The Political Lounge

German SPD Has Support to Lead 3-Way Coalition

Hestia

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Which is odd, given only Adenauer and Kohl could be considered competent leaders among CDU Chancellors. She probably won her elections due to weak opposition - the same phenomenon that allowed Obama to win in 2012, Trudeau to win in 2019, Blair to win in 2001, and the great majority of Liberal Democratic PM's in Japan to win, period. I wouldn't her, insofar as she is a competent leader, herself, nearly so much so. Which means, these changed polling results probably have other catalysts involved, ultimately.

I'd say Merkel is pretty competent. She's steered Germany through quite a few crises and big ones at that. She has never lost an election, and has always gotten her coalitions through all the years in which they're supposed to. In a system like the one they have, that's pretty amazing. I'd say she's more competent than Kohl for sure - more focused definitely. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-spd-greens-and-fdp-ready-to-start-formal-coalition-talks/a-59516636

The SPD, FDP and Greens have agreed to move on to formal coalition talks, and have already agreed to a litany of issues which appear to have papered over quite a few differences. The leaders sound rather upbeat about potential for the coalition to work - and the polls are already paying dividends. POLITICO's poll of polls has the SPD up to 27, Greens up to 16, and FDP up to 14, while the CDU is down to 20 and AfD down to 10. 

• 1 month later...