The Political Lounge

Beto for Gov

vcczar

Beto O’Rourke is reportedly planning to run for Gov of TX. Abbott’s approval is only 41% and polls are showing O’Rourke competitive but still an underdog. Actor M McConnaughy is beating Abbott in polls convincingly. I hope he runs too. 

O’Rourke has some work to do. He needs to recapture his form from his Senate run, when he was energetic and passionate. His presidential run was pulseless. I don’t think he really wanted to run for that office and it showed. 

If O’Rourke reignites the fire of his Senate run, I think he’ll win over some of those voters that prefer McConnaughy over Abbot but Abbott over O’Rourke. 

Typically Dems run a no name person for Governor. This will be a different election with a figure that all Texans know and whom many outside of TX know. There were a few elections in which even TX Dems didn’t know the Dem nominee!

Personally, I'm very against the idea of Beto running for Governor of Texas. He ruined his reputation with his 2020 run IMO and I just personally couldn't get behind someone who straight up said "hell yes we are going to take your guns." I'm interested in McConnaughy, but I'll have to see what party he would run as and what is platform would be first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Unfortunately I think Beto O’Rourke ruined his chances at winning state wide in Texas as soon as he said his comment about guns when he was trying to run for president. 

Agreed.  We need the next Beto.  Not the old Beto, who is already lifeless just four years after his senate run.  He mortally wounded himself in the presidential run, he won’t be elected in Texas now.

Maybe as a Texan who has lived 32 of my 42 years in Texas, I’m the only one that can find a Beto run as hopeful. As I said, Dems tend to run people for Governor that even half of TX Dems don’t even know. They don’t vote because the candidate has no name recognition, and as such, it doesn’t seem worth voting. I think most TX Dems don’t care about his gun rhetoric since he’s not going to get rid of guns or likely attempt to pass anything to change gun laws. Beto might not be an A Grade candidate anymore, but a B or C is better than the Ds and F candidates we’ve had running since Ann Richards in the 1990s. A Beto run is huge. The only other comparable candidate would be one of the Castro’s but they’re further left of Beto. McConnaughy would obviously be the one with the best chance to win based on polls. 

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Maybe as a Texan who has lived 32 of my 42 years in Texas, I’m the only one that can find a Beto run as hopeful. As I said, Dems tend to run people for Governor that even half of TX Dems don’t even know. They don’t vote because the candidate has no name recognition, and as such, it doesn’t seem worth voting. I think most TX Dems don’t care about his gun rhetoric since he’s not going to get rid of guns or likely attempt to pass anything to change gun laws. Beto might not be an A Grade candidate anymore, but a B or C is better than the Ds and F candidates we’ve had running since Ann Richards in the 1990s. A Beto run is huge. The only other comparable candidate would be one of the Castro’s but they’re further left of Beto. McConnaughy would obviously be the one with the best chance to win based on polls. 

I wonder if McConnaughy could be a Greg Orman-type candidate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_United_States_Senate_election_in_Kansas

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

The Second Amendment - a provision created for a dangerous, mostly rural (even wilderness) pioneer nation with scant law-enforcement, hostile neighbours and internal elements, brazen wildlife, undefended borders, and where men brought their own weapons when they answered the call of military duty, and weren't issued them on the Government dime and where the holding the Government to account by organized, armed militias was actually a realistic idea, could be said, rationally-speaking, to be highly outdated and outmoded as stated. But, guns have become a sick and twisted fetish of American culture - and the body count and disturbing and grotesque media imagery is there to prove it. This is the part of the U.S. Constitution in most need of immediate and sober review (though others definitely need review as well, like the EC and such), NOT the biggest part to dig into. The pioneer days and the Wild West are over, and this, "inalienable right," is the source of far more death, injury, and sick mentalities than any possible, marginal value of good it could have for any nation not under constant, military assault.

”Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety” - Benjamin Franklin 

Edited by Rezi
  • Based 1

32 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You may very well disagree with this but I think Lupe Valdez was a worlds better candidate than Beto would be. And she lost convincingly in a blue midterm.

