The Political Lounge

Are you a Preventative Voter in the General Election?

vcczar

Are you a Preventative Voter in the General Election?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. In most of the elections of my lifetime, I've....

• ...predominately voted to prevent an unacceptable nominee or an unacceptable party policy platform from winning than voted primarily for the preferred nominee and their platform.
    • ...predominately voted for a nominee and their party policy platform than voted primarily to defeat the opponent.
    • ...not voted or voted 3rd party as I don't believe in preventative voting and I won't vote for a candidate unless they are close to ideal.

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

In the two presidential elections I've been old enough to vote in I voted for the Libertarian. However in the in 3 election periods I've overall been able to vote for I have voted for the Democrat more.

It's interesting how many Libertarian-Democratic voters there are. There's a lot more than I thought there were. 

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

But that was the national mascot election, not the election that mattered and where the real Government and decision-makers were elected, which last was 2019. 😛

Yeah, but voting for any Austrian party in their current state can only be explained by preventative voting...

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

It's interesting how many Libertarian-Democratic voters there are. There's a lot more than I thought there were. 

I think this is due to a large number of right-wing libertarian voters/politicians migrating to the Republican party. This leaves others with some strange combinations in the LP.

• Thanks 1

In the 2 national elections, I have not once voted for a Republican for Congress (Brett Guthrie; voted Libertarian)/Senate (Mitch McConnell; voted Libertarian). Rand Paul in 2022 will be the first time that will happen. I did not vote for my Republican state senator either (wrote in my dad), though did twice for my state representative (which I now regret).

Statewide, I voted Republican all except Secretary of State (I actually voted Dem in that race due to corruption issues from the Republican) and Agriculture Commissioner (voted Libertarian). The other Republicans were ones I liked/was fine voting for on their merits.

• Thanks 1

While no candidate is perfect, I’ve never had to “grit my teeth/bite my tongue” in a general election.  It is always an easy decision for me — the one exception was 2008 when I viewed both Obama and McCain as good people who would sincerely do their best.  Until McCain chose Palin as VP, revealing that his best was simply no longer good enough.

11 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

While no candidate is perfect, I’ve never had to “grit my teeth/bite my tongue” in a general election.  It is always an easy decision for me — the one exception was 2008 when I viewed both Obama and McCain as good people who would sincerely do their best.  Until McCain chose Palin as VP, revealing that his best was simply no longer good enough.

For me, it’s clear as well, but my energy on Election Day is more preventative than for someone as I haven’t been excited about a general election nominee. Obama is the nominee I liked best. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

For me, it’s clear as well, but my energy on Election Day is more preventative than for someone as I haven’t been excited about a general election nominee. Obama is the nominee I liked best. 

I can certainly imagine having to be preventative.  For example, I strongly disliked Amy Klobuchar, but of course I would have taken her over Trump.  

But usually, because I don’t expect perfection and have what I perceive to be realistic expectations, it’s actually not that hard for a party to come up with a candidate I can vote for with a smile on my face.  

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I can certainly imagine having to be preventative.  For example, I strongly disliked Amy Klobuchar, but of course I would have taken her over Trump.  

But usually, because I don’t expect perfection and have what I perceive to be realistic expectations, it’s actually not that hard for a party to come up with a candidate I can vote for with a smile on my face.  

Are you mocking me, Ted?  You don't expect perfection? Guess we're not all perfect like you. 😛 Klobberin time

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hestia said:

Are you mocking me, Ted?  You don't expect perfection? Guess we're not all perfect like you. 😛 Klobberin time

Feel the Klobbering!