The Political Lounge

Ideology Poll 2

vcczar

Ideology Poll 2  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following areas need to see an increase in Federal Spending

• Defense budget and Nat security
    • Foreign aid
    • Infrastructure
    • Domestic government programs (health, social security, etc)
    • Subsidies to businesses
    • Government upkeep
    • Science and technology
    • None. Reduce spending in all areas.
  2. 2. How should the above be funded?

• I selected none from the above.
    • Raise taxes on all
    • Raise taxes on wealthier Americans
    • Create new kinds of taxation
    • Increase sales tax
    • Fundraise
    • Try and force other countries to pay for it.
    • Other
  3. 3. Which is the priority for you if two candidates are similar in everything except in one of the areas listed below.

• A fiscally conservative president
    • A fiscally liberal president
    • A socially and culturally conservative president
    • A socially and culturally liberal president
    • A nationalist president
    • An internationalist president
    • A pro-war president
    • A pro-peace president
  4. 4. Regardless of electability which party is probably on the right side of history (will be shown to have had the best ideas 100 years down the road)

5. 5. What is worse?

• A Biden 2nd term
    • A Trump 2nd term
    • A DeSantis presidency
    • A Harris presidency

My 'Other' for #2 is "Fund the above programs/areas by reducing funding for other programs/areas."

Edited by WVProgressive
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Democrats owned slaves, started the Klan, orchestrated the trail of tears, put Japanese in internment camps, and were the main proponents of segregation and Jim Crow, etc.

I would agree that the party isn't as morally bad as they were in the past, but they can't claim to be on the right side of history ever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Democrats owned slaves, started the Klan, orchestrated the trail of tears, put Japanese in internment camps, and were the main proponents of segregation and Jim Crow, etc.

I would agree that the party isn't as morally bad as they were in the past, but they can't claim to be on the right side of history ever.

I mean from 2021 on. It’s harder to pick a party under the older systems. To me, with some notable exceptions, the progressive ideology (of all parties) has been on the right side of history. Progressives were sadly some of those that pushed for eugenics and prohibition. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I mean from 2021 on. It’s harder to pick a party under the older systems. To me, with some notable exceptions, the progressive ideology (of all parties) has been on the right side of history. Progressives were sadly some of those that pushed for eugenics and prohibition. 

Fair enough. In that case I think they could be making a decent argument from 1964-onwards, but if you include everything before that i would say they’re automatically disqualified. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I’m curious about these “new kinds of taxation”, I’m assuming wealth tax?

Only new tax I support is a nice weed tax accompanied by it's full legalization of course. 😛 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I’m curious about these “new kinds of taxation”, I’m assuming wealth tax?

I'd say something like an excess tax. Like taxation on things that no one really needs. Say, like a single-person household buying a 3rd or 4th vehicle for non-work purposes. Taxes that can be avoided but if you have the money to be eligible for the taxation then it is probably just going to be pocket change for you to pay it. I'd personally have such taxation tied specifically to what it is going to pay and set to expire once what it is paying to do is paid. To give some incentive or thanks, I'd probably name aspects of the effort after whomever among the taxpayers pays the most tax--maybe top 10 tax payers toward the project. Just so they get some credit for their economic, patriotic, sacrifice. I think if progressives like me want to raise taxes we need to at least compensate those most affected by taxation with some recognition. It might diffuse opposition a little bit.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Once again, @Pringles, another disturbingly and inappropriately off-cue laugh emote. If my post above amuses you to laughter, I must question your very humanity. Given the subject matter you seem to find levity in there, I must call laughing at it nothing short of SICK!

You're right.

I'm a 🐸

• Haha 2

I ticked Democrats because they offer ideas (some of them good), while most of the Republican Party doesn't seem to offer any ideas other than Trumpism (not a good idea). I dislike the ideas of the Green Party, and some Libertarian ideas are really wacky (children can buy drugs, opposition to drivers' licenses, taxation is theft).

