The Political Lounge

Rethinking American Politics

vcczar

Rethinking American Politics  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you agree with?

• Voters need to be less partisan
    • American politicians need to be less partisan
    • Voters need to be more non-partisan or more bipartisan
    • American politicians need to be more non-partisan or more bipartisan
    • We need more moderates in politics
    • We need more populists in politics
    • We need more anti-establishment politicians
    • We need to reform and regulate the media and social media
    • We need to restrict voting access
    • We need to increase voting access
    • We need to have few restrictions on gerrymandering
    • We need to increase restrictions or ban gerrymandering and create redistricting reform
    • We need electoral equity for 3rd parties so they aren't completely shadowed and stifled by the duopoly
    • We need to abolish the EC
    • We need ranked-choice voting or multi-round voting
    • Politicians that are strongly believed to be ethically or morally challenged should be seriously investigated by a non-partisan group, and if found to be ethically/morally challenged, be forced to resign and/or face severe punishment
    • Candidates, nominees, and sitting politicians should be forced to have their life, records, history, etc completely transparent for voters.
    • It should be easier to amend the Constitution
    • Other (mention below)

8 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Instead of buying into their talking points and movements, the way forward is to offer alternative solutions which actually reduce government (and thus acknowledge the root of the problem). Many conservatives are open to embracing criminal justice reform, but they will not work with groups that wish to tear down their livelihood.

Which is precisely what I’m doing. I’m just not also coming off as stonehearted to millions of black Americans.

7 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Just to tack on a little bit (in agreement), but public schools often do not give students as many opportunities than private schools - that much is true, in most cases. (I'm fortunate enough to have been in a public school where we did have a lot of opportunities, and I cherish my public school). Is that necessarily bad in every case? Not necessarily, depending on the public school many things are available for students to enjoy. However, you are absolutely correct that it is because private schools have a lot more money to spend on kids that they can choose which ones attend the school. 

The solution is not to take more money away from public schools - where the vast majority of students participate in. Private schools are just that - private. Public money should not go to private schools. I have no problem with students being given the choice to go to a public or a private school. However, when they make that choice, they should know what joining that school means - they have to, in most cases, pay a hefty fee, and will continue to pay taxes that go to public schools. That's their choice. Almost 90% of students go to public schools - taking money away from them will only hurt the students and families that can't afford to go to private school. 

Allowing the money to follow students rather than institutions will still allow kids to have options (but will incentivize better teaching methods in public schools, should parents chose them). But the argument that public schools themselves just need more and more funding and then they will succeed has long worn out its welcome. Funding has continually increased for many years now, but outcomes have not followed. Throwing more money at a broken system is not going to cause different results.

Just now, jvikings1 said:

Allowing the money to follow students rather than institutions will still allow kids to have options (but will incentivize better teaching methods in public schools, should parents chose them). But the argument that public schools themselves just need more and more funding and then they will succeed has long worn out its welcome. Funding has continually increased for many years now, but outcomes have not followed. Throwing more money at a broken system is not going to cause different results.

The money is controlled by the states. It's pretty clear that you're going to have different outcomes in how education is funded in Iowa (which, all things considered, does pretty well) and in a state like Oklahoma where teachers had to buy their own supplies nearly every year and they considered to move to a 4 day school week because the state underfunded them. It's not going to be a 100% effective measure, nothing is, but some states likely do have to pay more to adequately fill the need of their public schools, while others may not have to. 

I would say that there are not so much differences between private and public schools

I got most of my school in public but I went to a private one at the beginning of medium school

Truth is, I did almost nothing in public school during my medium and highschool years, then I made my own lessons (mostly by taking these on internet in good websites which followed the official program) and studied at home for an intensive month before the final highschool exam and I got in the national top 13% of my category.

My friends from private medium and highschool did not do as well as me, so I handily defeated their stupid system built on comparing results, and stuffing students with tons of useless work at home every week/every year/for years.

The french educationnal system is particulary stupid compared to others european and US ones, as we love to put kids at schools from 28 to 36h a week.

