Jump to content
The Political Lounge

A Quick Guide to being a Democrat Lawmaker in Texas (How to shirk your civic duty in 3 easy to follow steps!)


Dobs
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Dobs said:

1. Refuse to do your job (flee the state if necessary)

2. Expose your extreme hypocrisy on Covid measures

3. Collect donations of Dr. Pepper and Salsa care packages as your reward 😎 

 

TX Democrats aren't refusing to do their job,but are actually doing exactly what they are elected to do,stand up for their constituents.Gov.Abbott is attacking peoples right to vote with his vote supression laws and they are fighting back,they are actual heroes.Thank you TX Democrats!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Democrat, I obviously start off supporting what they're doing. You and I have talked about it on Discord so no need to relitigate that part.

The COVID stuff is beyond stupid. I don't know how they could be that dumb. First to not wear any masks on the flight (even if all vaccinated, it's required), then to TAKE A PICTURE of it. DUMB. Then, inevitably, someone (multiple people) gets COVID. Message ruined. Great job TX Dems. You could've done a lot better than this. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rodja said:

TX Democrats aren't refusing to do their job,but are actually doing exactly what they are elected to do,stand up for their constituents.Gov.Abbott is attacking peoples right to vote with his vote supression laws and they are fighting back,they are actual heroes.Thank you TX Democrats!

Then stand and fight! Don't run and hide while exposing massive hypocrisy and imbibing copious amounts of Dr. Pepper.

There has been a large national smear campaign against rather sedate election integrity laws. No one's right to vote is being stolen. The only votes not being taken are by the Texas Legislature because Democratic lawmakers have chosen cowardice over taking their view to the court of public opinion and the floor of the legislature. If Texans don't want these laws, beat them next election- that's how a republic works.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dobs said:

There has been a large national smear campaign against rather sedate election integrity laws. No one's right to vote is being stolen. The only votes not being taken are by the Texas Legislature because Democratic lawmakers have chosen cowardice over taking their view to the court of public opinion and the floor of the legislature. If Texans don't want these laws, beat them next election- that's how a republic works.

The law that was written was obviously partisan to attack Democratic voters. It's no wonder that they're trying to protect them. The original bill that was written stopped Souls to the Polls (voting on Sunday that's prominent in Black churches) - making voting begin after 1 PM. African-Americans vote in huge numbers for Democrats, and this type of thing is an obvious draw for Democratic voters to get to the polls. It was a clear attack on opposition turnout. It also banned drive-thru voting that was popular in heavily Democratic counties. It attacked mail-in voting, which was also predominantly used by Democrats (and older voters). 

The original intent was to stop Democrats from getting to the polls. They amended some of the more egregious examples (like ending Souls to the Polls), but I think it is curious that everything related to "election integrity" seems to be a weapon used to bludgeon Democratic voters with. The changes don't convince me the original intent is gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Then stand and fight! Don't run and hide while exposing massive hypocrisy and imbibing copious amounts of Dr. Pepper.

There has been a large national smear campaign against rather sedate election integrity laws. No one's right to vote is being stolen. The only votes not being taken are by the Texas Legislature because Democratic lawmakers have chosen cowardice over taking their view to the court of public opinion and the floor of the legislature. If Texans don't want these laws, beat them next election- that's how a republic works.

 

1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Yep, staying in the state would have been a good start 😉 But you're right taking such a picture is beyond stupid. 

If they stayed,they would give Abbot the quorum and the shameful legislation would be passed by Republican majority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rodja said:

 

If they stayed,they would give Abbot the quorum and the shameful legislation would be passed by Republican majority.

Oh no! Representative Democracy!

3 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Would you say the same to Oregon Republicans? Seems like they're making it a yearly thing now.

https://ballotpedia.org/Noteworthy_state_legislative_walkouts

Yes

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

Why are you sad @Dobs? You were condemning shirking civic duty.

