The Political Lounge

Welcome To The Future! A Hands-Off All-CPU Playthrough 2022 - 2072

23 minutes ago, Timur said:

I misworded my post. I meant that there are many current state legislators, city councillors, etc. who could be future politicians & could be options if you want to make future politicians...

Thanks!  Definitely true, but almost impossible to get any meaningful information on them at a glance -- what is their ideology, their background, their specialties...most don't have a wikipedia page.  Not impossible, just the investment of time wouldn't be worth it for the purpose of this playtest.  The game does have the ability to randomly generate young and potentially upcoming statesmen to simulate this, which is one of the things I'll be testing out in this playthrough in addition to how well the CPU players play against each other.  This will be the first time we've tried a game without multiple human players able to negotiate with each other in a manner that the CPU cannot.

Made it to 336/874: Kelly Ayotte.

I'm going to add myself (with low/no stats, but heading into my fourth term in the Admin career track, an accurate representation of where I am in my career).  I'm also going to add my daughter as a draftee when she would be 25, also with no stats and see where the career track takes her.

And I'm going to add living ex-Presidents back into the game -- but give every President who either served two terms or hasn't been in office for more than 20 years a special job called "Ex President".  This prohibits them from taking any job, but gives them Kingmaker and they can choose their proteges from anywhere in the country (not limited to the President's homestate).  I mostly just wanted them in to see when they would die, but then came up with this use for them.  Trump of coruse remains as a normal politician, eligible to run again for President if he so chooses.

And I'm going to add a certain number of randomly generated statesmen at the beginning.  Don't know how many...maybe a hundred?  

4 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

And I'm going to add living ex-Presidents back into the game -- but give every President who either served two terms or hasn't been in office for more than 20 years a special job called "Ex President".  This prohibits them from taking any job, but gives them Kingmaker and they can choose their proteges from anywhere in the country (not limited to the President's homestate).  I mostly just wanted them in to see when they would die, but then came up with this use for them.

That's awesome, I couldn't think of a better scenario than Bush becoming Senator of TX (okay you said prohibiting any job, but anyway). Could be nice in the final game as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Made it to 336/874: Kelly Ayotte.

I'm going to add myself (with low/no stats, but heading into my fourth term in the Admin career track, an accurate representation of where I am in my career).  I'm also going to add my daughter as a draftee when she would be 25, also with no stats and see where the career track takes her.

And I'm going to add living ex-Presidents back into the game -- but give every President who either served two terms or hasn't been in office for more than 20 years a special job called "Ex President".  This prohibits them from taking any job, but gives them Kingmaker and they can choose their proteges from anywhere in the country (not limited to the President's homestate).  I mostly just wanted them in to see when they would die, but then came up with this use for them.  Trump of coruse remains as a normal politician, eligible to run again for President if he so chooses.

And I'm going to add a certain number of randomly generated statesmen at the beginning.  Don't know how many...maybe a hundred?  

Ex-President could be something interesting to explore for actual playthroughs, come to think of it. It would also mean that they count as a Kingmaker for purpose of choosing a party leader which is accurate, showing their lasting power in the party. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Ex-President could be something interesting to explore for actual playthroughs, come to think of it. It would also mean that they count as a Kingmaker for purpose of choosing a party leader which is accurate, showing their lasting power in the party. 

True!  Though they might be a waste as faction leader (a prereq for party leader) as their various gains from being faction leader wouldn't help them get any other offices.

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

True!  Though they might be a waste as faction leader (a prereq for party leader) as their various gains from being faction leader wouldn't help them get any other offices.

Party leader is determined by the overall number of Kingmakers, right? That's the soft influence I meant. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, MrPotatoTed said:

Reached 410/869 (not including the new ones I'm adding, which I've begun as well):  Al Sharpton

Only politician that I've seen three times in person, never on purpose. 1) NYC at the Bastille Day celebration in the Upper East Side. He was eating an ice cream cone and walking behind me. He was on the phone, "Where y'at?" Is all I heard him say. 2) Walking out of Arianna Huffington's office in NYC when I worked at Huffington Post. 3) and the only time I saw him thin--was when Joe Biden came into Philadelphia a couple of months ago to speak about voting rights.

• Like 2

Just now, vcczar said:

Only politician that I've seen three times in person, never on purpose. 1) NYC at the Bastille Day celebration in the Upper East Side. He was eating an ice cream cone and walking behind me. He was on the phone, "Where y'at?" Is all I heard him say. 2) Walking out of Arianna Huffington's office in NYC when I worked at Huffington Post. 3) and the only time I saw him thin--was when Joe Biden came into Philadelphia a couple of months ago to speak about voting rights.

