Fred Harris

Sam Yorty

Patsy Mink

Walter Fauntroy

John G. Schmitz

Too many names

McGovern or McCarthy best. 
Wallace worst. 

I want to put McCarthy best but he voted Reagan over Carter despite being rather progressive. He did it as a kind of spite vote against Carter. 

John Ashbrook

Sam Yorty

Scoop Jackson

--- Approval Line ---

Richard Nixon

Wilbur Mills

George Wallace

Terry Sanford

Hubert Humphrey

Vance Hartke

Fred Harris

Edmund Muskie

Patsy Mink

Eugene McCarthy

Walter Fauntroy

Shirley Chisholm

John Lindsay

Pete McCloskey

George McGovern

--- Bad Person Line ---

John G. Schmitz

Richard Nixon

---Absolute Approval---

Scoop Jackson

Wilbur Mills

John Ashbrook

Terry Sanford

Hubert Humphrey

---Slight Approval---

Vance Hartke

Fred Harris

Edmund Muskie

Sam Yorty

Eugene McCarthy

Walter Fauntroy

Patsy Mink

Shirley Chisholm

John Lindsay

---Absolutely shit because of Ideas. Would never vote. But decent persons.---

Pete McCloskey

George McGovern 

---Absolutely Not Line---

George Wallace

John Schmitz

Edited by Pringles

George McGovern

Eugene McCarthy

Shirley Chishlom

Hubert Humphrey

Terry Sanford

John Lindsay

Pete McCloskey

Edmund Muskie

Walter Fauntroy

Wilbur Mills

Fred Harris

Patsy Mink

Scoop Jackson

Vance Hartke

Richard Nixon

John Ashbrook

Sam Yorty

George Wallace

John G. Schmitz

3 minutes ago, Hestia said:

"When a person tells you who they are - believe them the first time" 

By this line of logic, you'd have Wallace as the poster child of the NAACP that he was during his 1958 run for Governor of Alabama.

Politicians change, Wallace's political journey in particular is one of the most well-documented and fascinating.

25 minutes ago, Dobs said:

By this line of logic, you'd have Wallace as the poster child of the NAACP that he was during his 1958 run for Governor of Alabama.

Politicians change, Wallace's political journey in particular is one of the most well-documented and fascinating.

The quote was just a fun one (and a favorite 😛 ) by Maya Angelou.

1972 Wallace was not a changed man, by any measure. Certainly not one that should be ranked above politicians like Humphrey, especially as someone who just attacked CE2 the other day for ranking something similar. 

In 1963, he made a letter that said blacks were predisposed to criminality like rape and murder. That's only 9 years before this. 

That same year he made his "segregation forever" speech.

In 1965, his wife found out that she had cancer and her husband hadn't told her 3 years earlier when he had learned, which prevented her from getting appropriate care. That was 7 years before 1972. 

In 1967 when he began his campaign, he met with prominent Anti-Semites and white supremacists to chart his campaign. 5 years before 1972.

He ran in 1968 with the backing of White Citizen's Councils and organizations permeated by Nazis. Only 4 years before 1972.

In 1970, he opposed the sitting governor with ads that said, "do you want your governor elected by the black bloc?". That was 2 years before 1972.

He himself "announced" in 1972 that he no longer supported segregation and had always been a "moderate" on racial issues. His actions speak otherwise. By 1979 or 1983, you could argue he had changed. In 1972, there was little evidence to suggest that he had wholeheartedly changed tack. 

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

And Josef Stalin would have to be believed that he had a Spiritual Calling and wanted to be a Priest in the Georgian Orthodox Church and devote his life to Charity, Service, and Good works. Though I agree with the point you're making, @Hestia, the quote used as a vehicle for it might not be optimal...

A quote is just a quote and a bit of fun. Thanks for the advice, though. 

