The Political Lounge

Introducing Based Emoji

DakotaHale

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

All you danged whipper snappers with your hip-hop language and your whatjits.

Yeah, I'm not completely sure what "based" is, but I get the general gist of it, so I'm okay with it. I'm just trying to think of what our based-like words were for the late 1990s early 2000s that older people would have been clueless about. Maybe "bad" meaning "good" and "sick" not meaning sick or something like that. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

This, "based," term seems to be a pop cultural phrase for attempting to couch subjective opinionated approval as objective fact, insofar as I can gather. That kind of disingenuous tomfoolery must be opposed to all who value frank and honest discourse.

My convictions of finding overuse of emotes to the point of obnoxiousness, and my feeling of being subtly mocked, must make me object.

This is my favorite Patine post of the week! 

• Based 2

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I'm not completely sure what "based" is, but I get the general gist of it, so I'm okay with it. I'm just trying to think of what our based-like words were for the late 1990s early 2000s that older people would have been clueless about. Maybe "bad" meaning "good" and "sick" not meaning sick or something like that. 

21 minutes ago, Patine said:

This, "based," term seems to be a pop cultural phrase for attempting to couch subjective opinionated approval as objective fact, insofar as I can gather. That kind of disingenuous tomfoolery must be opposed to all who value frank and honest discourse.

My convictions of finding overuse of emotes to the point of obnoxiousness, and my feeling of being subtly mocked, must make me object.

I’m aware it can have other meanings in other contexts, but on this forum I usually just take it to mean a combination of “cool” and “I agree.”

• Agree 2
  • Based 3

5 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Let's test this one out a few days and see if it sticks. I expect it to mostly be used by the younger people here. Only gives +1 at the moment, similar to like and thanks and laugh.

I thought it would have 2 points + limited use.

10 hours ago, Timur said:

I thought it would have 2 points + limited use.

That's the plan eventually. Still trying to figure out how to do so, I think I remember seeing the ability to limit certain emotes but I can't seem to find it at the moment, so temporarily it is functioning as a 'like' button.

• Like 1