Jump to content
The Political Lounge

English Premier League


jnewt
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I've always loved watching the World Cup. So I basically get into soccer once every four years (If Olympic soccer didn't have age limits I'd probably be more interested right now). With the EPL season starting in a few weeks, I'm wondering which club forum members root for? I'd like to get more into soccer, but MLS is such low quality and I have no connections to any EPL club. The only thing I can think of is that John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox, also owns Liverpool. However, I don't like John Henry whatsoever, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to root for Liverpool. Anybody have any good reasons I should root for a specific EPL club?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I've always loved watching the World Cup. So I basically get into soccer once every four years (If Olympic soccer didn't have age limits I'd probably be more interested right now). With the EPL season starting in a few weeks, I'm wondering which club forum members root for? I'd like to get more into soccer, but MLS is such low quality and I have no connections to any EPL club. The only thing I can think of is that John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox, also owns Liverpool. However, I don't like John Henry whatsoever, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to root for Liverpool. Anybody have any good reasons I should root for a specific EPL club?

I'm in the same boat as you 😄 I like watching the World Cup, and I paid attention to Euro 2020 earlier this month. I pay attention to the Olympic soccer in passing, but I don't really pay that close of attention to it (i.e watch, I like to look at the scores). I don't watch or pay attention to EPL at all, so I guess this isn't really a helpful comment, but if I do, I usually cheer for Chelsea or Aston Villa. No real reason besides I used to play one of those sports heads soccer games and I usually played Chelsea 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Hestia said:

I'm in the same boat as you 😄 I like watching the World Cup, and I paid attention to Euro 2020 earlier this month. I pay attention to the Olympic soccer in passing, but I don't really pay that close of attention to it (i.e watch, I like to look at the scores). I don't watch or pay attention to EPL at all, so I guess this isn't really a helpful comment, but if I do, I usually cheer for Chelsea or Aston Villa. No real reason besides I used to play one of those sports heads soccer games and I usually played Chelsea 😄 

Yea, I actually watched a few Euro 2020 matches as well. I really wish the U.S. was better at developing soccer talent though because I actually enjoy it when I watch it, I just have no connections. If the New England Revolution had internationally elite players or the USMNT were more competitive, I'd watch a lot more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jnewt said:

Yea, I actually watched a few Euro 2020 matches as well. I really wish the U.S. was better at developing soccer talent though because I actually enjoy it when I watch it, I just have no connections. If the New England Revolution had internationally elite players or the USMNT were more competitive, I'd watch a lot more.

Same. I "cheer" for the Kansas City team but I don't pay attention to it at all. I'll cheer for the US when the World Cup comes around. I'll keep somewhat attention to qualifying for the world cup, and have looked a bit at the Gold Cup, since we just made the final 4 there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Same. I "cheer" for the Kansas City team but I don't pay attention to it at all. I'll cheer for the US when the World Cup comes around. I'll keep somewhat attention to qualifying for the world cup, and have looked a bit at the Gold Cup, since we just made the final 4 there. 

I might try to watch their next match then. I just saw that they're playing Qatar. I had to look it up to see why Qatar was even in the tournament haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

I might try to watch their next match then. I just saw that they're playing Qatar. I had to look it up to see why Qatar was even in the tournament haha

Yeah haha I had to as well. Surprised Qatar is doing that well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a huge soccer fan.

I usually tend to support smaller teams in various leagues. From the upcoming PL season I find these teams interesting: Brentford, Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Leeds United, Leicester City, Norwich City, Southampton, Watford.

Leeds is my favorite out of these because I remember them being in the top flight more than fifteen years ago. I cheered them on already back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...