The Political Lounge

Who are your favorite teams and athletes?

jnewt

I'll start with mine:

MLB: 1. Boston Red Sox 2. St. Louis Cardinals

Nomar Garciaparra, Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Rafael Devers, Xander Bogaerts, Pedro Martinez

NBA: Boston Celtics

Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum

NFL: 1. Miami Dolphins 2. New England Patriots

Ricky Williams

College Football: Boise State

College Basketball: Georgetown

WNBA: Indiana Fever

Kelsey Mitchell

EPL: Liverpool

MLS: New England Revolution

Individual Sports

Boxing: Andre Ward and Errol Spence Jr.

F1: Lewis Hamilton

I don't really have favorites for other sports. Maybe Djokovic and Osaka or Serena for tennis?

The only sport I ever particularly cared about was football (NFL).  I used to be able to rattle off the names of at least 10 members of each of the 32 teams, how long it had been since they'd been to the Super Bowl, current win-loss record, even how their cap situation looked and what kind of moves they should consider to alleviate it.  

But priorities changed in 2020 due to COVID, and I don't think I watched a single game.  I intended to this year, but just not feeling it now.  

That said, I am planning to move back to my hometown of Pittsburgh next year, and then I'm sure I'll be a towel-waving rabid Steelers fan again.

NBA:

Phoenix Suns

Devin Booker, Jason Tatum, Shaquille O'Neal, Larry Bird, Luka Doncic

NFL:

Panthers

MLB:

LA Dodgers

College Football:

Clemson

College Basketball: 

Clemson

UFC:

Blagoy Ivanov and Connor McGregor

I am mostly neutral as I don't know the US sports teams enough and have no direct relation with them. However, I still have favorites.

MLB: 1. Minnesota Twins 2. Boston Red Sox 3. Philadelphia Phillies

Can't name a whole team. I like Jake Odorizzi.

NBA: 1. Boston Celtics, 2. Los Angeles Clippers

I like Ray Allen. I also remember Rajon Rondo positively

NFL: Traditionally the Arizona Cardinals. Nowadays I guess it's the New York Jets for me. Also have sympathies for the Buffalo Bills.  For the rest I care only for certain players/QBs (Brady, Mahomes, Lawrence, Darnold). I like Steelers coach Mike Tomlin the most.

College Football: Alabama Crimson Tide, Arkansas Razorbacks

College Basketball: completely neutral

WNBA: Atlanta Dream

EPL: Leeds United

MLS: New York Red Bulls

Individual Sports

Boxing: Rocky Balboa, Apollo Creed (just kidding) but Deontay Wilder

F1: Antonio Giovinazzi

Tennis: Rafael Nadal and Gael Monfils for men, Doi Misaki for women

Snooker: Ronnie O'Sullivan

Wrestling: Edge

Edited by ConservativeElector2

I should add that I could probably teach a course on NFL history. I’m that invested with the history. 1920-present. 

I wish there was a game that simulated the league from then to the present. I think my all time historical favorite player is Otto Graham. Picture Tom Brady but making the championship every year of your career and winning it 70% of the time. Also Graham had over 40 rushing TDs and had over 100 rating in an era when most QBs struggled to get a 70 rating. He also played on defense as a defensive back. 

• Like 1

MLB American League: Boston Red Sox National League: Cincinnati Reds

Ted Williams, David Ortiz, Joey Votto, Shohei Ohtani, Lonnie Smith, Roger Clemens

NBA: East: Washington Wizards West: Minnesota Timber Wolves

Steve Nash, Jayson Tatum, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, Allen Iverson, Donovan Mitchell, Luka Doncic

NFL: 1. Cleveland Browns 2. Buffalo Bills

College Football: Marshall University

All Other College Sports: West Virginia University

NHL: Boston Bruins

Individual Sports

Boxing: Connor McGregor

16 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Steve Nash, Jayson Tatum, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, Allen Iverson, Donovan Mitchell, Luka Doncic

Based Larry Bird and Luka fan. Very based indeed 

• Like 1

I feel weird rooting for college sports teams which I have no real connection to (e.g. Boise State and Georgetown). I wish I had some sort of familial connection to good D1 basketball or FBS schools, but the only connections I have are to schools with poor basketball and (possibly) football programs. A few of them have good hockey teams, but I've never cared about hockey. The school I went to freshman year before transferring has a good basketball program, but that was a terrible year for me so I'm not sure I want to remind myself by rooting for that basketball team. I have no other connections to good basketball programs, though.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, vcczar said:

I should add that I could probably teach a course on NFL history. I’m that invested with the history. 1920-present. 

I wish there was a game that simulated the league from then to the present. I think my all time historical favorite player is Otto Graham. Picture Tom Brady but making the championship every year of your career and winning it 70% of the time. Also Graham had over 40 rushing TDs and had over 100 rating in an era when most QBs struggled to get a 70 rating. He also played on defense as a defensive back. 

Football Mogul can do this (I forget how far back you can go actually, so maybe not 1920). But I've always had issues with the ratings they give players.

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

Football Mogul can do this (I forget how far back you can go actually, so maybe not 1920). But I've always had issues with the ratings they give players.

Football mogul goes back to 1951 only. The rate system and the state progression kinda such but there isn’t a competitor yet. They’re the only simulator that allows any history.