The Political Lounge

(College Athletics) Oklahoma and Texas signal intent to leave Big 12

Hestia

I don't know if anyone's a college sports fan out there, but my childhood team (as a result of my dad's alma mater) has been Iowa State. Just as we're getting good, we're left scrambling because Oklahoma and Texas are set to leave our conference 😞 Hopefully we can find a spot somewhere 😛

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31889044/texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-tell-big-12-not-renew-grant-media-rights

• Like 2

Just now, Patine said:

I had a brief interest in secondary school with the collegiate level sports tier, but collegiate level sports in Canada have a completely different league, different rules, and different conventions in their entirety than in the U.S. (and have ice hockey up with gridiron football instead of basketball in importance, though basketball may be getting a upsurge here because of the success of the Raptors). So, I must confess to not understanding the significance or impact of this, exactly.

Basically, if you're in a Power 5 conference you get more money and status than any other teams. Current P5 conferences are the Big 10, SEC, PAC 12, ACC and the Big 12. Oklahoma and Texas leaving could blow up the Big 12 (largely Midwestern universities) and leave some out of Power 5 conferences. This could lose them tens of millions of dollars a year and mean they won't be important in the future.

• Thanks 1

I miss the old days of the big 12 before the relocation. I think it's better for college sports to have conferences of closer to 12 than these rumors of super conferences. For the PAC-12 if they expanded to 16 to match the SEC they'd be getting in teams that wouldn't really match the overall competitiveness of the addition to the SEC, and even the ACC(and it'd likely force Notre Dame to join the ACC officially in all things which is sad imo)

• Like 1

This is an interesting move (especially by Texas) that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. They are in the middle of a rebuild (joining a tougher conference won't help out there) with their own television network (the gained revenue might not be a whole lot different, especially if they have to give up exclusive tv rights).

As for Oklahoma, they have an easy path to competing for the playoff every year right now. Why give that up even if you can bring in more money? (though the money is much more of a factor for them than Texas)

9 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

This is an interesting move (especially by Texas) that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. They are in the middle of a rebuild (joining a tougher conference won't help out there) with their own television network (the gained revenue might not be a whole lot different, especially if they have to give up exclusive tv rights).

As for Oklahoma, they have an easy path to competing for the playoff every year right now. Why give that up even if you can bring in more money? (though the money is much more of a factor for them than Texas)

Agreed. It seems right now the Big 12 is going to war with ESPN, which will be the most insightful thing for the future of sports and conference realignment. 

15 hours ago, Hestia said:

Agreed. It seems right now the Big 12 is going to war with ESPN, which will be the most insightful thing for the future of sports and conference realignment. 

I hope they’re successful. If not, a lot of college football tradition is going to be destroyed in the process of these realignments

• Like 1