three days and it probably took a week to feel 100%

Damn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...