The Political Lounge

Forum US SENATE Vote (1st bill of 2001-2003 session)

vcczar

Bush Tax Cuts Bill  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Did you sign up to play the Forum Senate Game?

• Yes, I'm one of the 20 that signed up. [You can proceed to the next two questions.
    • No, but I'd like to join. [Don't vote on this bill. Wait until the next bill. I'll contact you before hand]
    • No, and I don't want to play. [Don't fill out this poll, please]
  2. 2. Did you read my first post before voting?

• Yes [I strongly urge you to wait a day or two to vote to see what debate emerges]
    • No [Please read the first post]
  3. 3. Do you vote for the Bush Tax Cuts #1 Bill?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:03 AM

Gentleman @Patine, Gentleman @Pringles, may I kindly ask that the two of you refrain from discussing foreign policy in the middle of a debate on the merits of the EGTRRA bill? While I respect both of you immensely, and admire your passion for American Foreign Affairs, I must ask that you two, as well as every other Senator participating in this debate, keep the focus on the bill at hand.

I think it's quite clear that the Senator from Washington simply weighs our allies on the basis of which of them is supposedly "toxic" due to the presence of oil being there or whatever else he deems as an evil abomination. He states that Desert Storm was kowtowing to our oil allies... a typical excuse from an isolationist who simply despises the American role in such affairs, and not only America, the United Nations in assisting an ally being overtaken by a tyrannical force lead by Saddam Hussein. It's unfortunate that he shows no regard for the free people of Kuwait, who still remain free from the oppression and lunacy of leaders like Saddam Hussein. 

@WVProgressiveYou're completely right. And I apologize, I just felt my initial remarks necessary. I leave them at this. 

As the Yays pass the Nays, let me make it clear to the American people that the President and every man, woman or child who supported this bill ought to be known as symbols of fiscal irresponsibility and as supporters of the expansion of the national debt!

Edited by Rezi

9 hours ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Who are we waiting on @vcczar?

No one in particular. Basically, there's a timer on the poll. I'd like everyone to make some comment on the bill. Debate the merits or faults of it. Vote. We're waiting for 5 more votes. Although, I have a feeling @JohnGRobertsJr won't vote. I've never seen him post aside from signing up.

As the bill will pass, you all might as well make your statements on the bill (if you haven't already), and then vote on the bill. I'll post the next bill once we get the votes in: 

@Dobs @MrPotatoTed @WVProgressive @Rodja @JohnGRobertsJr @Cal @Rezi @DakotaHale @Sean F Kennedy @ConservativeElector2 @Cenzonico @Beetlejuice @Hestia @Patine @jnewt @Kitten @Magnus Rex @Pringles @The Blood @vcczar 

I will be voting against this bill, not because I am in favor of maintaining taxes as they are but because we must be wary of the loss in revenue. If we cut taxes now, we will never pay off the national debt. I urge my colleagues to reconsider their decision if they are voting in favor of the bill. Tax cuts will come my friends but when we finish paying off the national debt.

• Like 1

I am also opposed to this bill. Any loss in revenue should be carefully deliberated in light of our mounting national debt. President Clinton worked admirably to maintain a budget surplus while in office - Bush must do the same. If he intends to cut taxes, he must show us where he's cutting the military or other important programs to keep track to eliminate our national debt. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Patine said:

I reiterate my above strong concern and disappointment for the snub and derision shown the lower and working classes by this bill. This bill even has the audacity to be explicitly classist text in only applying said benefits the middle and upper classes, which is rare show of aristocratic conceit so blatantly. In the past, unfair, classist legislation was usually termed in more subtle, insidious language. Especially since the vaunted middle class was shrunk in actual percentage of Americans by the misguided and merciless economic policies of the Reagan Administration, from which U.S. society has not truly begun to recover. But now the gloves are off, and the classist elements seem free to termed in open and common legislative language. This also does not bode well for the future.

Don't forget to vote. 

Same for @Magnus Rex @JohnGRobertsJr