The Political Lounge

Who do you think will be an important politician in the future?

Timur

Back in 2016, the New York Magazine made this list. Very interesting.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/02/in-search-of-the-next-obamas.html#

Who do you think might be an important rising star?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Out of curiosity (as I don't actually know), other than her and Churchill (who I do know had previously had the office, too), how many British PM's in the past century had previously been Home Secretary.

Well, one of the main men to go to is Jim Callaghan, Labour PM 76-79, who is in fact the only PM to have held all four great offices of state. He's the only Home Sec. post war to become PM, not counting May. But my point stands that as someone who has held a high office for a long amount of time May was seen as a major contender

On 9/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Patine said:

Back on 270soft, in 2009 or so, a speculative (not fictional narrative, like so many were, at the time, including one by myself) for the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election was made. There was no Donald Trump. There was no Bernie Sanders. There was no Ted Cruz. There was no Rand Paul. There was no Marco Rubio.

There was Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney (not having been the 2012 nominee), David Petraeus, Todd Akin, Jacob Isakson, Sarah Palin, and some other in the Republican Primary.

There was Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Dianne Feinstein, Andrew Cuomo, Pat Quinn, Bill Cosby (!), Mark Warner, and a few other in the Democratic Primary.

Bloomberg was the only Independent, and the Libertarian, Constitution, and Green candidates, and the campaign issues, were the same as in the default P4E2008 2008 scenario.

Interesting, no?

I remember one...I think it was 2012...where the main Republican candidate was Michael Steele.

Anybody freaking remember MIchael Steele?  Ha.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Patine said:

Back on 270soft, in 2009 or so, a speculative (not fictional narrative, like so many were, at the time, including one by myself) for the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election was made. There was no Donald Trump. There was no Bernie Sanders. There was no Ted Cruz. There was no Rand Paul. There was no Marco Rubio.

There was Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney (not having been the 2012 nominee), David Petraeus, Todd Akin, Jacob Isakson, Sarah Palin, and some other in the Republican Primary.

There was Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Dianne Feinstein, Andrew Cuomo, Pat Quinn, Bill Cosby (!), Mark Warner, and a few other in the Democratic Primary.

Bloomberg was the only Independent, and the Libertarian, Constitution, and Green candidates, and the campaign issues, were the same as in the default P4E2008 2008 scenario.

Interesting, no?

I recognized the name Todd Akin but couldn't remember who he was -- and then I saw a news report on him today.   He was the "legitimate rape" guy...and died today.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:04 AM, MrPotatoTed said:

I remember one...I think it was 2012...where the main Republican candidate was Michael Steele.

Anybody freaking remember MIchael Steele?  Ha.

Yeah I do lol he was rumored recently to consider a bid to become Governor of Maryland.

9 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Yeah I do lol he was rumored recently to consider a bid to become Governor of Maryland.

I lived in Maryland 2012-2014 while I was working in DC.  I remember feeling at the time (as an independent) that Maryland was where Democrats lived and Virginia was where Republicans lived.

Funny how that's seemingly flipped for both states in such a short amount of time.