Actually, I probably saw Sen. Krueger of TX 3 times or more. He taught one political science course a semester when I was in undergrad. I was a student worker in both the honors program and the philosophy department, and I remember seeing him walk in at least two times. The first time I saw him was during a symposium on whether or not we should go into Iraq. This was in 2002 or 2003. He was against intervention. My favorite professor, the late Dr. Pohl, was the military history professor. He was in favor of going into war in Iraq. I took 5 military history classes with him despite being a quasi-pacifist. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Actually, I probably saw Sen. Krueger of TX 3 times or more. He taught one political science course a semester when I was in undergrad. I was a student worker in both the honors program and the philosophy department, and I remember seeing him walk in at least two times. The first time I saw him was during a symposium on whether or not we should go into Iraq. This was in 2002 or 2003. He was against intervention. My favorite professor, the late Dr. Pohl, was the military history professor. He was in favor of going into war in Iraq. I took 5 military history classes with him despite being a quasi-pacifist. 

I met Kathleen Sebellius countless times when she was US Secretary of Health and Human Services, always in a professional capacity.  I worked with Arne Duncan when he was Secretary of Education and once with Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood as well.  All good people, though Secretary Sebelius intimidated the hell out of me.  I don't think I ever said two words to her despite us being in the same room and even at the same table so often that she likely must have wondered just who the hell I was.  Haha.

I've also met and worked with five VA Secretaries and 3 Secretaries of Defense.  

I was supposed to meet President Obama in the White House one day, for a meeting when I first started working at HHS.  But the shooting at the Aurora Colorado movie theater the night prior, so when I showed up the next morning he wasn't there as he'd left to console families, etc.  I never did end up meeting him.

But my favorite politician meeting was Rick Santorum, while he was running for re-election as Senator of Pennsylvania.

We were at a parade, I was a teenager, and Rick Santorum walks up and introduces himself to my parents and says he's running for re-election, he'd love to have our vote, etc.  

My dad jokingly responds, "Hi, I'm (my dad's name), I'm actually your opponent in this election."

Santorum didn't miss a beat. 

"Oh, I've met my opponent.  He's not nearly as good looking as you are."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I met Kathleen Sebellius countless times when she was US Secretary of Health and Human Services, always in a professional capacity.  I worked with Arne Duncan when he was Secretary of Education and once with Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood as well.  All good people, though Secretary Sebelius intimidated the hell out of me.  I don't think I ever said two words to her despite us being in the same room and even at the same table so often that she likely must have wondered just who the hell I was.  Haha.

I've also met and worked with five VA Secretaries and 3 Secretaries of Defense.  

I was supposed to meet President Obama in the White House one day, for a meeting when I first started working at HHS.  But the shooting at the Aurora Colorado movie theater the night prior, so when I showed up the next morning he wasn't there as he'd left to console families, etc.  I never did end up meeting him.

But my favorite politician meeting was Rick Santorum, while he was running for re-election as Senator of Pennsylvania.

We were at a parade, I was a teenager, and Rick Santorum walks up and introduces himself to my parents and says he's running for re-election, he'd love to have our vote, etc.  

My dad jokingly responds, "Hi, I'm (my dad's name), I'm actually your opponent in this election."

Santorum didn't miss a beat. 

"Oh, I've met my opponent.  He's not nearly as good looking as you are."

That's funny. 

I met Barack Obama in San Marcos, TX during the 2008 primaries, weeks before I moved to NYC. I volunteered to help in the event so I was in VIP section where he was shaking hands as he came off the campaign bus. US Rep Lloyd Doggett was with him. 

I also shook hands with Ted Kennedy that same week. His hand was like a fleshy doorknob. Joseph P Kennedy II was with him. Bill Clinton was also in town but I found out too late. 

First politician I ever met was Jerry Brown when he was running for president in 1992. He was in Dallas TX in the SMU student center. My dad and I just randomly walked into him. Strangely, I don't remember a crowd. He said something to me but I don't remember what it was. 

Saw Bernie Sanders and Nina Turner in Philadelphia in 2019. 

Saw Ron Paul with my Libertarian friends in 2013, but I left about 60% through the rally. He kept calling Pelosi a "Progressive" and I found that irritating. I kept telling my friends, "She's an establishment Democrat. That's liberal but not progressive." 

I feel like I'm forgetting some politicians I've seen. Oh, former Prime Minister Gordon Brown was at the Huff Post office once. I was usually in the office at night time, which is actually when Arianna Huffington was there the most, but that's when most guests weren't there. 

Oh, saw the Presidents of Peru and --I think--Dominican Republic. 

There may be others. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

That's funny. 

I met Barack Obama in San Marcos, TX during the 2008 primaries, weeks before I moved to NYC. I volunteered to help in the event so I was in VIP section where he was shaking hands as he came off the campaign bus. US Rep Lloyd Doggett was with him. 

I also shook hands with Ted Kennedy that same week. His hand was like a fleshy doorknob. Joseph P Kennedy II was with him. Bill Clinton was also in town but I found out too late. 

First politician I ever met was Jerry Brown when he was running for president in 1992. He was in Dallas TX in the SMU student center. My dad and I just randomly walked into him. Strangely, I don't remember a crowd. He said something to me but I don't remember what it was. 

