The Political Lounge

West Virginia Paradox

DakotaHale

Just now, Patine said:

Coal is an easily foreseeably dying industry. It's being phased out - in a general, across-the-board sense, faster than oil. If West Virginia (and Kentucky) politicians had any foresight and brains in their skulls, they would be working, and prioritizing resources, to diversify their State's economies for the very near (relatively speaking) day that coal will not rake in State prosperity, or even pay the bills, instead of prioritizing policies to defend the coal industry as the biggest source of wealth and employment tooth and nail.

West Virginia: we ain’t Mississippi 

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Don't give me, "sad," emotes, give me rational and sensible responses.

You’re kind of just falling for their “traps.” They get a kick out of irritating you. You’re like the old neighbor on Dennis the Menace. If you keep reacting to their games, they’ll just amp it up, maybe even repost that video of “you” that @Eugene had posted or something else. Basically, you’ve made it clear that emote misbehavior enrages you. They’ll use that weakness against you. 

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, if @DakotaHale wants to put up topical posts, and then act like a fool with no sensible humour to responses, rather than address then rationally, I guess we'll ALL have to be wary of his topical posts from now on.

And I honestly have no clue how The Troll thinks a some about and video about a flamboyant promiscuous entertainer has anything to do with me, or why anyone else here is hoodwinked into believing it does. But, I question the motives of The Troll for even being on this forum - I don't think he's really here for the reasons the rest of us are.

I will just say that on the issue for now.

I had no clue who the guy in the video was or his backstory. It was just a video of some older guy getting over-dramatically upset, comically so. I also never played it with the sound on. I don’t laugh out loud much, but I did when I saw that. Because I could see you responding like that to emotes or to someone asking you to use a credit card or something. 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Coal is an easily foreseeably dying industry. It's being phased out - in a general, across-the-board sense, faster than oil. If West Virginia (and Kentucky) politicians had any foresight and brains in their skulls, they would be working, and prioritizing resources, to diversify their State's economies for the very near (relatively speaking) day that coal will not rake in State prosperity, or even pay the bills, instead of prioritizing policies to defend the coal industry as the biggest source of wealth and employment into seemingly viewed perpetuity tooth and nail.

Politicians don't think long term.  They think about the next election.  That's one of the biggest downsides to democracy, it rewards short sighted policies that give immediate gratification to the voters.  There are lots coal and coal-adjacent jobs in West Virginia that will still exist come election time, so it is in the best interest of the elected officials to protect them if they want to be reelected.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patine said:

Unfortunately, this is one of the big factors in the rise of Chinese power and influence in the world, is their powerful command of long-term agendas, projects, and vision - and one of the very hardest to counter from the Western World or the Five Dragons.

You say that, but coal accounts for 60% of China's power production.  That's three times the US percentage.  Unlike the rest of the world the Chinese are building large numbers of new coal plants.  

15 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Mississippi is the Florida of the USA

Will Mississippi Man make an appearance?

Edited by Timur
  • Haha 1