The Political Lounge

If you were President 2021

vcczar

If you were President 2021  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  2. 2. Would you end the state of national emergency at the border with Mexico?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  3. 3. Would you rejoin the World Health Organization (WHO)?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  4. 4. Would you institute a COVID mask mandate on federal property?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  5. 5. Would you revoke permits for construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  6. 6. Would you end support for the Saudi-led bombing campaign in Yemen?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  7. 7. Would you sign the $1.9 trillion economic stimulus relief package aimed at COVID Recession Revovery?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • Only if it seems like my veto will be overridden
    • No, even if I'm overridden
  8. 8. Would you sign the bill officially making Juneteenth a federal holiday?

• Yes (Biden's response)
  9. 9. Would you sign the upcoming $1 trillion dollar Infrastructure bill?

• Yes (Biden's intent)
  10. 10. Would you sign a bill canceling student loan debt?

• Yes, all student loan debt
    • Only up to $50,000 per debtor
    • Only up to $10,000 per debtor (Biden's considered compromise)
    • Another proposal (mention below)
    • I'll only sign a student loan debt bill if it seems my veto will be overriden
  11. 11. Would you follow the Trump-Taliban Agreement of 2020 and withdraw troops from Afghanistan by a 2021 deadline?

• Yes (Biden's response)
    • No
    • Other (mention below)
  12. 12. If you agreed to the above withdraw, check all below that apply.

• I didn't vote to withdraw the troops
    • I would increase the number of troops from Trump's skeleton army in preparation of removing troops and allied Afghani refugees.
    • I would renegotiate with the Taliban that they can enter Kabul only after everyone on our list is evacuated. If they enter beforehand, then the war will continue at full force.
    • I would ignore the refugees and just bring the troops home.
    • I would increase arms, ammunition, supplies, and paychecks for Afghani soldiers to protect Kabul from the Taliban until everyone is evacuate. They will be aware of a big bonus paycheck if they are successful to encourage them from bailing on their guns and on the city.
    • Other (mention below)
  13. 13. If, regardless of your Afghanistan responses, the situation over there goes way down hill because of your response, do you....

• Take the blame.
    • Both take the blame and point fingers (Biden's response)
    • Refuse to take the blame but point fingers.
  14. 14. If your Afghanistan situation was a fiasco (regardless of how you responded) and your approval is sliding to almost "Great approval for Trump" levels, how do you increase your party's chances for Midterms?

• I will resign as I think my VP will have a better shot at saving the party.
    • I will try to redeem myself through surpassing expectations on getting refugees evacuated.
    • I will change my response on Afghanistan (either withdrawing or re-entering the war)
    • I will try to dilute my failure by scoring a foreign policy success of equivalent magnitude against Russia, China, ISIS, or Syria ASAP.
    • I will hope that signing the Infrastructure bill will make up for it.
    • I will try to dilute the failure by proposing and signing exciting new domestic policies
    • I will focus on the economy and hope that voters will care more about the economy than Afghanistan in 2022.
    • I will focus on COVID containment and eradication and hope that voters will care more about COVID ending than Afghanistan in 2022.
    • I'll just hope that people lose interest and won't care about Afghanistan enough for attack ads to do any damage in 2022.
    • Other (mention below)

For #10: Student Debt. I'd propose the following compromise:

• Permanent 0% interest rate on federal student loans, including all future student loans. 
  • For those eligible for income-based repayment only: Elimination of student debt accrued from interest. 
    • Thus if someone was forced to take out $45,000 in student debt but owes $60,000 because of interest, that student debtor would have $15,000 canceled, leaving them at the $45,000 mark, which can continue to be paid off with income-based repayment with no fear of the amount increasing. 
  • Automatic cancelation of all student debt after 10-years of reliable payment of debt. This also goes for income-based repayments. 
  • Cancellation of student debt for those unable to work because of major injury or illness.
  • Cancellation of student debt for those who work for the federal government or other federally-endorsed full-time community service for 5 years.

I think the above works because it works for all future generations as well. It isn't just, "Oh you should have taken your loans out before the cancellation vote."

More importantly, it helps the many student debtors who are stuck in situation like this:

• Takes out $60,000 in student loans for a BA, MA, and PhD. Went to schools in small college towns without much available work. 
  • Was unable to find work that could easily pay this off, possibly because of injury or illness. 
  • Has reliably made income-based repayments, and has paid $100,000, but still owes $60,000 all because of interest. Meaning they are headed the direction of paying $200,000 for a $60,000 education. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 I'm a little shocked at your #13 response. I'd expect that from some on here but not from you. I thought you were a much better person than that. 

Thank you for assuming that. In fact I'd be convinced myself that I am not the one to blame because I would have taken a much harsher stance on the Taliban. I had continuously worked to raise the military's preparedness and force so they had the power to take these terrorists out in a short period of time, especially when they try to take territory. Under my watch the Taliban would not have a single foothold and I hadn't given them an inch. If the situation still deteriorates it can't be due to my response because you couldn't take a harsher stance on them. I believe you can't deal differently with such groups and if this is not enough, I don't know what is. 

