The Political Lounge

Papal Conclave election RP?

SilentLiberty

Would anyone be interested in doing a papal conclave election roleplay? Perhaps even play out a bit of the papacy after the election? If interested let me know! We'd all be the cardinals doing the voting. And everyone could come up with their own character and traits as well as their religious views(like how strict or liberal they are in terms of the Catholic church)

Ideally I'd like at least like 5 of us playing, and I figure we could each have a few players to make up numbers too.

• Like 1

@SilentLiberty

Here were my rules for my game...this is off the top of my head from 2013, and I never wrote them down:

• Players play as a faction/coalition of Cardinals. 
  • There are about 115 Cardinals that go to Conclave (you can can roll to determine a range, say 100-130) each time you play. 
  • There are 6 regions: North America, South America, Italy, Rest of Europe, Africa, Asia & Oceana. Half of the number must come from Europe, half of those must be Italian. Of the rest of the world, 2/3 come from the New World. 1/3 comes from Asia or Africa. This is a good graph for determining specific countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_papal_conclave#/media/File:Conclave_2013_by_country.svg
  • Random Cardinals are labeled Papabile, who are the only Cardinals that will be under consideration for Pope.
  • 6 Random Cardinals are labeled Papal Officers (you can use specific titles)
  • 1 Random Cardinal is made presiding Bishop-Cardinal
  • A Cardinal from each region is labeled "Influential Archbishop", randomly.
  • Cardinals can't hold more than one office
  • Papabile Cardinals are randomly assigned ages from 49 to 79
  • Cardinals are randomly assigned Liberal, Moderate, Conservative
  • Cardinals are randomly assigned Reformist or Establishment
  • Cardinals have 25% chance of getting the following (they can have multiple): Scholar, Polyglot, Manipulative, Virtuous, Humble, Flamboyant...and basically any traits you want.
  • The traits, offices, doctrinal stances, etc. all play a role in converting votes. 
  • 2/3 votes needed to become Pope; keep doing ballots until this is accomplished.

I gotta go again, but I can flesh this out when I have more time. If you know how to use excel/google sheets, this can all be created really easily. 

Let me know if you don't want to do anything like this because that will save me time typing out the rest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@SilentLiberty

Here were my rules for my game...this is off the top of my head from 2013, and I never wrote them down:

• There are about 115 Cardinals that go to Conclave (you can can roll to determine a range, say 100-130) each time you play. 
  • There are 6 regions: North America, South America, Italy, Rest of Europe, Africa, Asia & Oceana. Half of the number must come from Europe, half of those must be Italian. Of the rest of the world, 2/3 come from the New World. 1/3 comes from Asia or Africa. This is a good graph for determining specific countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_papal_conclave#/media/File:Conclave_2013_by_country.svg
  • Random Cardinals are labeled Papabile, who are the only Cardinals that will be under consideration for Pope.
  • Cardinals have 25% chance of getting the following (they can have multiple): Scholar, Polyglot, Manipulative, Virtuous, Humble, Flamboyant...and basically any traits you want.
  • The traits, offices, doctrinal stances, etc. all play a role in converting votes. 
  • 2/3 votes needed to become Pope; keep doing ballots until this is accomplished.

I gotta go again, but I can flesh this out when I have more time. If you know how to use excel/google sheets, this can all be created really easily. 

Let me know if you don't want to do anything like this because that will save me time typing out the rest. 

This is extremely helpful! I'm not sure what all I will use but I'm absolutely going to include some, perhaps most of it. It gave me more ideas that I just had originally to start which I think will make it more in depth and enjoyable for everyone involved! So if you want to type out the rest that'd be very much appreciated!!! Thank you so very much!!! 

@SilentLiberty just to continue off my old rules...I think I had the following as well:

• There is a 1st ballot vote, in which all the players have complete control over their votes. 
  • In between ballots, each cardinal can attempt to pry away a cardinal to join their faction. The Cardinal that is presiding and the Cardinal officers and Cardinal Archbishops cannot be pried. The presiding Cardinal gets 3 attempts to convert. The cardinal officers get 2 attempts. The Archbishops get 2 attempts, but they can only convert people from their region. 
  • All other cardinals get one conversion attempt, but they can only attempt a conversion if they have a share doctrinal stance and traits. 
  • Each Cardinal has a 25% chance of conversion, unless they have Virtuous (can only be converted by Virtuous) or have some sort of trait that makes them easily swayed (I forgot the term I used), but they have like a 50% chance of conversion. I think I had a trait "greedy" that would be a 50% conversion for a "manipulative" Cardinal to convert as they'd bribe them. There's all kind of traits that could do something. 
  • When converting a Cardinal, they join your faction. 
  • Once a Pope is elected, you count all the commonalities between your cardinals and the pope, and add that up for points. So if the new Pope is a Liberal Reformist from South America who is a Virtuous Scholar, and you have 10 Cardinals that are liberal, 8 that are reformist, 1 that is virtuous, and 2 that are scholars, then you get like 21 pts. You can also change the point system to make certain shared things worth more. 

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out that I can't think of at the moment. If you let me know how you think you were going to run it, then maybe it will jog my memory on some more things. I've got so many game ideas, many I made at some point, but never wrote down. Sort of just made the games for myself, was into them for a week, and then moved on to something else.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

@SilentLiberty

For ideology I would also include progressive (for someone like James Martin) and paleoconservative / traditionalist (someone like Carlo Vigano).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on setting up an in universe cannon and a divergent point from real life. This has absolutely not been forgotten about and I'm very excited to jump into this. If we get enough players I might just GM it, however it's still possible we'd all have two or three characters to use. 

• Like 2