The Political Lounge

How Pro-Democracy Are You?

vcczar

How Pro-Democracy Are You?   

16 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a politicians which of these would you support both rhetorically and actively? [Check all that apply]

• Free elections and measures that safeguard them. This would include launching investigations in support of this. This probably also includes lenient ID laws for voting and holidays on voting days. Easy sign up for voting.
    • Fair elections and measures that safeguard them. This would include launching investigations in support of this. No shenanigans to make it harder for some voters to vote.
    • Protecting and Expanding political power to the people, supporting such things as referendum, recall, and initiative.
    • Protecting and Expanding Civil Rights/Liberties--women's rights, LGBT rights, minority rights, anti-hate crimes, immigration rights, voting rights, standard equality. etc.
    • Protecting and Expanding Freedom of the Press. This would include honest and open communication to the public by politicians.
    • Protecting and Expanding the peaceful transfer of power. This would include launching investigations in support of this.
    • Protecting and Expanding transparency and accountability. This would include audits.
    • Protecting and intervening abroad in instances of genocide or humanitarian crises.
    • Protecting and intervening abroad to topple authoritarian governments and instituting a democratic government.
    • Denouncing and disfavoring in word and deed governments led by authoritarians.
    • Fostering alliances, favoring trade deals, and etc with nations that are Pro-Democracy
    • Making a concerted effort to be the most Pro-Democratic nation in the world by learning from nation's that are more pro-Democratic in areas where we are weakest, democratically speaking.
    • Favoring an economic and fiscal policy that best allows for all of the above.
    • Appointing, electing, and supporting the appointment and elections of politicians that follow the Pro-Democracy principles above.
  2. 2. Which Major US Party Best Fulfills the Pro-Democracy principles above? (Certainly, some 3rd parties would be best at it, for the most part)

• Democrats
    • Republicans
    • Neither major party fulfills Pro-Democracy principles; Neither has clearly shown themselves to be better than the other, so I cannot pick either party.
  3. 3. Would the US be better off if everything in the list in Question 1 were much further along than they are today?

4. 4. Who would be best at getting the list from question 1 fulfilled in both the most efficient way and fulfilling way nationwide?

• Local governments because the Democracies start at home.
    • State governments because the local government might not have the resources or their local elites may favor a more "un-democratic" approach to maintain power.
    • Federal governments because the local and state governments might not have the resources or their local elites may favor a more "un-democratic" approach to maintain power.
    • A balance between all of these because, mainly because we need to make sure the country is equally pro-Democratic nationwide and some places may have fewer resources.
  5. 5. Does the US Constitution need to be updated to better allow the list from Question 1 to be better addressed?

• No. All of these are "Necessary and Proper" and the Congress can address them under the current rules.
    • Yes. Because the Constitution is very restrictive and clear in what the Federal Government can and can't do. If the country wants the Federal Government to lead these efforts, and not the states, they need to update the Constitution.
  6. 6. How many of the Pro-Democracy principles did you select in Question #1? See what kind of governmental leader you are:

• 0 - Totalitarian
    • 1-4 - Authoritarian
    • 5-6 - Closet Authoritarian
    • 7-9 - Limited Democracy
    • 10-13 - Pro-Democracy
    • 14 - Pro-Democracy Absolutist

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I notice you excluded three VERY important and vital elements of being truly pro-democracy in the United States that are utterly essential, and that the great majority of candidates of both major parties, and the party engines and ideologues themselves, have VERY bad track records at:

-Ending institutional suppression of Third Party and Independent candidates by restricting ballot access, FEC funding, Primary election support by the FEC, coverage and advertising equality, etc. as well as making the FEC nonpartisan, not bipartisan, and perhaps having a special set of courts with strictly nonpartisan membership with no appointment by elected politicians to deal with complaints about judicial irregularities separate from the standard federal courts, which are appointed by elected politicians and mostly for partisan and ideology spoils and patronage appointments, and thus cannot be trusted in this matter to render fair verdicts.

-Abolishing electoral institutions that favour the two party establishment, and greatly handicap other parties, or new parties, like the Electoral College and the First-Past-the-Post House Electoral Districts with State Government drawn (and thoroughly gerrymandered) district lines. These have also become antagonistic to true democracy.

-Getting big money out of the process, or at least severely limiting it's power (big corporate donors and moneyed special interest and lobby, especially ones originating from certain countries, like Israel and Saudi Arabia, in utter violation of U.S. campaign law on such foreign organized groups impacting U.S. elections, but those two countries, and occasionally a few others, have a blind eye turned to them - this must end). Also, corruption in government by big money must be recognized, and bribery and graft taken seriously as crimes and punished, not brushed under the carpet.

