The Political Lounge

English Premier League

jnewt

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I've always loved watching the World Cup. So I basically get into soccer once every four years (If Olympic soccer didn't have age limits I'd probably be more interested right now). With the EPL season starting in a few weeks, I'm wondering which club forum members root for? I'd like to get more into soccer, but MLS is such low quality and I have no connections to any EPL club. The only thing I can think of is that John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox, also owns Liverpool. However, I don't like John Henry whatsoever, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to root for Liverpool. Anybody have any good reasons I should root for a specific EPL club?

3 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I've always loved watching the World Cup. So I basically get into soccer once every four years (If Olympic soccer didn't have age limits I'd probably be more interested right now). With the EPL season starting in a few weeks, I'm wondering which club forum members root for? I'd like to get more into soccer, but MLS is such low quality and I have no connections to any EPL club. The only thing I can think of is that John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox, also owns Liverpool. However, I don't like John Henry whatsoever, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to root for Liverpool. Anybody have any good reasons I should root for a specific EPL club?

I'm in the same boat as you 😄 I like watching the World Cup, and I paid attention to Euro 2020 earlier this month. I pay attention to the Olympic soccer in passing, but I don't really pay that close of attention to it (i.e watch, I like to look at the scores). I don't watch or pay attention to EPL at all, so I guess this isn't really a helpful comment, but if I do, I usually cheer for Chelsea or Aston Villa. No real reason besides I used to play one of those sports heads soccer games and I usually played Chelsea 😄 

17 minutes ago, Hestia said:

I'm in the same boat as you 😄 I like watching the World Cup, and I paid attention to Euro 2020 earlier this month. I pay attention to the Olympic soccer in passing, but I don't really pay that close of attention to it (i.e watch, I like to look at the scores). I don't watch or pay attention to EPL at all, so I guess this isn't really a helpful comment, but if I do, I usually cheer for Chelsea or Aston Villa. No real reason besides I used to play one of those sports heads soccer games and I usually played Chelsea 😄 

Yea, I actually watched a few Euro 2020 matches as well. I really wish the U.S. was better at developing soccer talent though because I actually enjoy it when I watch it, I just have no connections. If the New England Revolution had internationally elite players or the USMNT were more competitive, I'd watch a lot more.

Just now, jnewt said:

Yea, I actually watched a few Euro 2020 matches as well. I really wish the U.S. was better at developing soccer talent though because I actually enjoy it when I watch it, I just have no connections. If the New England Revolution had internationally elite players or the USMNT were more competitive, I'd watch a lot more.

Same. I "cheer" for the Kansas City team but I don't pay attention to it at all. I'll cheer for the US when the World Cup comes around. I'll keep somewhat attention to qualifying for the world cup, and have looked a bit at the Gold Cup, since we just made the final 4 there. 

21 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Same. I "cheer" for the Kansas City team but I don't pay attention to it at all. I'll cheer for the US when the World Cup comes around. I'll keep somewhat attention to qualifying for the world cup, and have looked a bit at the Gold Cup, since we just made the final 4 there. 

I might try to watch their next match then. I just saw that they're playing Qatar. I had to look it up to see why Qatar was even in the tournament haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

I might try to watch their next match then. I just saw that they're playing Qatar. I had to look it up to see why Qatar was even in the tournament haha

Yeah haha I had to as well. Surprised Qatar is doing that well

I am a huge soccer fan.

I usually tend to support smaller teams in various leagues. From the upcoming PL season I find these teams interesting: Brentford, Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Leeds United, Leicester City, Norwich City, Southampton, Watford.

Leeds is my favorite out of these because I remember them being in the top flight more than fifteen years ago. I cheered them on already back then.