Saw Bernie Sanders and Nina Turner in Philadelphia in 2019. 

Saw Ron Paul with my Libertarian friends in 2013, but I left about 60% through the rally. He kept calling Pelosi a "Progressive" and I found that irritating. I kept telling my friends, "She's an establishment Democrat. That's liberal but not progressive." 

I feel like I'm forgetting some politicians I've seen. Oh, former Prime Minister Gordon Brown was at the Huff Post office once. I was usually in the office at night time, which is actually when Arianna Huffington was there the most, but that's when most guests weren't there. 

Oh, saw the Presidents of Peru and --I think--Dominican Republic. 

There may be others. 

One more for me that I can recall.  I celebrated Christmas once in the home of Christopher Hill, while he was serving as the Ambassador to South Korea.  He'd go on to become Assistant Secretary of State and then Ambassador to Iraq, though our paths didn't cross again as he didn't arrive until about 7 months after I left Iraq.

• Like 1

Also, before his scandal, a reporter once called me in my capacity as a healthcare spokesman to ask for my reaction to a proposal that Senator Al Franken had made. 

I immediately flashed back on my childhood, watching Stuart Smiley looking into a mirror and saying "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."  I thought about how freaking weird BOTH of our lives had turned out.  That guy becoming a Senator was as unbelievable as the idea that I'd ever be important enough that my reaction to a Senator's proposal would be important news.  Haha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One idea I'm playing with:  Inserting a few celebrities who have never run for office, but feasibly could.  Tom Hanks, Mike Rowe, Jon Stewart, George Clooney, The Rock...a few more, but not too many.  Maybe giving them 1 Command and 1 Governing, so they could run for President or Governor.  Not sure yet.

12 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

One idea I'm playing with:  Inserting a few celebrities who have never run for office, but feasibly could.  Tom Hanks, Mike Rowe, Jon Stewart, George Clooney, The Rock...a few more, but not too many.  Maybe giving them 1 Command and 1 Governing, so they could run for President or Governor.  Not sure yet.

Mark Cuban?

• Like 1

Update:

The re-review of all of the 2022 statesman is actually going really quickly.  I'm pleasantly surprised. Ha.  Currently at 175 out of approximately 800.  I've added the living ex-presidents (who can only serve as a super-powered kingmaker, other than Trump who remains eligible to run again.)

As I've been doing the review, I've also been doing retirement rolls to see who still stays in the game.  Notably, Donald Trump should be automatically eliminated per the rules as he's 75 and unemployed...but he's clearly failed to fade away in real life, so I gave him "hale" to give him a 50/50 shot of sticking around during the retirement rolls.  Likewise, Hillary Clinton failed her retirement roll, but I still want to see when she dies in the game (just like why I added all the ex presidents) and gave her a special moniker for her alone, called "EX NOMINEE" which works just like ex president.  She can't do anything, her political career is over, but she can still influence things as a super kingmaker.  I also gave Donald Trump kingmaker, because he is.

I've already spoken to one person on the forum about this and he agreed to do so, but I'll open it up to a wider audience:  If anyone is interested in helping with various mundane tasks on the spreadsheet (figuring out what the industry levels should be for each state, term limits for each governor, etc) let me know.  Anyone who helps with a few tasks will be added into the game (with next to no skills, just like myself, but in the career track of your choosing).

@jvikings1 @SilentLiberty @WVProgressive @themiddlepolitical @vcczar @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Hestia @Rezi @Rodja @Pringles @Timur @Magnus Rex

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Update:

The re-review of all of the 2022 statesman is actually going really quickly.  I'm pleasantly surprised. Ha.  Currently at 175 out of approximately 800.  I've added the living ex-presidents (who can only serve as a super-powered kingmaker, other than Trump who remains eligible to run again.)

As I've been doing the review, I've also been doing retirement rolls to see who still stays in the game.  Notably, Donald Trump should be automatically eliminated per the rules as he's 75 and unemployed...but he's clearly failed to fade away in real life, so I gave him "hale" to give him a 50/50 shot of sticking around during the retirement rolls.  Likewise, Hillary Clinton failed her retirement roll, but I still want to see when she dies in the game (just like why I added all the ex presidents) and gave her a special moniker for her alone, called "EX NOMINEE" which works just like ex president.  She can't do anything, her political career is over, but she can still influence things as a super kingmaker.  I also gave Donald Trump kingmaker, because he is.

I've already spoken to one person on the forum about this and he agreed to do so, but I'll open it up to a wider audience:  If anyone is interested in helping with various mundane tasks on the forum (figuring out what the industry levels should be for each state, term limits for each governor, etc) let me know.  Anyone who helps with a few tasks will be added into the game (with next to no skills, just like myself, but in the career track of your choosing).

@jvikings1 @SilentLiberty @WVProgressive @themiddlepolitical @vcczar @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Hestia @Rezi @Rodja @Pringles @Timur

What career track are you putting yourself in? Private or administrative?

• Like 1