The Political Lounge

In a hypothetical situation, what would you do if you were in a zombie apocalypse? What would you do first?

carbonmonoxide321

I would definitely move out of California to start and move to a more secluded place like a canyon or somewhere high in the mountains. Preferred weapons are a crossbow obviously, as seen in the Walking Dead crossbows are extremely accurate and also packs a punch against skin and meat. I would also use a machete or some type of melee weapon that cuts through easily and maybe some type of sniper that isn't too loud and could hit a long range.

The Second Amendment applies in this scenario. Your life will depend on it.

Also, flee to the desert perhaps?

I used to be the spokesman of a 400 acre hospital about 20 minutes from my house.  I still have standing there, I know the key leaders, my background in crisis management would be valued.  They're set up to withstand a significant crisis for a significant period of time.  Shelter, food, obviously medical care, they even have their own police force.  My wife, daughter, and I would be safe there in the short term.

If that doesn't hold long term, we connect with friends of ours in town, who are gun nuts with a daughter who is friends with my daughter, so we'd stick together to protect the kids.  We make our way east to my dad's cabin in Pennsylvania.  Yes, that's a 7 hour drive under ideal conditions and it wouldn't be ideal -- but it's mostly through rural Ohio and PA, not like trying to get across New York or Los Angeles.  I have four wheel drive, I can cut across farmland if I need to.

The cabin is in the general vicinity of other cabins, which I imagine would become populated as many people in that area would have the same ideas -- so there would be other humans intent on survival, and hopefully we could band together.  But it's far enough away from cities that I wouldn't anticipate a large zombie population.  Staying there would likely be the long term play, until it became safe to return home again.

11 hours ago, Patine said:

What's your plan for when gasoline, munitions, new essential supplies, etc., start drying up, and even hospital and personal power generators can't be recharged? And water stops being purified and the putrid stuff in most of our urban and suburban area rivers and lakes is left? And long-range communication is dead? Not excoriation, but the questions of the LONG-TERM that many people forget in these types of questions.

I mean...probably die?  I’m not suggesting I’m immortal, just that I’ve got a basic grasp on what the first couple moves would be.

If I am unable to get out of California through car in time, I live in the part of Socal where it is more of a valley area - getting to the mountain terrain would be fairly easy and I would have a territory advantage - assuming these are The Walking Dead zombies commonly known as "Walkers" they are slow and I doubt they would get up the mountains fairly easy. On the other hand, my family owns a truck made for bumpy land terrain making it a quick ride to get to the top of the mountain. The city is big enough where we could make supply runs back and fourth in a safe route as there is some safe trails.

I would simply survive because I am an alpha-male badass who is built different.

I actually used to be super into disaster prepping. I do have some basic preps (mostly canned goods) and water stored still but I doubt those alone would last me over 2-3 months max. I need to get on top of my game. Due to my mom's outrageous couponing though we do have a five year supply of toilet paper, toothpaste, hand soap, air freshening sprays, and laundry products. (And Werther's. Idk how but she was able to score 800 bags for $20.)

3 hours ago, Patine said:

I find those when who keep spamming the Greek-letter hierarchy role (meant for canines/lupines only, and even then likely under obsolete studies) and using the, "alpha," reference constantly for themselves and those other men they admire, as if to constant reminders, are highly insecure and not fully confidant in themselves, much like women who dress in overly provocative and daring styles all the time.

Such an alpha thing to say

On 10/25/2021 at 1:41 PM, carbonmonoxide321 said:

I would definitely move out of California to start and move to a more secluded place like a canyon or somewhere high in the mountains. Preferred weapons are a crossbow obviously, as seen in the Walking Dead crossbows are extremely accurate and also packs a punch against skin and meat. I would also use a machete or some type of melee weapon that cuts through easily and maybe some type of sniper that isn't too loud and could hit a long range.

