The Political Lounge

Happy 4/20

Rodja

Marijuana Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support complete legalization of recreational use of marijuana?

27 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

You've taken it to the ridiculous extreme, there's no further value in the conversation.

The "ridiculous extremity" of my probe is based on the "ridiculous extremity" of the law against marijuana. I admit, if @ConservativeElector2 or @Dobs vote(d) against marijuana I wouldn't have questioned them. You were questioned, because you tend to be rational, wise, and reasonable in just about all other areas. This stance just seems like it is way off out in left field as if you were attacked by a man dressed as a blunt as a child. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I admit, if @ConservativeElector2 or @Dobs vote(d) against marijuana I wouldn't have questioned them. You were questioned, because you tend to be rational, wise, and reasonable in just about all other areas.

Am I to take this to mean that Chris and I are not rational, wise, and reasonable in just about all other areas? 😉

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The "ridiculous extremity" of my probe is based on the "ridiculous extremity" of the law against marijuana. I admit, if @ConservativeElector2 or @Dobs vote(d) against marijuana I wouldn't have questioned them. You were questioned, because you tend to be rational, wise, and reasonable in just about all other areas. This stance just seems like it is way off out in left field as if you were attacked by a man dressed as a blunt as a child. 

With respect, you only see me as rational, wise, and reasonable when I'm agreeing with you. ;c)  And you're not unique in that manner, I tend to feel that way about people too.  You're not surprised that I'm suddenly unrational/unwise/unreasonable.  You're surprised that I'm not agreeing with you.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

With respect, you only see me as rational, wise, and reasonable when I'm agreeing with you. ;c)  And you're not unique in that manner, I tend to feel that way about people too.  You're not surprised that I'm suddenly unrational/unwise/unreasonable.  You're surprised that I'm not agreeing with you.

That's incorrect. I don't attack @ConservativeElector2 or @Dobs for being irrational, unwise, or unreasonable because they disagree with me. It's the reasons for the disagreement that allow for the possibility that I think one is being irrational, unwise, or unreasonable. There are rational, wise, and reasonable ways reasons for disagreeing with me and irrational and unwise or unreasonable reasons for agreeing with me. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's incorrect. I don't attack @ConservativeElector2 or @Dobs for being irrational, unwise, or unreasonable because they disagree with me. It's the reasons for the disagreement that allow for the possibility that I think one is being irrational, unwise, or unreasonable. There are rational, wise, and reasonable ways reasons for disagreeing with me and irrational and unwise or unreasonable reasons for agreeing with me. 

Ironically, you seem to have forgotten I actually agree with you on this issue.

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What was my irrational, unwise, and unreasonable reason for disagreeing with you?

Just now, Rodja said:

I am actually very surprised that @Dobsis more liberal than @MrPotatoTedon this issue.

I've always said that I'm a moderate.  I'm pretty transparent of my general admiration for President W Bush (while also acknowledging he was dead wrong on some things, such as LGBTQ rights).

Moderate began to look an awful lot like liberal/progressive when Trump came onto the scene.

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

What was my irrational, unwise, and unreasonable reason for disagreeing with you?

I guess you have a point here. You haven't given a reason. Maye the unreasonable, irrational, and unwise thing is that you are banning it without giving a reason. Maybe your reason will diffuse reaction to your stance. 

I should highlight that I do not smoke marijuana. I have no plans on smoking it. I am not affected whether it is banned or not. I just believe in eliminating laws, arrests, sentences, fines, etc on things that are practically innocuous and have no strong evidence justifying it as a crime, felony, or misdemeanor when compared to things that are typically crimes, felony, or misdemeanor, such as murder, theft, or driving under the influence. If one wants to curb pot usage or punish abusers of the drug, then treat it like alcohol -- penalize driving under excessive influence, for instance. 

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I've always said that I'm a moderate.  I'm pretty transparent of my general admiration for President W Bush (while also acknowledging he was dead wrong on some things, such as LGBTQ rights).

Support of Bush seems more reasonable than support of a ban on marijuana IMHO. I think it's because one can find legitimate evidence for admiration of Bush (donated a lot to Africa to combat AIDs, swift responds to a terrorist attack, signed some bipartisan things, helped some industries, No Call List, etc.)

• Like 1

Just now, vcczar said:

I guess you have a point here. You haven't given a reason. Maye the unreasonable, irrational, and unwise thing is that you are banning it without giving a reason. Maybe your reason will diffuse reaction to your stance. 

I should highlight that I do not smoke marijuana. I have no plans on smoking it. I am not affected whether it is banned or not. I just believe in eliminating laws, arrests, sentences, fines, etc on things that are practically innocuous and have no strong evidence justifying it as a crime, felony, or misdemeanor when compared to things that are typically crimes, felony, or misdemeanor, such as murder, theft, or driving under the influence. If one wants to curb pot usage or punish abusers of the drug, then treat it like alcohol -- penalize driving under excessive influence, for instance. 

Exactly -- my reasonable, rational, wise mind read the room and said "Wait, 93.3333% of the room literally voted that I was wrong before I even opened my mouth, and the remaining ~7% already voted that I'm right, so who exactly am I trying to convince here?"  Ha.

Could I make the effort of actually going through the whole thing point by point?  Sure.  But realistically, it would be a waste of my time as it wouldn't be seriously considered and weighed, it would be cherry picked by the more than 93% of the crowd who decided I was unreasonable, irrational, and unwise before I'd even presented my case. ;c)

This is an especially liberal forum, and honestly I like that a heck of a lot better than an especially conservative one.  I accept that as a moderate I am sometimes in the minority here, and that's fine.  But I don't see a lot of value in trying to persuade a crowd that's already 93% stacked against me. 

14 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I think it's because he's the Antonin Scalia, or Goldwater kind of Conservative, not the Dick Cheney kind. 😛

Goldwater/Amash/Gorsuch are among my influences, yes. @Rodja I identify strongly with classical liberalism/libertarian conservatism.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

@Dobs @Pringles Look at that! A vicious, nasty argument started before I logged in - or even woke up for the morning. You can't label me THE ONLY troublemaker on this site - like you were implying a few days ago - with any genuinity now, can you? 😛

Why do you feel the need to post this

4 hours ago, Patine said:

For fun, as the emote might indicate. If it were serious and truly vindictive, it would be a long rant. I thought you knew me well enough, by now, to discern this.

1 hour ago, Dobs said:

❤️

Creating this forum for interactions like this was the best trade deal of all time, maybe ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Based 1