The Political Lounge

Potential Trump cabinet picks

Steven Mnuchin won't be happy about this. Billionaire hedge fund manager John Paulson could become Trump's treasury secretary.

The article also mentions former US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, Susquehanna International Group founder Jeff Yass and Key Square Group founder Scott Bessent as potential picks.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-floats-billionaire-paulson-potential-treasury-chief-bloomberg-reports-2024-03-13/

Edited by ConservativeElector2

I can’t wait for the Secretary of Energy Doug Burgum shadow presidency after Trump’s stroke in 2026

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Nothing says draining the swamp like appointing a multibillionaire hedge fund manager to run the treasury lol

Tfw the "Drain the Swamp" crowd, is the swamp.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2024 at 3:10 PM, Rezi said:

I can’t wait for the Secretary of Energy Doug Burgum shadow presidency after Trump’s stroke in 2026

I’d be happy with that. He seemed quite reasonable in the primaries.

On 4/1/2024 at 7:54 PM, WVProgressive said:

Nothing says draining the swamp like appointing a multibillionaire hedge fund manager to run the treasury lol

I mean, they’re electing a multi billionaire as President, so what were they expecting?

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 1:54 AM, WVProgressive said:

8 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I mean, they’re electing a multi billionaire as President, so what were they expecting?

I am fine with that. While I am convinced that there are way too many unelected overzealous bureaucrats who qualify to be ''the swamp'', I think billionaire politicians are fine as long as they do what they're supposed to do. Governing well.

7 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Oam fine with that. While I am convinced that there are way too many unelected overzealous bureaucrats who qualify to be ''the swamp'', I think billionaire politicians are fine as long as they do what they're supposed to do. Governing well.

How many bureaucrats do you know? Do you know the process for joining the Civil or Foreign Service in the United States?   "Unelected overzealous" public servants sacrifice so much to be in Federal, state, or municipal government. They govern well, and due it without any modicum of respect, for less pay and benefits than the private sector. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

How many bureaucrats do you know? Do you know the process for joining the Civil or Foreign Service in the United States?   "Unelected overzealous" public servants sacrifice so much to be in Federal, state, or municipal government. They govern well, and due it without any modicum of respect, for less pay and benefits than the private sector. 

Personally none lol however, think about what happened shortly before the Dobbs ruling. I think that sabotaging and obstructionism from within exists, if the policy overall isn't liked. 

15 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Personally none lol however, think about what happened shortly before the Dobbs ruling. I think that sabotaging and obstructionism from within exists, if the policy overall isn't liked. 

Not how it works, bud. That sort of crap just doesn't happen. If folks disagree, they either flag it publicly for supervisors or leadership,  or they just leave. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Not how it works, bud. That sort of crap just doesn't happen. If folks disagree, they either flag it publicly for supervisors or leadership,  or they just leave. 

As someone who, let’s just say has some knowledge on this front out of potential career aspirations… you are bound to be apolitical in public at least. If you aren’t capable of that, or lack a commitment to serve, you simply aren’t going to be considered. Whistleblowers and a few rabble rousers exist, Snowden can have fun living with Putin, but otherwise, this is generally just political and rhetorical nonsense, particularly pushed by Vivek and Trump who want to dig their claws into our government for nefarious reasons. 

Edited by Pringles
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Right, that's why there's dissent cables. Learning about how much it takes to even try to make it in the foreign service makes it clear that no one's doing it just to meddle from the inside. It takes real patriotism and personal fortitude. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 6:44 AM, ConservativeElector2 said:

I am fine with that. While I am convinced that there are way too many unelected overzealous bureaucrats who qualify to be ''the swamp'', I think billionaire politicians are fine as long as they do what they're supposed to do. Governing well.

And…is that the outcome you are anticipating from a Trump Presidency, Round Two?

Governing well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Based 1

On 4/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, ConservativeElector2 said:

Bureaucrat reporting in.  So, at minimum, you know one! ;c)

• Like 1
  • Based 1