1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Thank you for assuming that. In fact I'd be convinced myself that I am not the one to blame because I would have taken a much harsher stance on the Taliban. I had continuously worked to raise the military's preparedness and force so they had the power to take these terrorists out in a short period of time, especially when they try to take territory. Under my watch the Taliban would not have a single foothold and I hadn't given them an inch. If the situation still deteriorates it can't be due to my response because you couldn't take a harsher stance on them. I believe you can't deal differently with such groups and if this is not enough, I don't know what is. 

Yeah, but you will still have failed to have contained the fallout due to you breaking with the withdraw agreement. It will appear as if you hadn't prepared effectively enough for a reaction to doing so. In some ways, it is likely something failed you. By not taking some blame, you're going to come off as Trumpian rather than presidential. There is an option to both take blame and point fingers. Basically, just pointing fingers makes one appear as a corrupt, dishonest politician and not as a leader. 

4 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I mean I am willing to take responsibility if I am clearly at fault, but if I hold off the Taliban with all I have and even that's not enough... what else can I do? 

There's always more that could have been done. There's also other factors. Did you appoint the best people to carry out all these tasks. Maybe you didn't, for example. Maybe you misjudged the strategies presented to you. Etc. 

For most of my "other" responses, I'd simply need to study the issue more first and talk with my advisors before forming an opinion because I don't claim to be an expert on all things everywhere -- I have an 8 year old kid, so my knowledge of the universe beyond my family, work, friends and a hobby or two drops off sharply around mid-way through 2013. Haha.

• Like 2
  • Based 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

"I haven't failed at all. Others have just failed, or declined, to hand me my well-deserved victory on a silver platter and acknowledge my supremacy,"

-A Saturday Morning Cartoon villain whose name eludes me. 😛

Don’t forget to take the poll

For student loans, I am sympathetic to an argument that colleges/universities are partially to blame for the situation due to deceptive practices. Using some of their endowments to repay some loans could be a part of a broader reform (such as the elimination of a lot of the free money programs, federal loans, grants, etc.).

18 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

For student loans, I am sympathetic to an argument that colleges/universities are partially to blame for the situation due to deceptive practices. Using some of their endowments to repay some loans could be a part of a broader reform (such as the elimination of a lot of the free money programs, federal loans, grants, etc.).

The issue is what do plan to do for students who want to go to college but can’t afford to go without grants and loans? I assume you don’t favor free university and colleges. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

The issue is what do plan to do for students who want to go to college but can’t afford to go without grants and loans? I assume you don’t favor free university and colleges. 

Getting rid of the free money will force colleges/universities to be more competitive in the pricing. They won’t be free to jack up tuition and room/board costs like they have the last 2 decades.

Under the current policies, the middle class is crushed because they don’t have access (or little of it) to grants, but they still have to suffer from the higher prices they cause.

Alternatively, community college and online school are becoming more of an option these days to keep costs down.

And it’s also time to start putting more of an emphasis on alternative methods of education (trade school, technical school, etc.), which are much more affordable right now.

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Getting rid of the free money will force colleges/universities to be more competitive in the pricing. They won’t be free to jack up tuition and room/board costs like they have the last 2 decades.

Under the current policies, the middle class is crushed because they don’t have access (or little of it) to grants, but they still have to suffer from the higher prices they cause.

Alternatively, community college and online school are becoming more of an option these days to keep costs down.

And it’s also time to start putting more of an emphasis on alternative methods of education (trade school, technical school, etc.), which are much more affordable right now.

There’s a minority of students who would have to go for free, whether by loans, grants, or free education. There wouldn’t be a way for them to pay. They might be a single mom with no help from their parents. She’s working and going to school but the money just covers the rent and the kids. She’s trying to get a degree to get better work. 

The system you propose is going to create a class of people that can’t access higher education, even if prices are more competitive. 

I think a compromise would be a Federal income-based tuition payment system. The person in my example might be eligible for college at a $50/mo rate or something. Someone else might be paying $150/mo. Someone else even more. Colleges and universities will not be told in advance if their student is eligible for this plan so as to not bias acceptance. 

The idea of cutting government to let prices  fall doesn’t work if it creates less coverage than the government program. That is, if more people are left out of something after the program is removed. That’s unacceptable. A better alternative is needed, likely another program. 

2 hours ago, pilight said:

Positions of power tend to attract people who want to abuse it

Money is the Mc-mansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn’t see the difference.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Patine said:

He didn't use the word, "money," there. Not all abuse of power is for monetary (or other similar) gain.

And besides, "the standing stone of power," only dominates the horizon till some jackass knocks it down to start building their own in it's place. That's historical (and) human nature.

It's just a quote from House of Cards. I don't need you jumping all over my ass over it. 

And the quote is still relevant as "abusing power" is not always the reason why someone is attracted to such a position. Even if Frank Underwood is hypocritical in his own viewpoint. 

