The Political Lounge

Which US Wars do you support?

vcczar

Which US Wars Do You Support?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which US Wars Do You Support? (Note: There are some minor wars, interventions, operations, etc. that are not included)

• None. I don't support any war ever conducted by the USA.
    • American Revolution (secured Independence)
    • Northwest Indian War (secured Midwest)
    • Cherokee-American War (secured western half of the Carolinas and parts of GA)
    • Quasi-War (Ended French attacks on US shipping)
    • First Barbary War (Ended payment of tribute to Barbary Pirates)
    • Tecumseh's War (Resecured Midwest)
    • War of 1812 (Technically a draw but UK never waged war on US directly again)
    • Creek War (Secured AL and MS)
    • 2nd Barbary War (Ended attacks on shipping by Barbary Pirates)
    • 1st Seminole War (Resulted in Spain selling FL to the US)
    • Black Hawk War (Secured land near Illinois)
    • 2nd Seminole War (more or less secured FL)
    • Mexican-American War (Secured TX and gained CA, and future NM, AZ)
    • Cayuse War (secured land in OR)
    • Apache Wars (secured land in the Southwest)
    • Navajo Wars (secured land in the Southwest)
    • Yakima War (secured land in WA)
    • 3rd Seminole War (resulted in relocating most of the rest of the Seminoles)
    • Utah War (securing full Federal Authority over the Mormon-led government)
    • Navajo War (secured land in the Southwest)
    • American Civil War (preserved the Union and ended slavery)
    • Dakota War (secured land in future ND and SD)
    • Red Cloud War (secured land in MT and WY)
    • Comanche War (secured the western portion of TX)
    • Great Sioux War (secured land in MT, WY, SD, ND)
    • Nez Perce War (secured land in OR, MT, ID, WY)
    • Yaqui War (secured land in AZ)
    • Spanish-American War (secured Puerto Rico, Philippines, and gained independence for Cuba)
    • Philippine-American War (secured authority over these islands)
    • Occupation of Nicaragua (take over of unstable country for 2 decades)
    • Occupation of Haiti (take over of unstable country for 2 decades)
    • Occupation of the Dominican-Republic (take over of unstable country for a decade)
    • World War I (resulted in Wilsonian Democracy as the new US foreign policy; precedent for the UN hashed out)
    • World War II (US and USSR become Superpower; Hitler and Tojo defeated; UN established)
    • Korean War (Technically a US defeat, but at least South Korea was saved from Communism)
    • Vietnam War (US defeat, resulted in Communist takeover of all of Vietnam)
    • Intervention in Lebanon (technically a defeat for US and allies; US pulls troops after barrack bombing)
    • Invasion of Grenada (Military dictator deposed)
    • Invasion of Panama (dictator deposed)
    • Cold War (General indirect warfare against the USSR, resulting in a worldwide military buildup for almost half a century)
    • Gulf War (Iraq thrown out of Kuwait)
    • Intervention in Haiti (reinstates leader removed during coup)
    • Intervention in former Yugoslavia (eventually results in removing Slobodan Milosevic)
    • War in Afghanistan (Bin Laden killed for 9-11 attacks, but Taliban retakes the country on US withdraw after two decades)
    • Iraq War (Saddam overthrown, but region becomes destabilized, resulting in ISIS)
    • War on Terror (General worldwide attack on terrorist organizations in the Eastern Hemisphere)
    • Intervention in Arab Spring (Resulted in Revolutions mostly in Northern Africa, overthrow of Gadaffi, but destabilized region, helped create Syrian Civil War)
    • War on ISIS (Saw the death of their first Caliph, reduced the spread of ISIS)

1 hour ago, Patine said:

When you say, "Occupation of Nicaragua," do you mean William Walker's Filibuster War? Because that was actually just a bunch of American, British, and German mercenaries, adventurers, and troublemakers in cahoots with one of two main Nicaraguan political parties of the day acting of their own accord, with tacit recognition by Pierce, and thus wouldn't really count here. Or are you referring to another event.

No. This was an official use of US troops under Wilson. 

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Couldn’t really answer as I don’t know every detail of every war — I haven’t even heard of some of these before.  

Same. Some of my votes for the early wars are to be taken with a grain. I know some of the Native American Wars but not all. 

• Like 1

Also shocked by the low support WW1 has. Maybe we have a bunch of "He kept us out of war." People here. 😛

All kidding asides really, I expected full support on at least the Revolution, Civil War, and both World Wars. 

I'll admit the causes of world war one were utterly stupid, and it was an all time low for humanity... but by the time so many nations were involved, it was clearly a worthy fight to join and stop the Central Powers. 

