The Political Lounge

DeSantis

vcczar

A B-grade poll came out showing Crist ahead of DeSantis in the FL gov election poll. I’m a little wary of a B-grade poll, but it does bring up the chance that COVID could help sink DeSantis as it did help sink Trump. 

If this happens, does DeSantis still attempt a run for president? Santorum did well in 2012 despite having been a losing incumbent Senator. 

I think if DeSantis loses then Trump definitely runs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

A B-grade poll came out showing Crist ahead of DeSantis in the FL gov election poll. I’m a little wary of a B-grade poll, but it does bring up the chance that COVID could help sink DeSantis as it did help sink Trump. 

If this happens, does DeSantis still attempt a run for president? Santorum did well in 2012 despite having been a losing incumbent Senator. 

I think if DeSantis loses then Trump definitely runs. 

I never put any faith or interest in a single poll -- when it becomes a trend, then I take notice.  (Though that's not flawless either, as pollsters can be unintentionally influenced by previous polls, skewing results).

But to answer your question -- if DeSantis is defeated, does he run for President.  Well, let me start with my 100% confidence that if Trump is still capable of making his own decisions (not incapacitated/dead/in prison), then Trump absolutely runs.  He's not capable of not running.  And if Trump runs, I don't think there's room for DeSantis in the race.  He'd be better off waiting as Trump's loyal lackey -- if Trump somehow wins, DeSantis is guaranteed to get a top cabinet position.  And if Trump loses, THEN DeSantis gets his opportunity as Trump 2.0.

If Trump is incapacitated/dead/in prison, then DeSantis definitely runs regardless of whether he lost the prior election.

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

DeSantis would likely still run but his status would be diminished.

Though considering recent history in Florida polling, I’d say this poll is likely skewed D.

I don't trust the poll either. I'm using it to bring up the possibility that DeSantis could lose. Pundits are arguing that DeSantis's response to Covid is hurting his approval. However, I think just about every incumbent governor--Dem or Rep--is hurt by Covid because no governor can really manage it well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Sincere question, as I’m not closely paying attention yet.

My understanding of Desantis so far is “Trump Loyalist.”

Are there matters in which DeSantis is either better or worse than Trump?  Or is it roughly equal?

DeSantis rides the fence pretty well I think in terms of not being an absolute dolt when it comes to Trump. He is aided by the fact that Trump carried his state and his hand was not forced into pulling a Brian Kemp or Doug Ducey. 

Personally, I see him as an opportunist. He’ll only support Trump so far as can be digested by the American mainstream. He is talking very little about Trump or the election these days and a lot about Biden’s shortcomings- a clear attempt to shift into 2024 mode with the intention of capturing the White House in his own right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Sincere question, as I’m not closely paying attention yet.

My understanding of Desantis so far is “Trump Loyalist.”

Are there matters in which DeSantis is either better or worse than Trump?  Or is it roughly equal?

I wouldn't lump him into that category. He did position himself close to Trump, but that was likely due to political reasons. Right now, he would fit more into the category of anti-lockdown, anti-Fauci, and anti-Biden (which as Dobs pointed out has been his focus, likely pointing towards his desire to lead the ticket in 2024).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I wouldn't lump him into that category. He did position himself close to Trump, but that was likely due to political reasons. Right now, he would fit more into the category of anti-lockdown, anti-Fauci, and anti-Biden (which as Dobs pointed out has been his focus, likely pointing towards his desire to lead the ticket in 2024).

Interesting.  To me, those positions are “Trump loyalist.”

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Interesting.  To me, those positions are “Trump loyalist.”

Trump is certainly anti-establishment, but he does not exclusively own that category (DeSantis does have some overlap with him there but not exclusively).

The other two are not Trump loyalist positions. DeSantis was anti-lockdown much sooner than Trump (who endorsed restrictions for a while). Trump was also responsible for Fauci giving the influence he had (maybe the biggest failure of his 4 years). Trump didn’t turn against him until very late.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Trump is certainly anti-establishment, but he does not exclusively own that category (DeSantis does have some overlap with him there but not exclusively).

The other two are not Trump loyalist positions. DeSantis was anti-lockdown much sooner than Trump (who endorsed restrictions for a while). Trump was also responsible for Fauci giving the influence he had (maybe the biggest failure of his 4 years). Trump didn’t turn against him until very late.

Interesting.  From my perspective, Trump was against doing almost anything about covid — he was especially against lockdowns but also very weak and occasionally was clearly being advised to say things he disagreed with.  His anger at Faucci seemed to be the same thing that happened whenever he got angry at anyone who worked for him — they were getting more positive press than he was, and that was just unacceptable.