The Political Lounge

AMPU Generated Draft

vcczar

@DakotaHale here's an example of a full list without me selecting only the interesting names:

Brian Sanford
Ernest McCarthy
Zachary Eriksson
Milledge Chandler
Secular Lemke
Cameron Chafee
Jack Domenici
Asle King
Darwin Pompeo
Gamaliel Stuart
Purgatory Rutledge
Buckner Cotton
Lindley Stephens
Asahel Mayfield
Shadrach Gansevoort
Johnny Woodcock
Beau Planck
Butch Warfield
Aaron Hull
Rawlins Poland
Female Given Surname
Belva Boomer
Elza Wilkinson
Gale Young
Heaven Ginsburg
Tyre Greene
Becca Fitzsimons
Martha Stearns
Elaine Haig
Madge Van Zandt
Guadalupe Keating
Benedicta Duane
Cassiopeia Heitkamp
Lucretia Nell
Aurora Dorsey
Kirsten Nelson
Haley Rollins
Kamala Bassett
Helena Teague
Connie Magoffin
Mary Clay

Today's generate draft. This time, let's say it's a presidential primary: 

Who do you vote for, assuming they are of your ideology? Note: I only pick the interesting names for the drafts. 90% of them are normal:

• Gov. Hugh Hurlbutt (WA) - transportation expertise, reformist, incoherent, frail, Hispanic
  • Gov. Jocko Blunderlove (DE) - energy expertise, activist, controversial, likable, non-religious
  • Sen. William al-Khattab (MD) - science expertise, civil rights, controversial, Asian, tribal religion
  • Sec of Agric. Mary Ann Warcloud (AL) - agriculture expertise, theocrat, leadership, hale, native american

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Patine @Hestia @WVProgressive @Rezi @Rodja @Cal @Dobs @DakotaHale @Zenobiyl

I ran the generator tonight, some of my favorites:

Pepe Chicovsky, a white, frail Mormon conservative reformist kingmaker from Massachusetts.

Mo Duop, a pliable Hispanic Jew egghead progressive nationalist from Delaware.

Abracadabra Griswold, a black liberal Civil Rights debater from Hawaii.

Philetus Hill, a media-savvy, likeable, lowbrow traditionalist non-religious theocrat from New Hampshire.

Albinus Sawyer, a controversial but likeable Native-American Jew living in New York.

Gouverneur Yarborough, a likeable but pliable liberal expansionist LGBT resident of Hawaii.

Kai Richardson, a disharmonious progressive rightwing-activist Hispanic legislator from Vermont.

Grover Donahue, a foreign-born black nationalist egghead in Alaska.

Buffalo Gonzales, an uncharismatic black pacifist with integrity in Idaho.

Sacagawea Bond, a female Traditionalist technology-buff puritan reformist Hispanic Buddhist woman in California.

That's all from a single generation of 20 names -- 10 of them are pretty crazy, especially from the perspective of modern day (given that these are the politicians who would pop up between roughly 2020 through 2100).  I really get a kick out of how hilarious some of these generations are, but I am worried that maybe too many of them are hilarious.  Should be closer to 1-2 crazy names per generated draft, not 50%.  Admittedly, not entirely sure how to fix that.

Second generation includes:
Eggwigg Mountbatten
Curly Joe Maxwell
Asahel (asshole?) Darwin
Eleutheros Manning
Junot Campbell
Eben Wadsworth
Billiam Cabell
Narcissa Leahy
Juuls O'Bannon
Lizby Ann Horner
Saraojini Sturges
Yuko Chenoweth
Mushu Meskill

Even ignoring funny personality and race mismatches, that's 13 crazy names in a list of 20.  

Third generation:
Seldon
Gargamel
Amadeus
Lancelot
Rawghlie
Orestes
Homer
Elza

That's 8 crazy first names out of 20, without even checking for race.  And a let a few slide, such as Cecil, Dick, and Cleo.

