The Political Lounge

A potential supply chain solution

vcczar

I was perusing Biden's supply chain announcement he made today, announcing that the Port of LA will operate 24/7. I also noticed that some of the comment mentioned that Biden had previously mentioned that a lack of workers was the issue. Thus, we now have a situation with no extra workers but more hours. 

My solution is that the supply chain in areas where lack of workers are creating the slow down can be resolved several ways:

1. Send the National Guard and military forces at home to fill in the vacancies at ports or elsewhere in the supply chain. (Might require temporarily nationalizing the ports, if they aren't yet nationalized).

2. Convert federal workers in low priority areas to temporarily work in the ports or supply chains. (Might require temporarily nationalizing the ports). 

3. Fast track pathway to citizenship for undocumented or documented immigrants for working in the ports or supply chains, with the faster track for those documented.

4. Forgiveness of Student Loan debt for workers that work at the ports and supply chains until supply has reached status quo for a year or until 2024 is up (whichever comes first).

On top of this, Trump Tariffs need to be abolished.

Temporary reduction in taxation and subsidies for businesses making high-demand products at home that are usually bought in China, Mexico, or elsewhere, so that they can lower costs and increase production. I'd go so far as to remove almost all their taxation during the recovery, if necessary. 

Once vaccines have been created for all children, and a period of time has taken place to get them vaccinated, then abolish mask and vaccine mandates and encourage full reopening. At this point anyone that isn't willfully stubborn will have been vaccinated. Areas with high populations of pre-existing conditions, such as hospitals, will likely have to keep using masks.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, vcczar said:

I was perusing Biden's supply chain announcement he made today, announcing that the Port of LA will operate 24/7. I also noticed that some of the comment mentioned that Biden had previously mentioned that a lack of workers was the issue. Thus, we now have a situation with no extra workers but more hours. 

My solution is that the supply chain in areas where lack of workers are creating the slow down can be resolved several ways:

1. Send the National Guard and military forces at home to fill in the vacancies at ports or elsewhere in the supply chain. (Might require temporarily nationalizing the ports, if they aren't yet nationalized).

2. Convert federal workers in low priority areas to temporarily work in the ports or supply chains. (Might require temporarily nationalizing the ports). 

3. Fast track pathway to citizenship for undocumented or documented immigrants for working in the ports or supply chains, with the faster track for those documented.

4. Forgiveness of Student Loan debt for workers that work at the ports and supply chains until supply has reached status quo for a year or until 2024 is up (whichever comes first).

On top of this, Trump Tariffs need to be abolished.

Temporary reduction in taxation and subsidies for businesses making high-demand products at home that are usually bought in China, Mexico, or elsewhere, so that they can lower costs and increase production. I'd go so far as to remove almost all their taxation during the recovery, if necessary. 

Once vaccines have been created for all children, and a period of time has taken place to get them vaccinated, then abolish mask and vaccine mandates and encourage full reopening. At this point anyone that isn't willfully stubborn will have been vaccinated. Areas with high populations of pre-existing conditions, such as hospitals, will likely have to keep using masks.

1.  This isn't really what the military is for.  Has there been a national emergency declared?  The Burger King near my house seems to be consistently understaffed, where are the troops???  ;c)  I looked it up, the Port of LA is managed by the City of Los Angeles.  Not a lot of precedent for National Guard being activated to help out a city office, other than during natural disasters.  

Keep in mind the National Guard are part-time employees with day jobs unrelated to the military.  If they abandon their "real" jobs to pretend to be a warehouse worker on the other side of the nation, who takes over their "real" job during this time when staffing everywhere is such a challenge?

2.  Again, not a lot of precedent for federal govt employees (most of whom live in the DC area) deploying to the other side of the country to help staff a city office.  Can every city slash their budgets and just rely on the federal government to deploy federal staff to help them instead of hiring their own staff?  And what even is a low priority area?

3.  Presumably need to pass a background check to work in such a vital area, which has some national security implications.  These are particularly hard to do for applicants who are not US citizens.

4.  No complaints here