Edited by Timur

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't think @vcczar is adding any more available answers. 😞

Because I want to see what people's preferences are if those are the options. Sometimes I don't like to keep things open-ended because too many people might pick the open-ended answer. Pretend like it's a restaurant that your friends or family have taken you to, and the menu has a finite number of choices. Do you complain to the restaurant that they should have alternative A, alternative B, etc? Generally, one picks whatever the best option on the menu is, even if they prefer to eat manatee. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Because I want to see what people's preferences are if those are the options. Sometimes I don't like to keep things open-ended because too many people might pick the open-ended answer. Pretend like it's a restaurant that your friends or family have taken you to, and the menu has a finite number of choices. Do you complain to the restaurant that they should have alternative A, alternative B, etc? Generally, one picks whatever the best option on the menu is, even if they prefer to eat manatee. 

It's like demanding McDonalds in a 5 star Gordon Ramsay Hells Kitchen restaurant. 😛

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I disagree with the implication you were trying to get at about @MrPotatoTed your last sentence was not well known history.

Speak softly and carry a big stick is one of the greatest quotes of all time. And it's a good life lesson as well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

No, it isn't at all. But since you have shown to lack all perspective and concept of tack and appropriateness, your analogy can be expected to be utterly thoughtless and nothing but incendiary baiting.

@DakotaHale, are you really sure it's impossible to add seeing emotes of someone on one's ignore list to the settings? That would solve the issue of this troll - who still deserves the label - by disabling his childish emote guerilla warfare.

Emote Guerrilla Warfare. I like this name. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

No, it isn't at all. But since you have shown to lack all perspective and concept of tack and appropriateness, your analogy can be expected to be utterly thoughtless and nothing but incendiary baiting.

@DakotaHale, are you really sure it's impossible to add seeing emotes of someone on one's ignore list to the settings? That would solve the issue of this troll - who still deserves the label - by disabling his childish emote guerilla warfare.

Looked under the hood for a quick second. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible. 

36 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

What a boring take.  

TR was more nuanced, and so is the rest of the world, so try to keep up.

He didn’t say “carry a big stick.”  

He said “SPEAK SOFTLY and carry a big stick.”

What was he talking about?  Well, we actually don’t have to guess.  He said more things too!  And he explained there were five components to this:

1) Yes, the big stick.  In this case, it meant having a powerful Navy — because without it, we’d continue to be abused by the nations who did have it, as we had been for more than a century before he said these words. Other nations would never take us seriously if they could swat us like a fly.  That’s indisputable, as the full 120 years or so prior to that had proven.  So, yes, big stick.

2) Act justly to other nations — to actually NOT be the bully that you describe.  So, already, your nonsense is falling apart.

3) Never to bluff.  Again, this is solid advice anywhere.  I use it in my own parenting — if I say I’m going to do something, then I do something.  And if I say the consequence for XYZ is the following, then guess what the consequence is if my daughter does XYZ.  You have to be a man of your word, in good times and in bad, or your word is meaningless and so are your negotiations.

4) To strike only when prepared to strike hard.  No half measures — do it or don’t.  Don’t pick a fight you’re not willing to actually fight...or, in more common language today, “choose your battles.”  

5) Allow your opponent to save face in defeat.  Don’t force someone to feel like they have to fight to the death — accept their surrender with grace, and move on.  

Have there been times that other Presidents have not perfectly followed these five tenants of “Speak softly and carry a big stick”?  Of course.  But that’s not Teddy’s fault.

Damn, what a load of based takes today. GIVE EM HELL TEDDY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

As another good example of this, @vcczar, Fascism made it's official debut in any sort of politics when Benito Mussolini ran the newly-formed National Fascist Union in the Italian Parliamentary election for the first time in 1921. Do you see the issue with predicting what people will be saying about the four listed parties in 100 years?

It's a prediction. For fun. You seem to be making this into an imaginary moral crusade. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

It's not a matter of morality in this case. It may surprise you that not everything I take issue with is. 🤨

Well, it's hard to tell. Seems like 9 out of 10 things sets you off, which is what makes @Eugene's video of "you" seem somewhat accurate. Although, we don't know the real you. You might be much more restrained and tolerant of differing opinions, enjoyments, preferences in person. 

• Like 2