The Political Lounge

Pfizer now FDA approved

Hestia

30 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The FDA was under immense political pressure to approve. No way they weren't gonna approve.

However, the long term safety (side effects, longevity, etc.) is still completely unknown.

The FDA does what it wants. If you remember, the J&J shot, when it was being approved/had been approved for emergency use, there was huge pressure for them to not suspend using it/issue the warning, but they did it anyway. The FDA is one of the finest institutions in the world for health - and one of the most careful too, sometimes too careful for some. But I think that's a plus, in the long term.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The FDA was under immense political pressure to approve. No way they weren't gonna approve.

However, the long term safety (side effects, longevity, etc.) is still completely unknown.

They've been under "immense political pressure" since December if not earlier.   Why suddenly cave now?  What changed, from your perspective?

You decided something months and months ago, and it turned out you were wrong, and now literally nothing can happen that will get you to admit that you made a mistake and need to change your mind now.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, MrPotatoTed said:

They've been under "immense political pressure" since December if not earlier.   Why suddenly cave now?  What changed, from your perspective?

You decided something months and months ago, and it turned out you were wrong, and now literally nothing can happen that will get you to admit that you made a mistake and need to change your mind now.

What was I wrong about? I don't even know what you are referring to. My claims of it being a new product with no long term research are of fact not speculation.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:34 PM, Hestia said:

The FDA does what it wants. If you remember, the J&J shot, when it was being approved/had been approved for emergency use, there was huge pressure for them to not suspend using it/issue the warning, but they did it anyway. The FDA is one of the finest institutions in the world for health - and one of the most careful too, sometimes too careful for some. But I think that's a plus, in the long term.

Then why hasn't the FDA come out in favor of medical marijuana? Shouldn't be too difficult if they are an independent institution.

And like Patine mentioned, the FDA endorsed cigarettes. Not exactly a show of brilliance.

The we have this very recent example. Maybe the aren't so independent after all.

FDA officials asked to step down after contentious Alzheimer’s drug approval | Ars Technica

8 hours ago, pilight said:

You make it sound as if developing vaccines at "warp speed" is a bad thing

If people want to take it, fine by me. That's their decision. If you want to force someone to take it, absolutely not fine by me.

I am skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and would rather see what happens long term. These companies don't exactly have a stellar track record in terms of ethics.

I will get the AstraZeneca or maybe the J&J one when it gets full FDA approval. I just don’t know what to think about the long term effects of mRNA vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) over the long term considering these are the first ever licensed for human use. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hestia said:

Agreed. I'd say a month or so for Moderna, maybe another one-three months for J&J.

J&J treated me well, outside of a 101.8 fever for the next day. I feel confident that with the vaccine + antibodies from actually having COVID already that I’m safe going on on campus and having drinks at networking events.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:58 PM, jvikings1 said:

If people want to take it, fine by me. That's their decision. If you want to force someone to take it, absolutely not fine by me.

I am skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and would rather see what happens long term. These companies don't exactly have a stellar track record in terms of ethics.

What would it take for you to get a covid vaccine? Waiting a set amount of years to see if anything happens? A more traditional-type vaccine getting approved? Something else?

On 8/28/2021 at 5:23 PM, Eugene said:

What would it take for you to get a covid vaccine? Waiting a set amount of years to see if anything happens? A more traditional-type vaccine getting approved? Something else?

I won't even consider it under current circumstances. For one, the J&J shot uses fetal cell lines, something I will not endorse. As for the mRNA ones, I want to see independent data over the course of years of study. Right now, independent data is impossible because of the censorship of those who go against the popular narrative (one that has constantly shifted all over the place since the start of this).

Also, as long as the tyrants in charge use it as a bargaining chip to gain compliance, I will resist out of principle of not giving them what they want, no matter how safe the things are proven.

• Haha 1