The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #553: Manuel Lujan Jr

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #553: Manuel Lujan Jr  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #553: Manuel Lujan Jr

Manuel Lujan Jr (NM-R) is one of the most consequential Hispanic GOP politicians. He is also a member of the Lujan politician dynasty that includes both Republicans and Democrats. He is most famous for being Bush's Sec of Interior. 

The oil spill in 1989 is the earliest environmental disaster I remember. I was 10 years old and in elementary school. I remember the teacher showing us pictures of birds coated in oil. I remembering see it on TV, people trying quickly to clean the oil out of animals. Dead fish everywhere. It was awful. I remember feeling so bad about the animals, while at the time, not considering how much of that oil was inside of them. It was even worse than I imagine. Total environmental disaster in Alaska. A kind of Katrina for nature. Bush and Lujan came off as doing basically nothing. His 1990 action regarding endangered species was seen as barbaric, partially because the oil spill cleanup was still going on. 

His actions:

Lujan Jr, Manuel 1967 co-founds Republican National Hispanic Assembly
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1978 1st Hispanic GOPer to join Congressional Hispanic Caucus
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1980 incumbent Hispanic US Rep nearly loses seat to challenger Bill Richardson
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1980 Considered for Sec of Interior by Reagan
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1983 Against considered for Sec of Interior by Reagan to replace controversial Watt
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1989 Confirmed Sec of Interior for Bush
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1989 Defends offshore drilling amid criticism of the practice after devestating Exxon Valdez oil spill
Lujan Jr, Manuel 1990 Suggests weakening Endangered Species Act because "not every subspecies needs saving"