I was sad and then you were very mean to me 😔 

All jokes aside, I do condemn those folks. That’s just not what I decided to satirize right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hestia said:

The law that was written was obviously partisan to attack Democratic voters. It's no wonder that they're trying to protect them. The original bill that was written stopped Souls to the Polls (voting on Sunday that's prominent in Black churches) - making voting begin after 1 PM. African-Americans vote in huge numbers for Democrats, and this type of thing is an obvious draw for Democratic voters to get to the polls. It was a clear attack on opposition turnout. It also banned drive-thru voting that was popular in heavily Democratic counties. It attacked mail-in voting, which was also predominantly used by Democrats (and older voters). 

The original intent was to stop Democrats from getting to the polls. They amended some of the more egregious examples (like ending Souls to the Polls), but I think it is curious that everything related to "election integrity" seems to be a weapon used to bludgeon Democratic voters with. The changes don't convince me the original intent is gone. 

Intent aside, intent doesn’t determine law- laws and their words do. I oppose ending souls to the polls. Just as the democrats should have stood and fought in the court of public opinion- so should Texas Republicans appeal to religious black voters. But as you note, said provision is gone and whether or not the folks who are passing the law want it or not- it won’t be in the law.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dobs said:

Intent aside, intent doesn’t determine law- laws and their words do. I oppose ending souls to the polls. Just as the democrats should have stood and fought in the court of public opinion- so should Texas Republicans appeal to religious black voters. But as you note, said provision is gone and whether or not the folks who are passing the law want it or not- it won’t be in the law.

Intent isn't so easily put aside. It colors everything they've done - all their actions. They don't actually care about voting integrity. They care about winning and making sure Democrats don't vote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Would you say the same to Oregon Republicans? Seems like they're making it a yearly thing now.

https://ballotpedia.org/Noteworthy_state_legislative_walkouts

Probably even yes and I knew already that Republicans did the same 😛 I am against such sensationalist practices altogether. That's not how good politics work. Same goes for Republican attempts to pack state Supreme Courts, which I criticize as well.

Furthermore I think only the number of present legislators should count in a vote. If someone neglects his duty and doesn't show up to work so be it. The legislative institution should still be able to work properly.

And regarding taking a picture, I should add it's just stupid do it during a pandemic while not following any rules. Otherwise it's legitimate of course to take pictures.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Intent isn't so easily put aside. It colors everything they've done - all their actions. They don't actually care about voting integrity. They care about winning and making sure Democrats don't vote. 

This is fine to morally criticize them. But democrats didn’t run because they don’t want to be dragged to hell by the TXGOP’s perceived immoral aura. They ran because they don’t want to pass the law.

And the words of the law is worth millions more than the intent. Because the law itself is what will effect real people and real elections- no good judge will consider abstract intentions when interpreting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dobs said:

1. Refuse to do your job (flee the state if necessary)

2. Expose your extreme hypocrisy on Covid measures

3. Collect donations of Dr. Pepper and Salsa care packages as your reward 😎 

 

2) Yeah, clearly hypocrisy.

3) What's with Dr. Pepper and Salsa?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patine said:

But this phrase has been defining more and more defining U.S. politics by both major parties, and certainly it's, "news," media (quotation marks used advisedly). These sensationalist, irresponsible, loudmouthed, thoughtless, vapid, incendiary, and myth-promoting jokers - again, growingly of both parties - need to be cast to wayside to give way to more serious, competent, and mature political leaders.

How do you fit seven adjectives into one clause?

Take grammar lessons from Patine!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patine said:

 

 

 

Besides, this is the far more interesting news out of Texas, right now, as I see it!

Videos Show Texas Meteor Streaking Through the Night Sky: 'Shook Our Entire House' (msn.com)

It's the giant meteor! You know, the one that had 13% support from Americans. People are so mad at the duopoly that the giant meteor has come to save them.

Jokes aside. It is more of a pleasant read than political stuff.

Edited by Timur
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...