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

I haven't watched more than bits and pieces of the show, so I was unaware it was a quote, and not your own innovation.

I'm a little conflicted on whether or not you'd like to watch that show. 

I think you might like Alpha House more. It's a comedy, satire of government. I actually like it slightly more than Veep because it has some redeeming characters in it and Veep doesn't. House of Cards doesn't have any redeeming characters either, and isn't a satire. It's just trying to be realistic but dystopian (in a way). However, after Trump, House of Cards seems tame. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm a little conflicted on whether or not you'd like to watch that show. 

I think you might like Alpha House more. It's a comedy, satire of government. I actually like it slightly more than Veep because it has some redeeming characters in it and Veep doesn't. House of Cards doesn't have any redeeming characters either, and isn't a satire. It's just trying to be realistic but dystopian (in a way). However, after Trump, House of Cards seems tame. 

Some people wouldn't be able to handle the show... 😛

But tbh, I think one of the weird things is that throughout the show, the viewer constantly witnesses everything Frank does. Everything bad especially. Yet you still find yourself rooting for him, if that makes sense.

It's a great show, and it's some of the best acting ever. Even if Kevin Spacey is a bit uhh... you know, like our friend Cuomo. 😛

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

I wouldn't assume (and make an, "ass out u and me," as my mother used to say when I was in high school, and then forgot, or claimed to forget, she ever uttered those words when I reiterated them to her a few years ago) that I couldn't HANDLE the show, as I watched some pretty questionable, deep, and intense media entertainment and quite enjoyed it. There are OTHER reasons I haven't gotten around to watching that program, and others recommended to me, but you would almost certainly be disappointed at being dismounted from your high horse at the REAL mundanity of such reasons in my busy lifestyle. 😉

Hopefully you aren't busy enough so you can take the poll! 😛 

Edited by Pringles
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pringles said:

Money is the Mc-mansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn’t see the difference.

I've had power and little money.  It's the worst.

Now I have money and little power and that's what everyone should be striving for as they get older.  Money gives you freedom, but so does having little power and thus little that you're responsible for.  Money + no power = freedom + freedom. ;c)

• Based 2

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I've had power and little money.  It's the worst.

Now I have money and little power and that's what everyone should be striving for as they get older.  Money gives you freedom, but so does having little power and thus little that you're responsible for.  Money + no power = freedom + freedom. ;c)

Money may not buy you total happiness but in my mind... it sure as hell helps. 😛 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Money may not buy you total happiness but in my mind... it sure as hell helps. 😛 

Haha — money does buy happiness, up to a point.  There was a study that made the rounds a few years ago that showed at what point more money stopped bringing more happiness.  I think the average across the country was 75k.  On average, maximum happiness in the US costs 75k.  If you make 50k and then get 75k, it will significantly increase your happiness long term.  But if you make 100k and then get 125k, there’s no comparable increase in happiness.

For me, that’s been totally true.  I used to be homeless and now I’m bringing home around 130k a year.  There’s no question about it: 130k me is happier than homeless me was.  

But if you offered me a job paying one million a year...I’d have a lot of questions before I’d accept.  I’ve found a way to have a pretty stress free life while still providing for my family.  I’d imagine that million dollar job brings more stress though, and that’s not worth it to me.  I’m happy where I am.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

There’s a minority of students who would have to go for free, whether by loans, grants, or free education. There wouldn’t be a way for them to pay. They might be a single mom with no help from their parents. She’s working and going to school but the money just covers the rent and the kids. She’s trying to get a degree to get better work. 

The system you propose is going to create a class of people that can’t access higher education, even if prices are more competitive. 

I think a compromise would be a Federal income-based tuition payment system. The person in my example might be eligible for college at a $50/mo rate or something. Someone else might be paying $150/mo. Someone else even more. Colleges and universities will not be told in advance if their student is eligible for this plan so as to not bias acceptance. 

The idea of cutting government to let prices  fall doesn’t work if it creates less coverage than the government program. That is, if more people are left out of something after the program is removed. That’s unacceptable. A better alternative is needed, likely another program. 

Your idea for a repayment system does not fix the problem of colleges/universities having no incentive to keep their costs down. So costs will continue to skyrocket, especially for those who fall just outside of such a plan (who would be most hurt). If colleges/universities are not able to take advantage of the free money that government hands out to students (the worst being easy lines of credit), they would be forced to make things more affordable. Introducing/encouraging competing options would further make pricing more competitive. Not everyone needs to go to a 4 year university. In fact, pumping kids through the university system reduces the benefits of having a bachelor's degree (thus reducing monetary gains while still taking on the costs).

Changing the narrative to encourage community college attendance (to lower financial costs), to encourage part time attendance (as well as online) to allow people to work at the same time, to encourage those who are good with their hands to go to technical/trade school, to reduce the stigma against those who don't go the traditional 4 year college route, to make it known that a massive amount of private scholarships exist, etc. would provide more kids with more opportunities for furthering their educations at a much more affordable price (thus less debt).