The Political Lounge

Whitmer's campaign looks at the possibility of a DeVos challenge

Interestingly, Whitmer's re-election campaign seems to be certain that former Education Secretary DeVos is going to challenge them. With former Detroit Police Chief James Craig the GOP has already recruited one of the best candidates this cycle, so I don't think it needs DeVos to run at all. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-whitmer-fundraising-2022-devos-governor

4 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Interestingly, Whitmer's re-election campaign seems to be certain that former Education Secretary DeVos is going to challenge them. With former Detroit Police Chief James Craig the GOP has already recruited one of the best candidates this cycle, so I don't think it needs DeVos to run at all. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-whitmer-fundraising-2022-devos-governor

36 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Craig is likely the Republican’s best chance, so I hope DeVos stays on the sidelines. From what I’ve heard from this involved up there, she’d be a weak candidate in the general

I'd be surprised if DeVos can get even 35%. Almost no one likes her. She's got the charisma of a dead rat. Whitmer's not even that great, but she could win 65% of the vote--even in Michigan to DeVos. I think Craig will probably lose too, but only by like 3 or 4%. They need a bigger-name Republican to beat an incumbent. Too bad James has lost twice. I find him really likable for a Republican politician. Despite being a two-time loser, he might have a better chance than Craig. He'd definitely be better than DeVos. DeVos makes Hillary Clinton seem as charismatic and attractive as Cleopatra is portrayed. I can't think of a worse candidate for the GOP to run in any election than DeVos. She's not that bright, she makes Dick Cheney seem warm, caring, and fun, etc. On top of this, I'm not sure she's win over the still existing Trump base, considering she bailed on Trump's administration over Jan 6th. As someone that prefers Democrats! Please, DeVos, run!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Too bad James has lost twice. I find him really likable for a Republican politician. 

I agree 100%. Not sure if he'd be a better candidate than Craig after losing twice, but if so, I'd welcome him in the race.

Yeah, DeVos doesn't seem likeable in any way... her campaign could be funded very well, but I prefer that money going to Craig (or James).

12 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I agree 100%. Not sure if he'd be a better candidate than Craig after losing twice, but if so, I'd welcome him in the race.

Yeah, DeVos doesn't seem likeable in any way... her campaign could be funded very well, but I prefer that money going to Craig (or James).

I doubt she really raises much money. I don't think people are going to throw money at someone that isn't going to win. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I'd be surprised if DeVos can get even 35%. Almost no one likes her. She's got the charisma of a dead rat. Whitmer's not even that great, but she could win 65% of the vote--even in Michigan to DeVos. I think Craig will probably lose too, but only by like 3 or 4%. They need a bigger-name Republican to beat an incumbent. Too bad James has lost twice. I find him really likable for a Republican politician. Despite being a two-time loser, he might have a better chance than Craig. He'd definitely be better than DeVos. DeVos makes Hillary Clinton seem as charismatic and attractive as Cleopatra is portrayed. I can't think of a worse candidate for the GOP to run in any election than DeVos. She's not that bright, she makes Dick Cheney seem warm, caring, and fun, etc. On top of this, I'm not sure she's win over the still existing Trump base, considering she bailed on Trump's administration over Jan 6th. As someone that prefers Democrats! Please, DeVos, run!

Craig has actually outperformed James in the 2 polls done for a hypothetical matchup between Whimer. Those 2 losses likely hurt his ability to get people to support him. He'd be wise to sit out for a bit and try something more local (state legislature or even US rep).

You're absolutely right about DeVos though. That's a guaranteed landslide.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, jvikings1 said:

Craig has actually outperformed James in the 2 polls done for a hypothetical matchup between Whimer. Those 2 losses likely hurt his ability to get people to support him. He'd be wise to sit out for a bit and try something more local (state legislature or even US rep).

Oh yes, Congressman James! I'd like that.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I doubt she really raises much money. I don't think people are going to throw money at someone that isn't going to win. 

Her brother also founded Blackwater, if I recall correctly from her nomination as Sec of Education.  Definitely an immediate family member, I think it was her brother.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Have you seen some of bizarrely high (for minor party candidates) campaign warchests of some of the Natural Law Party candidates in various races in several First World Nations back in the '90's.

No, I haven't. 

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

As someone that actually really likes Betsy DeVos and she is was one of the very few very bright spots of the Trump administration- this isn’t the race for her. 

Im a Craig backer through and through here.

• Like 1