• Based 1

45 minutes ago, Patine said:

I would dispute that the unrestricted right to own firearms is an, "essential liberty," in the modern day and age. Certainly Franklin would have thought so, but he lived in that self-same pioneer nation, not the U.S. today. Just because it was written down as an, "essential liberty," by a specific group of men around a little over 230 years doesn't mean it remains timely as such - with no negotiation or review for how the world has changed - into perpetuity. A lot of American political rhetoric on many of these Constitutional almost act as though the Founding Fathers were Prophets writing irrefutable Scripture, and certainly the statement that the U.S. Bill of Rights was delivered, "by Divine Providence," has been said by a disturbing number of people including two posters on this forum. NOTHING will change or advance for the better in the long term unless people think about what has been, what is, and where things should head to bring the best foreseeable results. Most mainstream political movements fail in key areas of this thinking, unfortunately.

I would argue that the right to own firearms is very much so an essential liberty. It's a combination of your right to protect yourself and your right to expression.

34 minutes ago, Patine said:

Also, with this quote, I fully assume you agree with me fully (I haven't heard your statement on the issue, directly) with the criminal trials of everyone in the Bush and Obama Administrations, and all Congressional enablers and supporters (including Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden) for passing and enacting the (Un)Patriot, and every member of the CIA, NSA, CSC, and DHS, and large numbers of the FBI and special military groups for it's enforcement, and trials with no punches pulled, classified documents freely cracked open as evidence, and pull deserved penalties of these criminal charges fully available, for this mass-scale and unprecedented assault on American liberty and due-process in the name of, "national security," with nebulous parameter. You agree, yes?

While I think the Patriot Act is a gross destruction of our civil liberties and that many of the organizations/departments you mentioned need to be scaled back or abolished, you still have yet to find someone on here who agrees with your idea that mass waves of American politicians need to be brought to trial and thrown behind bars. I wonder why?

• Based 1

3 hours ago, Dobs said:

You may very well disagree with this but I think Lupe Valdez was a worlds better candidate than Beto would be. And she lost convincingly in a blue midterm.

She had basically no name recognition. I had no clue who she was until she was nominated. I remember two politically-engaged friends forgetting her name during the campaign. This isn’t to say that outside of name recognition she’s be a better or worse candidate. You may well be correct in that matter. However, name recognition is crucial to voter turnout. Being the nominee isn’t enough. 

53 minutes ago, vcczar said:

She had basically no name recognition. I had no clue who she was until she was nominated. I remember two politically-engaged friends forgetting her name during the campaign. This isn’t to say that outside of name recognition she’s be a better or worse candidate. You may well be correct in that matter. However, name recognition is crucial to voter turnout. Being the nominee isn’t enough. 

I disagree with that last sentence. Name recognition is a bit of a red herring in general elections. It will win you primaries, sure, but likely voters know who the nominees are before they vote. It also gives a candidate a chance to control the impression made. Beto, for instance, has largely ruined his career by trading that away on a quixotic Presidential bid. He’s a weak gubernatorial candidate when all he can boast is name recognition attached to poor public perception.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dobs said:

I disagree with that last sentence. Name recognition is a bit of a red herring in general elections. It will win you primaries, sure, but likely voters know who the nominees are before they vote. It also gives a candidate a chance to control the impression made. Beto, for instance, has largely ruined his career by trading that away on a quixotic Presidential bid. He’s a weak gubernatorial candidate when all he can boast is name recognition attached to poor public perception.

Do you think he potential he could’ve been a good candidate had he not run for president and completely pissed that away? Him saying his comment on guns is definitely going to be played as a attack ad all campaign. Democrats need to understand a lot of blue-collar workers who on a lot of issues side with Democrats like guns.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

And the biggest demographic mass shooters come from is blue-collar working class families... ;S

Socioeconomic status actually seems to have no effect on whether someone will become a mass shooter or not. The only demographic that's more likely to be a mass shooter (other than the mentally ill, which is obvious) is white men.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

What is this guy's platform, other than being a, "folksy philosopher poet?"

Nothing, that's just his style. I saw a clip from a podcast not too long ago where he laid out some of his beliefs. All in all he'd fade part way into the race because of lack of substance or win and then just slowly experience a popularity drop

• Thanks 1