The Political Lounge

Would You Support Welcoming Afghan refugees into your community?

vcczar

Would You Support Welcoming Afghan refugees into your community?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support making your community a safe haven for 1,000 Afghan refugees?

• Yes, assuming they are not connected to a terrorist organization.
    • No, (please give reason below)

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

There was an Afghan-Canadian family who ran a muffins kiosk in the small I frequent (who were connected by a marriage and had joint small business ties to a Muslim-Indian-Canadian family who ran a pasta kiosk. They seemed like pretty decent people.

Awesome. Don’t forget to take the poll. 

Absolutely. Granted, my "community" has a population of 6,000, so I assume we'll be looking at a broader area here 😛. In scenarios in which a horrible group like the Taliban takes over, it should be our duty as a nation to take in those who are suffering and need shelter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Before I do, I must ask, in all fairness, how broad of the term, "community," do you mean for 1000 refugees. Many people around the area I live, while certainly not a, "whitewashed," community by any measure (it's quite diverse, actually), is dangerously low on vacancy. Many major Canadian cities, are in a housing and rental crunch, and a high homelessness rate, at the moment, and I'd hate to see such refugees get checked into some horrible flapjack flophouse complex that would be quickly underfunded and forgotten.

By community, I mean your city or neighborhood. City, if no room in your neighborhood. I’ll allow for suburbs. 

4 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'm in the suburbs of Omaha, there's not exactly room even if there is plenty of jobs (low income unfortunately), there's not exactly room. Not to mention inflation has already raised prices here on everything and I think that would only increase it.

Though I will say there is probably areas in central and western Nebraska that could likely use the increased population and if they'd take the low income jobs probably a good number of those to be had.

10 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'm in the suburbs of Omaha, there's not exactly room even if there is plenty of jobs (low income unfortunately), there's not exactly room. Not to mention inflation has already raised prices here on everything and I think that would only increase it.

West side of Omaha has room to grow

7 minutes ago, Hestia said:

West side of Omaha has room to grow

This is true but the cost of living in West Omaha and the towns they are annexing is insane. My uncle lives in Elkhorn and I couldn't even imagine.

The suburban town I live in has room to grow westward and they are but the houses they are building I could only dream of affording. Even the apartments are crazy right now.

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

This is true but the cost of living in West Omaha and the towns they are annexing is insane. My uncle lives in Elkhorn and I couldn't even imagine.

The suburban town I live in has room to grow westward and they are but the houses they are building I could only dream of affording. Even the apartments are crazy right now.

Yeah, but I assume as refugees they may get some sort of reduced price or government housing.

Somethings gotta happen about this housing market. 

we need another crash 😛

Nah but for real, houses are outrageous. South is the only decent area where you can get them and by the time I'm fully moving out I may be in an apartment. Just depends on what I can afford here and potentially elsewhere. Another reason why I refuse to live in cities tbh. 

I don’t like living in high population density areas, so it depends on how we’re defining community. I’d be bit uncomfortable to have 1000 new neighbors, and there’s also the fact that there’s simply nowhere to put them. However if we’re talking the entire state of WV, then, well heck send as many as you can, gods know we need the people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Absolutely. America is the greatest nation in the world and we are the leader of the Free World. We need to act like it in every situation, especially those in which refugees have been denied liberty.

After all, if rights come from God not from government, who is the American government to deny *any* of his children those rights via draconian immigration policies. Either were the freest nation or we’re not, I say we are and welcome to Savannah.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Dobs said:

Absolutely. America is the greatest nation in the world and we are the leader of the Free World. We need to act like it in every situation, especially those in which refugees have been denied liberty.

After all, if rights come from God not from government, who is the American government to deny *any* of his children those rights via draconian immigration policies. Either were the freest nation or we’re not, I say we are and welcome to Savannah.

Based af. 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.“ and whatnot

15 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Based af. 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.“ and whatnot

Give to me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free.

• Like 2
  • Based 1