Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Election Data (since 1860)


vcczar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Added some more elections. Here's a list of top 5 greatest and weakest election victories by category:

Greatest Victories: 

  • FDR def. Landon in 1936
    • Victory with Greatest EV over required for victory
    • Victory with highest % of total EVs
  • LBJ def. Goldwater in 1964
    • Victory with highest popular vote %
  • Harding def. Cox in 1920
    • Victory with greatest margin of popular vote% vs other major party
  • Nixon def. McGovern in 1972
    • Victory with highest % of states won (tied)
    • Victory with the most number of states won with a 10%+ margin
  • Reagan def. Mondale in 1984
    • Victory with highest % of states won (tied)

Weakest Victories:

  • Hayes def. Tilden in 1876
    • Victory with worst EV over required for victory
    • Victory with lowest % of total EVs
    • Victory with largest loss in the popular vote %
  • Lincoln def. Douglas, Breckinridge, and Bell in 1860
    • Victory with lowest popular vote %
  • Carter def. Ford in 1976
    • Victory with lowest % of states won (tied)
  • Kennedy def. Nixon in 1960
    • Victory with lowest % of states won (tied)
    • Victory with the least number of states won with a 10%+ margin
    • Victory with the most # of states won by less than 2% margin (tied)
  • Reagan def. Carter in 1980
    • Victory with the most # of states won by less than 2% margin (tied)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

 

  • Harding def. Cox in 1920
    • Victory with greatest margin of popular vote% vs other major party

And yet this election has the unique distinction of being the only one with a losing running mate who later won the presidency

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pilight said:

And yet this election has the unique distinction of being the only one with a losing running mate who later won the presidency

Yeah, had FDR not been governor of NY, and done well with the early stages of the Great Depression as Gov of NY, then he would not have had any shot in 1932. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2021 at 12:45 AM, Timur said:

The 1920 election also had two Ohioans running against each other. Harding defeated Cox 58-38 in Ohio.

Funny enough, the 2016 election saw two New Yorkers running against each other. Clinton defeated Trump 59-37 in New York, nearly identical margin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Timur I did some research and apparently this has only happened 6 times.

1860: Lincoln (R-IL) v. Douglas (D-IL) Lincoln+3.5

1904: Roosevelt (R-NY) v. Parker (D-NY) Roosevelt+10.8

1920: Harding (R-OH) v. Cox (D-OH) Harding+19.9

1940: Roosevelt (D-NY) v. Willkie (R-NY) Roosevelt+3.5

1944: Roosevelt (D-NY) v. Dewey (R-NY) Roosevelt+5.0

2016: Clinton (D-NY) v. Trump (R-NY) Clinton+22.5

It looks like Hillary Clinton holds the record for largest margin of victory in a shared Presidential home state. Curiously, she is also the only homestate winner to have not been elected President.

@vcczar may also be interested in these numbers.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dobs said:

@Timur I did some research and apparently this has only happened 6 times.

1860: Lincoln (R-IL) v. Douglas (D-IL) Lincoln+3.5

1904: Roosevelt (R-NY) v. Parker (D-NY) Roosevelt+10.8

1920: Harding (R-OH) v. Cox (D-OH) Harding+19.9

1940: Roosevelt (D-NY) v. Willkie (R-NY) Roosevelt+3.5

1944: Roosevelt (D-NY) v. Dewey (R-NY) Roosevelt+5.0

2016: Clinton (D-NY) v. Trump (R-NY) Clinton+22.5

It looks like Hillary Clinton holds the record for largest margin of victory in a shared Presidential home state. Curiously, she is also the only homestate winner to have not been elected President.

@vcczar may also be interested in these numbers.

Crazy how narrow FDRs victories were in New York compared to the US overall. I realize Republicans did way better with urban voters back then but still a surprise to me, especially since he was governor. Thanks for sharing.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Although, @jvikings1 has said, at least once, that Lincoln should be compared to Breckinridge for Homestate stats in 1860, as I recall... 😉

On a technicality, that is true.

2 hours ago, Dobs said:

Fortunately, he was not the democratic nominee.

To be fair to Patine, never in any post did anyone say Democrat vs. Republican (just 2 prominent candidates from the same state)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...