If we didnt stop them who knows where Fascism would've risen during the Depression? Perhaps France...

• Like 2

I understand why there is a different vote between WW1 and WW2

In WW1 the US were not essential because germans were on an internal collapse by 1918 because of the french and british naval blockade (which they tried to use back in 1940)

In WW2 however the US were essential. Without supplies they sent to the USSR it may have collapsed and let the nazi reich becomes the 1st worldwide power, and without makng a military intervention, the whole europe could have falled under the Soviet rule

For the civil war I do believe that this war was bound to happen, several compromises through decades tried to prevent a war but this could just explode at a moment.

2 hours ago, Pringles said:

Also shocked by the low support WW1 has. Maybe we have a bunch of "He kept us out of war." People here. 😛

All kidding asides really, I expected full support on at least the Revolution, Civil War, and both World Wars. 

I'll admit the causes of world war one were utterly stupid, and it was an all time low for humanity... but by the time so many nations were involved, it was clearly a worthy fight to join and stop the Central Powers. 

If we didnt stop them who knows where Fascism would've risen during the Depression? Perhaps France...

As french I do believe that without the US intervention here is what would have likely happened in WW1 :

-France would have likely entered Berlin by the end or the middle of 1919 (there were several marshals and generals who were wishing to go to Berlin, US and UK were moderates in the german case)

-Bavaria and maybe (I am not sure of the second) Wurttemberg would have likely been forced to go back as independent states

-France may have annexed the region around the Sarre in addition of retaking Alsace Moselle

UK and the US played a very important role in reducing french claims over germany, because the country was agressively into revenge since 1871

Also Wilson played a very important role into redrawing Europe around nationalities, and I actually believe that he is not enough credited for his foreign policy which was good, who knows if Republicans in Congress at that time had not blocked his internationalism efforts?

13 minutes ago, Edouard said:

As french I do believe that without the US intervention here is what would have likely happened in WW1 :

-France would have likely entered Berlin by the end or the middle of 1919 (there were several marshals and generals who were wishing to go to Berlin, US and UK were moderates in the german case)

-Bavaria and maybe (I am not sure of the second) Wurttemberg would have likely been forced to go back as independent states

-France may have annexed the region around the Sarre in addition of retaking Alsace Moselle

UK and the US played a very important role in reducing french claims over germany, because the country was agressively into revenge since 1871

Also Wilson played a very important role into redrawing Europe around nationalities, and I actually believe that he is not enough credited for his foreign policy which was good, who knows if Republicans in Congress at that time had not blocked his internationalism efforts?

If this scenario happens, I wonder how bitter the Germans would be, what the economic implications would be, and what a certain man with a mustache who used to be a painter & WWI veteran would do...

I am generally against military action but i support it in 3 scenarios:

1.Early stages of US history when wars were tool to guarantee our indenpence and expand our Union

2.Fight against dark political forces(Civil War against Confederacy,WW2 against Nazis,Cold War against totalitarian communists)

3.To prevent a bad actor from committing genocide(like Milosevic) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rodja said:

I am generally against military action but i support it in 3 scenarios:

1.Early stages of US history when wars were tool to guarantee our indenpence and expand our Union

2.Fight against dark political forces(Civil War against Confederacy,WW2 against Nazis,Cold War against totalitarian communists)

3.To prevent a bad actor from committing genocide(like Milosevic) 

I'm mostly in agreement with you. The only difference is I opposed the Cold War, although I disapprove of totalitarian communists. 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

There was a lot of playing favourites in terms of pursuing war crimes. Serb war crimes were immensely highlighted, but Bosniak and Kosovar war crimes (which were significant in number) largely had a blind eye turned to them, and only a token number of Croat war criminals (whose crimes rivaled the Serbs) faced trial, or were even indicted in the ICT-Y.

Yes there were criminals on both sides. However, Milosevic committed by far the most in Kosovo specifically, which is where we intervened in. It doesn't change the fact that these nations deserved autonomy. 

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Or that Tudjman's Government and Military command in Croatia and radical Kosovar militia leaders should have also faced trial, even if their countries got independence. And Kosovar militia atrocities against Serb civilian settlements in Kosovo were underreported in the media at the time...

I never disputed your first point. As for the second one... Or that international, Serbian, and Albanian organizations have all been involved in finding the atrocity sites and dialoguing them for almost two decades now...

1 hour ago, Hestia said:

Whoever didn't select the Civil War...has some explaining to do, let's just say...

"Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, Old times dar am not forgotten, Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land"

Edited by Cenzonico
God English class be boring
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

"Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, Old times dar am not forgotten, Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land"

Away down South in the land of traitors,
Rattlesnakes and alligators,
Right away, come away, right away, come away...