Maybe a weighted system where more common modern names are more likely to appear?

13 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Billiam Cabell

13 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Juuls O'Bannon

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Infant Gregg

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Dixy Fox

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Penguin McLean

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Lady Cummings

These are just memes at this point.

• Like 1

@vcczar

Perhaps one solution would be to made all names era-limited. For example, John and Smith are available for all eras, but Gouvernor is only available in early US history. Also, tying names to ethnicity and ensuring that most candidates are white men will keep names more in line with American history, as sad as that is. 

1 minute ago, Cal said:

@vcczar

Perhaps one solution would be to made all names era-limited. For example, John and Smith are available for all eras, but Gouvernor is only available in early US history. Also, tying names to ethnicity and ensuring that most candidates are white men will keep names more in line with American history, as sad as that is. 

I was initially doing that, but considering that I have over 6,000 names, I haven't the time to do that. I only got so far as to tag surnames "Spanish," "French," "Portuguese," and determine which names were "male" and "female" (allowing doubles for names that are unisex. I'm handling about 95% of the creation of this game. You're free to handle the task if it is a priority for you. I'm actually okay with the outdated names. It's like there ends up being a renaissance for archaic names in the future. I'd personally rather play as Philemon Frothingham or Christian al-Khattab than John Smith or Winona Clark. We don't know what kinds of names people will have in 2075 either. Anyway, as said, if you think it's a priority then you can handle it. I don't think I'll have time to do it until after the game is out. It's sort of like #72 on my priority list. Lots of other higher priority things, 95% which I'm doing solo.

I also need to take a break from this game at some point. This isn't my only project. I'm undermining any chance at tenure by not writing. The creation of this game has been a huge sacrifice. I can't think of any other word. I have been a slave to this project for three years. It will be worth it once I can play it, but until I can play it, it's more of a chore 70% of the time, although about 30% of the time I wouldn't want to do anything else. If the game doesn't succeed (I'm sure it will though), I'll have wasted three years chained to a tomb. As such, I'd appreciate if you take on this chore if you think it is important to your playing experience. The generated names are going to be used primarily for gameplay beyond the historical timeline -- 2024-2099. 

11 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Third generation:
Seldon
Gargamel
Amadeus
Lancelot
Rawghlie
Orestes
Homer
Elza

That's 8 crazy first names out of 20, without even checking for race.  And a let a few slide, such as Cecil, Dick, and Cleo.

Maybe a weighted system where more common modern names are more likely to appear?

See my response to Caleb above. However, I need you to focus on the Rules first, if you want to take on the task. This XML editor thing I have to do now is pure drudgery. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

See my response to Caleb above. However, I need you to focus on the Rules first, if you want to take on the task. This XML editor thing I have to do now is pure drudgery. 

Totally understand.  I don't know how to automate fixing it, but I'm sure I can eventually figure it out after the rules are done.

Maybe just adding a "weird name" marker (which wouldn't be visible to the player) and ensuring weird names show up at a rate of 1% or less.  I can try to do that after I finish the rules.

How large do you envision the "future era" draft classes being?  I know the current generator creates 20 names, is that the number you're targeting at this time?

@vcczar I know you trimmed down the repetitious historical surnames, so we wouldn't have too many Roosevelts and Kennedys, etc.  Did you do the same with repetitious first names?  That might explain why I've never seen a John, etc, in my simulations and yet have encountered three or four Gargamels.  If that's the case, I think I can fix it pretty easily.

9 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Totally understand.  I don't know how to automate fixing it, but I'm sure I can eventually figure it out after the rules are done.

Maybe just adding a "weird name" marker (which wouldn't be visible to the player) and ensuring weird names show up at a rate of 1% or less.  I can try to do that after I finish the rules.

How large do you envision the "future era" draft classes being?  I know the current generator creates 20 names, is that the number you're targeting at this time?