The United States will ALWAYS be lagging behind in democracy until these not-elephants-or-donkeys-but-big-animals-nonetheless-in-the-room have been addressed.

This would be part of Free and/or Fair elections.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Yes, but I do have to clarify this, because there seem to be those, even seemingly on this forum, who firmly believe, "free-and-fair," just has to mean balanced voting capability access and lack of, "malfeasance," between the supporters of the two major parties, and in those two parties' Primaries, alone, and the conduct of an election in that limited regard.

Don't forget to take this poll now that you've clarified this. Free and Fair elections would encompass what you are talking about.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

-Ending institutional suppression of Third Party and Independent candidates by restricting ballot access, FEC funding, Primary election support by the FEC, coverage and advertising equality, etc. as well as making the FEC nonpartisan, not bipartisan, and perhaps having a special set of courts with strictly nonpartisan membership with no appointment by elected politicians to deal with complaints about judicial irregularities separate from the standard federal courts, which are appointed by elected politicians and mostly for partisan and ideology spoils and patronage appointments, and thus cannot be trusted in this matter to render fair verdicts.

Also, the criteria for entering the debates should not be 15%. More like 5% or having full ballot access to 270 electoral votes (as long as America has the electoral college, that is).

Edited by Timur

As for the answer to the Civil Rights question--it depends. If "women's rights" mean abortion, then no. If it means that everyone should be paid fairly, then yes (granted that the wages are unfair).

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Although I'm not a supporter of free abortion, or using it as a form of birth control, or carrying on with it at the rate it is now, when it comes down to brass tacks, the life, and living standards and livability, of an actualized person (the mother) should always take priority over a potential person that is not yet actualized. To say otherwise is quite warped, twisted, and very disturbing of a point-of-view. That being said, I chastise both sides of the argument because they only focus on the rights of the mother vs. the unborn child, solely and completely, and utterly miss the real problem - the underlying social, economic, cultural, political, and religious failings of both Conservatives and Liberals/Progressives that leads to the abortion rate being so damned high, and the fact that the unborn child, if it does end up being born, is not given a damn about, nor it's mother, or any of their suffering and strife, AFTER actually being born...

Don’t forget to take the poll. 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

May I have a, "neither promote democracy nearly sufficiently, and both benefit highly, and without desire for change, from many highly undemocratic institutions, abuses of incumbency, and stacking of the deck," or a synonymous abbreviated, choice, for number 2, please?

Ok, I made a similar--more concise--option. 

The only reason I couldn't give my full support to all the questions is that these past few years have opened my eyes to just how overwhelmingly STUPID so much of our country is.  Like...intentionally, willfully stupid.  Proudly embracing their stupidity.

I have no problem with them being stupid in the privacy of their own homes, or with their families.

But when choices are being made that impact me and my family's well-being, I need the smart people to be at the helm.  

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

The only reason I couldn't give my full support to all the questions is that these past few years have opened my eyes to just how overwhelmingly STUPID so much of our country is.  Like...intentionally, willfully stupid.  Proudly embracing their stupidity.

I have no problem with them being stupid in the privacy of their own homes, or with their families.

But when choices are being made that impact me and my family's well-being, I need the smart people to be at the helm.  

I understand that. I don't consider myself a Populist. I'm more of what I would label as a Pragmatic Meritocrat Progressive. However, I think almost all these Pro-Democracy principles would lead to a more engaged, more knowledgeable, and relatively more rational populous than the current system or a more restrictive system. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I understand that. I don't consider myself a Populist. I'm more of what I would label as a Pragmatic Meritocrat Progressive. However, I think almost all these Pro-Democracy principles would lead to a more engaged, more knowledgeable, and relatively more rational populous than the current system or a more restrictive system. 

You are more optimistic than I am. ;c)

To be honest, I have little respect for "the people." If they are stupid, there should be no democratic government.

Who do the people choose? Andrew Jackson, Ben Tillman, and James Vardaman. Why, the elitist planter class politician LeRoy Perkins is preferable...

Edited by Timur

13 hours ago, Timur said:

Ben Tillman, and James Vardaman. Why, the elitist planter class politician LeRoy Perkins is preferable...

Tillman and Vardaman were populists but they weren't very Democratically elected. Both were elected during Disenfranchisement...99% of Blacks could not vote and almost as many poor whites could not vote. You had to be able to pay a poll tax, which a significant part of the populations, both black and white, couldn't afford in these impoverishes states. As such, the two were elected by elites and middle class. 

• Agree 1