I’d go to Governor’s Island in NYC. It’s an old fortress island. I’d have to live off fish and figure out how to make drinkable water. I’d have access to a boat to take me to other islands

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Patine said:

I find those when who keep spamming the Greek-letter hierarchy role (meant for canines/lupines only, and even then likely under obsolete studies) and using the, "alpha," reference constantly for themselves and those other men they admire, as if to constant reminders, are highly insecure and not fully confidant in themselves, much like women who dress in overly provocative and daring styles all the time.

Well to be fair, his profile is a canine...

• Based 1

17 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I would simply survive because I am an alpha-male badass who is built different.

I actually used to be super into disaster prepping. I do have some basic preps (mostly canned goods) and water stored still but I doubt those alone would last me over 2-3 months max. I need to get on top of my game. Due to my mom's outrageous couponing though we do have a five year supply of toilet paper, toothpaste, hand soap, air freshening sprays, and laundry products. (And Werther's. Idk how but she was able to score 800 bags for $20.)

My new survival plan is to go to Dakota’s house.  

;c)

• Haha 1
  • Based 2

18 hours ago, Patine said:

I think he is joking.

• 3 months later...

Zombie fans — anybody playing Project Zombie?

I tried the demo years ago and didn’t like it at all.

But I’d heard they’d made a ton of improvements lately so I gave it another try and I LOVE it now.  Crazy detailed, a million valid strategies but no way to win...the opening tells you that you are re-enacting how you died.    Total open world, set up a base anywhere or nowhere, weather, seasons, a HUGE map replicating real world Kentucky, etc.  I’ve seen some people on YouTube survive for almost three in-game years...but eventually, everybody dies.

So far,, just a couple days into it, my record for longest survival is three days and four hours. Ha.  But it’s so addicting...I’m considering quitting my career and divorcing my wife so I get more playtime. Haha

• Based 1

4 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

But I’d heard they’d made a ton of improvements lately so I gave it another try and I LOVE it now.  Crazy detailed, a million valid strategies but no way to win...the opening tells you that you are re-enacting how you died.    Total open world, set up a base anywhere or nowhere, weather, seasons, a HUGE map replicating real world Kentucky, etc.  I’ve seen some people on YouTube survive for almost three in-game years...but eventually, everybody dies.

So far,, just a couple days into it, my record for longest survival is three days and four hours. Ha.  But it’s so addicting...I’m considering quitting my career and divorcing my wife so I get more playtime. Haha

Hm. Guess I'll have to try it. Saw a couple videos on YouTube but didn't check any of them out. Maybe I'll have check the game out.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 7:03 AM, MrPotatoTed said:

It is a very fun game. Once you get good complacency is the biggest killer. You get too comfortable, and open a door without listening first and suddenly five fuckers swarm and kill you. That’s how my last guy died after a couple months.

• Like 1

Just now, DakotaHale said:

It is a very fun game. Once you get good complacency is the biggest killer. You get too comfortable, and open a door without listening first and suddenly five fuckers swarm and kill you. That’s how my last guy died after a couple months.

I would obviously survive longer IRL due to my preforementioned reasons of being an absolute badass

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I made it 5 days and 11 hours today.  I knew the helicopter comes at day five, so I stayed inside.  Then I went out on day six...turns out I'd counted my days wrong.

40 zombies swarmed through the windows into my house.  I killed all of them without a scratch.

Proud of my remarkable stand, I began cleaning the house up again.  First order of business: disposal of the bodies.

Picked up a corpse, opened my front door -- whoops.  The helicopter had attracted another 100 or so zombies right outside my house.

So, 5 days and 11 hours remains my record.

• Based 1

My problem is I like to fortify in my starter house.  And not really "fortify" because I never get enough tools to do that.  Really, I just stockpile in my starter house.

Next try, I'm going to run for the hills.  My previous record before today was 3 days and 4 hours...I'd started out planning to stockpile in my house, but encountered zombies everywhere i turned so I just ran and ran until I got lost in the woods and eventually found a cabin to shelter in.  That was pretty good, until I needed to go find a can opener and got myself killed.

So, next playthrough:

Step one: Can opener
Step two: Cabin in the woods
Step three: Profit