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar I know you trimmed down the repetitious historical surnames, so we wouldn't have too many Roosevelts and Kennedys, etc.  Did you do the same with repetitious first names?  That might explain why I've never seen a John, etc, in my simulations and yet have encountered three or four Gargamels.  If that's the case, I think I can fix it pretty easily.

There's like 10 Johns for every Gargamel. One thing you could do is add 20 more Johns, Steves, and whatever common names you can think of and add 20 more Smiths, Roberts, and other common surnames. That would dilute the weird names. It would also be quicker than tagging names. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

There's like 10 Johns for every Gargamel. One thing you could do is add 20 more Johns, Steves, and whatever common names you can think of and add 20 more Smiths, Roberts, and other common surnames. That would dilute the weird names. It would also be quicker than tagging names. 

True!  I'll look into that after the rule update is done

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

True!  I'll look into that after the rule update is done

Yeah, I'm thinking:

• find the 10 to 20 most common male given names in the US. And paste these names in 20x each.
  • find the 10 to 20 most common female given names in the US. And paste these names in 20x each.
  • find the 10 to 20 most common surnames in the US. And paste these names in 20x each. 

@MrPotatoTed I added 200 more male names, female names, and about 500 surnames or more -- all top 20 names in the US for each category. This is my first generated draft. If it still seems problematic, just keep adding more common names:

Male Given Surname
Thompson Jay
Rutherford Carter
Huge Bloom
Robert Rayner
Nero Walton
Edmond Knight
Chris Dixon II
Ernest Schneider
Jared Thomas
Emiliano Pettus
Pat Jenkins
Lane Taylor
Rollin Lehman
Oran Lamont
Cary Parker
Justin Robertson
Infant Silsbee
Pat McPherson
Paul Bork
Buell Pressler
Female Given Surname
Vicky Paca
Myra Brown
Patricia Jackson
Patricia Hayes
Kathryn Clark
Harriet McConville
Avril White
Lucretia Ferry
Mimi Deborah
Jessica Sawyer
Vickie Froth
Penny Sergeant
Susana Hiester
Esperanza Tappan
Mary Finnbogadottir
Celeste Malone
Sophonisba Dorr
Nancy Duff
Michelle Maclay
Linda Johnson

@vcczarI added roughly 300 more first and last names, using TV show characters, the most popular 2020 baby names list, and my own high school yearbook.

Still getting more oddities than I'd expect.  My new favorite was "Santa Crapper."  I also got Pa Butz, Dick Tan, and Awful Grout.

But overall, it's moving in the right direction.

Male Given Surname
Tim Blair
Rick Obrego
Chester Leroy
Huey Conger
Darren Bond
Lewis Prouty
Joseph Pahlavi
Jackson Allard
Elijah Cordle
Amasa Owen
Ken Sandhands
Mahlon Kramer
Todd Glickman
Knute Dunn
Friedrich Liu
Sitting Sensenbrenner
Lewis Rodriguez
Khalid Pratsch
Martin Bernard
Hugh McEnery
Female Given Surname
Megahn Swayne
Keri Comins
Elvira Williams
Burnita Jones
Susan Caffery
Dakota Barlow
Ann Stafford
Mary Lake
Tina Buehler
Terese Haines
Lynn Briggs
Aaliyah Allen
Temperance Biggs
Trinity Blumenthal
Elizabeth Kirkpatrick
Evelyn Roots
Riley Powell
Rosa Horgan
Trinity Copeland
Edith Heyward
Edited by MrPotatoTed

@MrPotatoTed I added a few more names too. It's getting more normal. Only 2, arguably 4, unusual names in this 50 person draft.: 

Male Given Surname
Mason Richards
Pauly Moulton
Satyajit Knowles
Ray Martin
Judah Hand
Sean Commodore
Mike Tan
Abbott Lewis
Jacky White
Alex Hoch
Thurlow Sadler