The Political Lounge

So who's ready for the apocalypse?

Wiw

This is the most demoralising thing... I've ever read. Yeah - worse than Orphan 55.

Basically, Section 230 of the Telecommunications Act or whatever is the ONLY thing that's keeping the Internet together at this point. In a few months, it'll probably be gone, and in the wake of it, millions of sites shut down, probably including this one. Meanwhile, a regressive news monopoly lobbies for draconian copyright laws which drive Wikipedia and the Internet Archive underground. Most all American libraries are closed, and 1984 is "banned", with all physical copies destroyed.

Worse still, the US, doubtless under a second Trump administration, listens to lobbies from fossil fuel conglomerates and withdraws from all climate agreements. They cause so much damage as a result that there is no way of saving the environment. Massive refugees are driven from poorer and warmer countries hit hardest by soaring temperatures and natural disasters. And, if Orphan 55 is to be believed, World War III will be fought over the remaining pockets of arable land.

Ultimately it'll be too much to bear - I'd throw myself into a canal somewhere. My ashes will probably be used to fuel the great uprising against the Evil Empire.

This is our fate. This is what we chose. There is no turning back.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

You do know that Orphan 55 is just an episode from a British tv show, don't you? You also know that the webpage you linked is just part of a fundraising camping for the Internet Archive, and for public libraries, right? They're not definitive readings of the future, they are not real. Your post makes it sound like you think these things are prophecies of what's to come.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, given this, "Rumsfeldopedia," seems to also be a work of political and military doomsday speculative future fiction he quotes like a book of sacred prophecies, as well...

I will admit Mr. Patine, I did laugh at Rumsfeldopedia. 😛 

That needs to be a thing 😛 

I am ready to fight the Enclave and to shelter on saturday october 23th 2077 at 79 when nuclear holocaust will happen.

By 2284 you can count me on the side which will oppose Brahmines barons in the NCR, #TandiForEver #NoRepubliCanInMySenate #WarmongerKimball.

Edited by Edouard
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Edouard said:

I am ready to fight the Enclave and to shelter on saturday october 23th 2077 at 79 when nuclear holocaust will happen.

By 2284 you can count me on the side which will oppose Brahmines barons in the NCR, #TandiForEver #NoRepubliCanInMySenate #WarmongerKimball.

AVE, TRUE TO CAESAR!!!!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Pringles said:

AVE, TRUE TO CAESAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Reject old tradition

Embrace simple tradition

Let's throw Kimball out of office and replace him by a democrat, he's down with republican Brahmine barons

Senator Sam Blackwell was based to put inquiries on the Enclave !!!!!!

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Sam_Blackwell

Edited by Edouard
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Wiw said:

This is the most demoralising thing... I've ever read. Yeah - worse than Orphan 55.

Basically, Section 230 of the Telecommunications Act or whatever is the ONLY thing that's keeping the Internet together at this point. In a few months, it'll probably be gone, and in the wake of it, millions of sites shut down, probably including this one. Meanwhile, a regressive news monopoly lobbies for draconian copyright laws which drive Wikipedia and the Internet Archive underground. Most all American libraries are closed, and 1984 is "banned", with all physical copies destroyed.

Worse still, the US, doubtless under a second Trump administration, listens to lobbies from fossil fuel conglomerates and withdraws from all climate agreements. They cause so much damage as a result that there is no way of saving the environment. Massive refugees are driven from poorer and warmer countries hit hardest by soaring temperatures and natural disasters. And, if Orphan 55 is to be believed, World War III will be fought over the remaining pockets of arable land.

Ultimately it'll be too much to bear - I'd throw myself into a canal somewhere. My ashes will probably be used to fuel the great uprising against the Evil Empire.

This is our fate. This is what we chose. There is no turning back.

Sounds like a good plot. You should write an apocalyptic novel...and maybe spend less time in alternatehistory.com

1 hour ago, Timur said:

Sounds like a good plot. You should write an apocalyptic novel...and maybe spend less time in alternatehistory.com

Knowing my luck, it'd probably get struck down for copyrights. Putting a copyright on history, who does that?