The Political Lounge

Lithuania Challenges China

Hestia

No offense to any independence movements... but when we get to the point that America starts looking like that it just becomes a little silly. 😛

Alaskan Independence and New England Independence are basically joke movements anyways so... 😛 

Go ahead, crucify me, I said it. 😛 

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although most of the independence movements up there in the U.S., except maybe Hawa'i, Puerto Rico, and Lakotah, are just partisan and regional land grabs whose popularity depends on who runs The Swamp at the time, the modern U.S. is not nearly as unified politically, socially, or culturally as it was even 20 years ago, and is near (not at, but near, relatively-speaking) a point of violently tearing itself apart not seen since 1850's and early 1860's, the dividing lines are not nearly so clear as the Mason-Dixon Line, or even clearly along State borders.

Yeah I can understand Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Lakota. Even though I think PR especially should be admitted as a state. But those are movements I can at least understand, even if disagreeing. The movements I mentioned are just troll movements with no basis. I'm all for nations wanting to become independent, especially if they are being actively oppressed. But can they survive as a nation should also be a part of the equation. Alaska can't survive on it's own lol, unless they become a corporate safe haven for Haliburton. That'll be their only source of income besides fish. 😛 

And yeah you're right in a way about the division in America. It's not just the south anymore. It's honestly becoming rural vs urban in some ways, state wide it's similar to an election map. Crazy really. 

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

A guy who lives just across the street from me is a candidate and party executive member of a minor Alberta Separatist Party that's changed it's official name four times now.

Sometimes I wonder if people legitimately have anything better to do... some people just look for trouble, trouble that can potentially become bad that is. Thankfully he's in such a miniscule minority with no sway whatsoever. 😛 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Such completely partisan and unsustainable secessionist movements are here, too. A guy who lives just across the street from me is a candidate and party executive member of a minor Alberta Separatist Party that's changed it's official name four times now.

I've got a Canadian friend from college who support Albertan secession because he hates Trudeau so much. It seems like that isn't uncommon from what he's told me.