Edited by Hestia

4 minutes ago, Hestia said:

He himself "announced" in 1972 that he no longer supported segregation and had always been a "moderate" on racial issues. His actions speak otherwise. By 1979 or 1983, you could argue he had changed. In 1972, there was little evidence to suggest that he had wholeheartedly changed tack. 

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

His actions pre-1972? Yes, they do. But after his rebirth in Christ and his crippling at the hands of his would-be assassin, I legitimately believe that his life and death situation and how that brought him to Christ made him realize that all of the racist lies (which he knew were lies) that he told to gain power were not worth his soul. And in doing that he reverted to the beliefs he initially esposed as a judge and in his 1958 run. Like you said, when someone tells you who they are the first time, believe them. George Wallace is a deeply flawed human and he hurt many people. I don't support him and would not campaign actively for him. But I believe that his later actions redeemed himself and that more importantly he was truly penitent for his many sins. That's enough to rehabilitate his ranking as compared to 1964 and 1968 for me.

1 minute ago, Dobs said:

His actions pre-1972? Yes, they do. But after his rebirth in Christ and his crippling at the hands of his would-be assassin, I legitimately believe that his life and death situation and how that brought him to Christ made him realize that all of the racist lies (which he knew were lies) that he told to gain power were not worth his soul. And in doing that he reverted to the beliefs he initially esposed as a judge and in his 1958 run. Like you said, when someone tells you who they are the first time, believe them. George Wallace is a deeply flawed human and he hurt many people. I don't support him and would not campaign actively for him. But I believe that his later actions redeemed himself and that more importantly he was truly penitent for his many sins. That's enough to rehabilitate his ranking as compared to 1964 and 1968 for me.

I don't believe he fundamentally changed in 1972. I think it's naïve to think that he did. He said and did despicable things against a community, on par with some of the worst people on these lists only a handful of years before this. People don't change that fast. Like I said, by 1979 or 1983, I think you could make the argument he had truly changed. In 1972, that is an abrupt turnaround that I don't buy. 

• Agree 2

George Wallace is of a similar breed that created America First Populism. Sure, he changed by the 80s in his final term as Governor. Even won most African Americans. 

That does not justify his previous actions for me and he is still, without a doubt, one of the worst influences weve had in American society. 

I cant understand a rank of his higher than the bottom. And he would've made a terrible President. No true conservative could support him or think remotely high of him. The same goes for Trump, and other populist influences throughout society.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pringles said:

George Wallace is of a similar breed that created America First Populism. Sure, he changed by the 80s in his final term as Governor. Even won most African Americans. 

That does not justify his previous actions for me and he is still, without a doubt, one of the worst influences weve had in American society. 

I cant understand a rank of his higher than the bottom. And he would've made a terrible President. No true conservative could support him or think remotely high of him. The same goes for Trump, and other populist influences throughout society.

I agree with all of this.

I think Wallace was a flip-flopper & an opportunist. It is questionable how much of his racism was sincere...

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Notably, a quote conspicuous by it's absence of poignant quotes by Canadian PM's on the loading screen of Anthony's PM4E and PMI, Canadian Edition.

Maybe Anthony shouldve adhered to his own game advice better

edit: my bad. Thought you said it was in the game. Now I wonder why... *cough* 😛

Edited by Pringles

8 minutes ago, Timur said:

I think Wallace was a flip-flopper & an opportunist. It is questionable how much of his racism was sincere...

Even though most politicians are... in some ways at least. Wallace had a cult like following that would follow him to the depths of hell. Had he ever gotten near the WH or started claiming it was rigged, I wouldnt be surprised if a Jan 6 like event would have happened.

11 minutes ago, Timur said:

He was. Regardless of how sincere his racism is, it was poisonous and hurt quite a few (millions) of people. Not caring about using racism to win office and hurt those exact people, is racist in its own way. 