Edited by Edouard

6 minutes ago, Edouard said:

I did almost nothing in public school during my medium and highschool years

Ain't that the truth. I relate. I was an AP/Honors student and I always had good grades except for the odd class here or there. Kids who did bad, and I'm only saying this because it's true. Were the bad kids, vapers, potheads, etc. There were a few who had issues at home and I try to be understanding of that. But I just say this because that's what the vast majority of kids who did poorly down here were. 

I remember in AP US History. I never studied for a single test in that class and got an A+. While also passing the AP exam with a 4. Fun class. Did nothing. Although we did have fun debates.

I digress. On the topic at hand. Failing public schools need help if they can get it but US Education is still screwed. Standardized testing sucks, and theres not enough emphasis on teaching kids how to be successful rather than remember a 700 page textbook for a memory exam. 

Private schools tend to be much more efficient, and better.

16 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Ain't that the truth. I relate. I was an AP/Honors student and I always had good grades except for the odd class here or there. Kids who did bad, and I'm only saying this because it's true. Were the bad kids, vapers, potheads, etc. There were a few who had issues at home and I try to be understanding of that. But I just say this because that's what the vast majority of kids who did poorly down here were. 

I remember in AP US History. I never studied for a single test in that class and got an A+. While also passing the AP exam with a 4. Fun class. Did nothing. Although we did have fun debates.

I digress. On the topic at hand. Failing public schools need help if they can get it but US Education is still screwed. Standardized testing sucks, and theres not enough emphasis on teaching kids how to be successful rather than remember a 700 page textbook for a memory exam. 

I separate two things mate !

There are children who are not autonomous, either because of an economic or family issues (most of the cases are related to that), to those people, a help is needed.

But give tons of stupid homeworks to youths is not helping them, and this is what many private schools are doing (at least in France), there were also humiliating ways to compare and put in competition people of the same age, and I was among the low category of my top class in the 1st year of medium, but ended in the national top 13% at the end of my studes

The reason is simple, stuffing kids is not helping them, particulary those who do have difficulties and need tinier classes so that a teacher/professor can take care of their particular issues

I do recognize that I am in the lucky category who does not need help to be succesfull into studes, but what I was blaming is the stupid way to stuff young studens with tons of homework, this is certainly not the way to help them succeed.

Edited by Edouard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edouard said:

I separate two things mate !

There are children who are not autonomous, either because of an economic or family issues (most of the cases are related to that), to those people, a help is needed.

But give tons of stupid homeworks to youths is not helping them, and this is what many private schools are doing (at least in France), there were also humiliating ways to compare and put in competition people of the same age, and I was among the low category of my top class in the 1st year of medium, but ended in the national top 13% at the end of my studes

The reason is simple, stuffing kids is not helping them, particulary those who do have difficulties and need tinier classes so that a teacher/professor can take care of their particular issues

I do recognize that I am in the lucky category who does not need help to be succesfull into studes, but what I was blaming is the stupid way to stuff young studens with tons of homework, this is certainly not the way to help them succeed.

Yep I agree. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Because they can pick and choose only those students who are already prepared to handle schoolwork with minimal discipline.  If the private schools were tasked with educating everyone they would be no more effective than the public ones.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Registering to vote is not a complicated task, especially as states add the option to do it online (which is wise). There doesn't need to be an effort to make it more simple.

There are people who don't want to vote (and thus have no reason to registered). There are people who don't want their address accessible by the public (which registering to vote allows in many states). There are people who do not wish to be bombarded by political mailers. And finally, not registering to vote does not restrict one's ability to accomplish daily functions. Not having a driver's license does (thus why there are people who get one and don't want to register to vote).

Registering to vote can be complicated, depending on where you're trying to do it.  Making registration opt-out instead of opt-in makes it easier for the public and less costly & time consuming for the state and still allows the hypothetical people to whom you're referring the choice to not register.

Having a driver's license makes your address just as searchable as registering to vote.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Areas with high gun control suffer from the highest rates of violence. Laws don't stop criminals (who obviously have no respect for the law in the first place). 

My country has very strict gun control laws, and violent crime isn't common here, but then, to be fair, the US is another world.