• Agree 2

I UNDERSTOOD HIS SITUATION. HE WAS IN ALABAMA AND HAD AN ELECTORATE THAT WAS MUCH MORE SEGREGATED THAN WE HAD IN VIRGINIA. HE COULD NOT HAVE DONE WHAT I DID AND I UNDERSTOOD THAT BUT I RECOGNIZED THAT HE WAS WRONG BUT THAT HE COULD NOT HELP IT. WE GOT ALONG FINE. - Linwood Holton

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Even though most politicians are... in some ways at least. Wallace had a cult like following that would follow him to the depths of hell. Had he ever gotten near the WH or started claiming it was rigged, I wouldnt be surprised if a Jan 6 like event would have happened.

He certainly has been compared to Trump by John Lewis and Barack Obama. However, George Wallace's daughter sees Trump as worse...

https://www.newsweek.com/daughter-racist-george-wallace-trump-worse-father-1451949

I pretty much have mixed views on him.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, Timur said:

Richard Nixon

John Ashbrook

Pete McCloskey

George McGovern

Hubert Humphrey

George Wallace

Edmund Muskie

Eugene McCarthy

Scoop Jackson

Shirley Chishlom

Terry Sanford

John Lindsay

Wilbur Mills

Vance Hartke

Fred Harris

Sam Yorty

Patsy Mink

Walter Fauntroy

John G. Schmitz

Hubert Humphrey

Eugene McCarthy

Walter Fauntroy

Edmund Muskie

Scoop Jackson

Richard Nixon

George McGovern

Patsy Mink

Shirley Chishlom

John Lindsay

Wilbur Mills

John Ashbrook

Fred Harris

George Wallace

Vance Hartke

Pete McCloskey

Sam Yorty

21 minutes ago, Timur said:

Hubert Humphrey

Eugene McCarthy

Walter Fauntroy

Edmund Muskie

Scoop Jackson

Richard Nixon

George McGovern

Patsy Mink

Shirley Chishlom

John Lindsay

Wilbur Mills

John Ashbrook

Fred Harris

George Wallace

Vance Hartke

Pete McCloskey

Sam Yorty

For a Republican you rank Hubert pretty high and not Nixon. Unless I'm mistaken on you. 

Tbf, I like Hubert as a person, and hes got some pretty good foreign policy views. Besides Scoop I think I had him on the higher end of my ranking.

Just now, Pringles said:

For a Republican you rank Hubert pretty high and not Nixon. Unless I'm mistaken on you. 

Tbf, I like Hubert as a person, and hes got some pretty good foreign policy views. Besides Scoop I think I had him on the higher end of my ranking.

My views are all over the place...

I tend to prefer Republicans because of pro-life views & foreign policy (though thanks to Trump, I'm not so favorable...)

I think I would have been more supportive of the liberals if I was in the 1970s.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Timur said:

I tend to prefer Republicans because of pro-life views & foreign policy (though thanks to Trump, I'm not so favorable...)

I think I would have been more supportive of the liberals if I was in the 1970s.

Also, Nixon was  moderate on Abortion.

16 minutes ago, Timur said:

So you're an old liberal! I respect it. Socially Conservative economically moderate sounds like your thing. 

Hubert was a good man, I got big respect for him. Him and Nixon, despite all the political plays against each other, with LBJ in the middle of it all... they were quite good friends. Talked regularly. 

There's a phone call between them on YT where Hubert congratulates his 72 victory. And even talks a bit of smack about McGovern himself, saying he "had to do what he had to do." On Huberts endorsement of McGovern... 

But yeah, big respect for Hubert. He lost, but he played to win. 🙂 😎

On 8/12/2021 at 5:26 AM, Pringles said:

There's a phone call between them on YT where Hubert congratulates his 72 victory. And even talks a bit of smack about McGovern himself, saying he "had to do what he had to do." On Huberts endorsement of McGovern... 

I like the Hump but that does lower my opinion slightly

On the subject of friendships it Humphrey seems like quite the friendly guy. LBJ and RFK hated each other but apparently HHH and RFK were good friends